PDA

View Full Version : Commercial heli pilot....

Vortex what...ouch!
19th Jul 2001, 15:46
As a 33-year-old 150 hour PPL(H) I am thinking of taking my commercial licence. I have no interest in becoming an instructor but want to fly helicopters for a living in some way. I am not interested in fixed win either, even though it pays better.

My question is it worth coming into the business? I hear conflicting stories of a shortage of rotary pilots, then that the North Sea will be dead in 10 years.

What sort of salary can I expect as a 3/400 hour CPL in, for example, the North Sea? I have some turbine time at present, about 55 hours on the 206b, the remainder is R22/44. What can I realistically expect to earn as my experience improves?

Who would you advise to use for the distance learning course? I have heard good things about Bristol. Do they do the additional heli bit as well?

Any honest advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Finals4TheOutsideWorld
24th Jul 2001, 12:02
The minimum hours requirement for police work (well, in my company at least) is 2000hrs of which 1500hrs must be PIC and 500hrs twin. I spoke to Bristows about some of their overseas stuff in Nigeria etc and they were looking for 3000+hrs. I can recommend distance learning if you are a person who can allocate, and stick to, set academic periods. It does require a lot of support and understanding from any immediate family (wife, kids) that you may have to give you time and space. It is also a very good idea to attend the crammer courses prior to exams to cement that information which has been correctly understood and adjust that which has been misunderstood. (it's amazing how you can make a total load of b#llocks sound convincing to youself if it isn't challenged by anyone else) I personaly chose PPSC for the NAV and CABAIR (as they were then) for the TECHS. If you do get stuck with any wiggly amp problems then try to track down (via this forum if necesary) a chap called Mike Burton. He is a whizz! Helped this airhead to come to terms with Elecs and get a first time pass.

Good luck with your endevours.

Finals

:cool: