PDA

View Full Version : round the world trip

md 600 driver
2nd Sep 2001, 10:46
Round the World trip
Saturday 1st Sep - Launch Day minus 3

On Tuesday 4th September Simon Oliphant-Hope, flying an MD 900 Explorer NOTAR helicopter will start out on an attempt to smash the FAI Speed around the world, Eastbound, without refuelling in flight record.

The record has been held since 22nd July 1994 by Ron Bower of the USA who flew the course in a Bell 206B JetRanger III taking 24½ days to attain an average speed of 65.97km/h. Simon hopes to reduce this time to 19 days.

His epic race will start from Shoreham Airport at Eastern Atlantic Helicopters' base, flying Eastbound over Europe and Russia before overflying the Bering Straits, flying down into Canada and America then up to Greenland before finishing at Shoreham. He will have to fly 10-12 hours a day to maintain the average speed necessary to break Ron's record as the clock runs 24 hours a day. He has to do all the flying, only non-flying passengers are allowed.

The route has to conform to FAI rules to qualify and has been carefully planned by Jamie Chalkley to be the correct length, to avoid the Frigid Zones above 66deg 30min North and to avoid over-water legs beyond the rated parameters of the helicopter.

md 600 driver
2nd Sep 2001, 10:52
sorry forgot to add there is a website for the journey at www.easternatlantic.co.uk (http://www.easternatlantic.co.uk)

Capn Notarious
2nd Sep 2001, 12:55
An onboard mounted camera or two; would be the basis of a good documentry. Incidently: Does anyone know, if the filmed circumnavigation by Dick Smith; in a B206 VH DIK. Is avaliable on video/CD?

widgeon
2nd Sep 2001, 17:06
How much fuel does it carry for 25,000 miles ?. Surely the without refueling part is not right ?.

oops in flight refuelling , I should learn to read !!!. But what is the total fuel carried ?.

Just checked on the route , why the strange route throught the states , it would be quicker to fly down the US Canadian border surely.

[ 02 September 2001: Message edited by: widgeon ]

[ 02 September 2001: Message edited by: widgeon ]

hoverbover
2nd Sep 2001, 22:19
Hi Widgeon

The reason the route goes back and forth across the States is to make up the mileage, asthere is a set distance you must travel. As you could just fly to one of the poles and around it, to have flown around the world! So they must remain below (South) of 60 North( I think !) and travel a certain distance, hence the back and forth to make up the miles.

I think the fuel load is about 450 Gals, ferry tank fills up the passenger cabin! and gives about 5 Hours endurance @ 120 Kts (Again I tjhink these are near, Simon did tell me, but my memory aint what it used to be,old age and all)

Regards

Hover Bover

FLIR
2nd Sep 2001, 23:28
MD 600,
Hope all goes well with the attempt, and that it meets with success. As an MD 902 driver myself I hope that it does do well and prove to all the doubters out there that the 900/902 + NOTAR is a damn fine machine and worthy of note. Too many people slag it off without understanding how well the aircraft works!!

FLIR

Capn Notarious
3rd Sep 2001, 02:11
Explore or be bored.
902: the one for you

md 600 driver
3rd Sep 2001, 21:22
i have been talking to simon ollie today he says he is leaving at 5am in the morning

maybe now simon g get get my ship back together now he has stopped working on simon ollies ship :) :)

widgeon
4th Sep 2001, 01:14
Interesting side question , In the thread about the Transat glider it was mentioned that one engine would consume more fuel flying single engine then both engines notmally consumed at cruise. Does the same apply to twin engine helicopters ?.( the ones that can still fly OEI )

helmet fire
4th Sep 2001, 07:46
Good luck.

For widgeon: Generally twin engine helicopters will consume less fuel OEI than both engines operating, therefore you can generally go further OEI than twin engine, albiet at a much reduced IAS. This changes when considering wind. As best range speed increases when facing headwinds, there is sometimes a critical wind speed that will determine if OEI has better range than twin. For example, the B212 will cruise further OEI than twin engine until you face more than about 35 to 40 kts headwind. I believe this speed is fairly close to most other twins.

The 902 is full cat A OEI so even at max TOW he should have a high OEI drift down height and be able to fly further than he would have with both engines, wind aside.

md 600 driver
4th Sep 2001, 22:06
hes got to russia today left shoreham 5 15

Phil Kemp
17th Sep 2001, 09:28
I saw the machine in Ketchikan today when I passed through. An MD900 is an unusual visitor in this part of the world, so it suddenly clicked who it probably was.

Checked the web-site and read that it was indeed them, stuck in KTN.

I would imagine they are grounded given the current situation?

If I can be of any assistance to them whilst they are here, e-mail me.