PDA

View Full Version : Op Herrick

Vortex_Generator
5th Sep 2005, 18:26
Is the OSM awarded for Op Herrick? The only info I can find is for Op Veritas. Any references appreciated.

Melchett01
5th Sep 2005, 22:22
Yes I think it is. IIRC it's what Veritas was rolled into with all the other bits and pieces going on in and around 3rd Foot and Mouth's bit of the Empire! I think there may also be a NATO gong if you go in country (or at least there will be once they get out there), although I believe it's one or the other rather than both for one tour - unless any one has managed to wangle them both.

Just don't get sent to do your AF service in Qatar, the choc ice capital of the deployed air force - you don't get anything apart from a suntan for that one!:}

Proman
6th Sep 2005, 12:24
Based on personal experience yes for Herrick, but it took a debate with HQPTC medals section who needed to see Op order. A note from OC saw them right. And yes, if you're in Af you'll get a NATO medal as well. The NATO should be awarded during your tour - if you're at Kabul ISAF HQ you'll even get a ceremony. Not sure about HQ or Det level.

No medals in Qatar.

There's a long wait back home for the OSM to appear (year so far and counting...).

You can wear one or the other on your No 1 uniform (though some countries such as NZ and Aus do allow both and it was remarked upon in theatre and may change). But you can wear both as miniatures, on mess dress etc.

Don't know how true it is, but I've been told if there was a medal for 25 yard swimming you could wear that as well - no regs apply to mess dress. Is this true anyone?

Collapsar
6th Sep 2005, 13:11
Very sad answer to your question! Sad in that I knew where to look for the answer!!!!

AP 1358 chapter 8 says;
In no circumstances are medals awarded by private societies, other than those mentioned in subpara b, to be worn with uniform.To save you having to look it up, here is sub para bb. The medals of the Royal Humane Society, the Stanhope Gold Medal awarded by that body, the Medal of the Royal National LifeboatFinally, to answer your specific question0852. The regulations for wearing foreign insignia and non-military medals with evening uniform are the same as for wear with day uniformThe wait for OP HERRICK and OP DITTANY medals is because we are waiting for the reissue of the DCI (or should it be DIN), which is expected "in a couple of months". Expect to wait some time after that for the backlog to clear.

Vortex_Generator
6th Sep 2005, 20:52
Thanks for the info. Did Kandahar but heard no mention of NATO award.

Proman
7th Sep 2005, 12:07
Many thanks Collapsar, very thorough and I'll circulate it to colleagues. Don't know what we'll talk about in the bar in future...