PDA

View Full Version : Heli PPL

Rigsby
12th Jan 2001, 04:39
Looking to do a rotary PPL in the very near future, can anyone reccomend a decent school near the Heathrow area....is there any merit in going to the states for this??

thanks in advance..

(not sure if this is the correct forum for this??)

Hughes500
12th Jan 2001, 15:32
I teach out of Thruxton on a Schweizer 300C, about 50 mins from Heathrow. Drop me an e-mail and I will pass on my phone numbers

SPS
12th Jan 2001, 17:20
Best close to you im UK? - FAST Helicopters
Thruxton.

Best place not in UK?

New Zealand.

www.helicopterpilotsguide.com (http://www.helicopterpilotsguide.com)

Flying Lawyer
12th Jan 2001, 21:42
HeliAir at Denham is not only very near LHR, but is an excellent helicopter school. (01895 835899)
If you go there, speak to either Quentin (Director) or Glenda (CFI).
Good Luck.
Tudor Owen

A109
13th Jan 2001, 01:52
The best school in the country, the nearest to Heathrow and instructing on the best instructional helicopter in the world ( Bell 47 Queen of the skies) is Alan Mann Helicopters at Fairoaks Airport on 01276857471 talk to Fred Cross or Ken Summers.

eden
16th Jan 2001, 14:00
Some advice that people tend to omit when looking at the commercial gain.
You need to consider some very personal issues:

1. Go to the nearest heli school that is going to suit you domestically and have maybe 2-3 hours instruction. It will get the juices flowing and also allow you to look at your instructor.

2. You must like your instructor and you must trust him/her. It is IMPERATIVE that you both get on and that he/she is :) someone you can get on with, reliable, experienced and patient.

3. You are about to experience open wallet surgery and you MUST be 100% happy. If you aren't you will lose confidence and get very frustrated. A good instructor will inspire the former and as a result you will perform to your optimum.

Lastly, there are lots of very good people out there and it is up to you to decide(with their help) how the show should run. It's your money!

After having decided who you like - keep them tucked away in the grey cells and get over to America and do the same thing at a CAA PPL(H) approved school. It is much cheaper and you will have some idea of what is good and bad before you get there.

If you want any more advice - email me very happy to elaborate.

Find the right teacher and you will have the most fantastic time...wish I was starting all over again myself.
regards

a