PDA

View Full Version : Zeppelin over SA .... searching for diamonds ...

Gunship
5th Sep 2005, 16:39
A German-built airship or Zeppelin arrived on Monday in South Africa where it has been chartered by diamond producer De Beers for use as a platform for diamond exploration in southern Africa.

Astonished onlookers noticed the vessel floating near Cape Town's landmark Table Mountain after it was unloaded at the city's dock and took off for the Ysterplaat military base about 30km away. The cigar-shaped vessel sported the De Beers logo.

The airship, a prototype Zeppelin-NT of the Friederichshafen-based Luftschifftechnik GmbH and one of only three of its kind in the world, was flown from the factory near Lake Constance to Amsterdam and shipped to South Africa.

De Beers spokesperson Tom Tweedy confirmed on Monday that the company chartered the 75m long German airship that will be fitted with measuring equipment to enable the study of geological formations that indicated the presence of diamonds in South Africa, Namibia and Botswana.

The company plans to send the airship, named "Friedrichshafen" by its manufacturers, on its first mission in mid September. - Sapa-dpa .

The Link (http://www.finance24.com/articles/default/display_article.asp?Nav=ns&ArticleID=1518-24_1765474)

praenoscere
6th Sep 2005, 05:01
Yep I saw the Zeppie at Ysterplaat yesterday while driving on the N1. The article mentioned the distance from Cape Docks to AFB Ysterplaat as 30 km's!I wonder which route they took ????

phydeaux
6th Sep 2005, 06:18
Like most people in CT they calculated the distance around the Mountain:cool:

praenoscere
6th Sep 2005, 10:17
:D Was at AFB Ysterplaat this morning to oogle the Zeppelin look a like - lovely piece of work. Pictures are available at www.airpic.co.za

Gunship
8th Sep 2005, 16:27
ANd one from the web :ok:

http://vne-resource.iol.co.za/27/picdb/1/8/58345

krobar
10th Sep 2005, 06:18
From what I understand, the Bell Geospace equipment onboard requires a super stable platform, and had previously been mounted on caravans, but could only fly in stable wind conditions. Will be interresting to see how stable the ship is in the current windy conditions.