PDA

View Full Version : Spiders

Farrell
5th Sep 2005, 00:40
I know we had a thread here a while ago about a jumping spider.

But I thought I'd introduce you to a Camel Spider......

Only ever saw one in the military but was delighted to see it again here on video.

Enjoy!

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/camelspider.html

VFE
5th Sep 2005, 00:42
No thanks.....!

Farrell
5th Sep 2005, 00:52
Nah seriously - have a look.

VFE
5th Sep 2005, 00:59
Seriously mate - they do my nut.

The mere idea of a spider, no matter how small or large, is enough to wreck my life.

VFE.

Whirlygig
5th Sep 2005, 01:03
I'm not looking either!! I'm following the advice of the all the people who say, "you don't have to read the post/click on the link" - Well I'm not!

Cheers

Whirls

Farrell
5th Sep 2005, 01:15
Dancing with the devil, going with the flow........just as long as there's no spiders in there ok? :p

Jerricho
5th Sep 2005, 01:21
Wow!!

That's a big bastard.

Go on peeps.........have a looksie. :ok:

worst-class
5th Sep 2005, 01:30
I'm generally a mosquito magnet, but I've been bitten twice in as many months in different hemispheres and would love to know the cause!
The first was in the beer garden (?!) of the Hyatt in AKL where I felt a sharp pain just above my ankle bone (and swiftly was advised to anaesthetize the injury by rapid and copious amounts of the only readily anti-venom, locally referred to as "below -42" mixed with soda, bitter lemon, or in extreme cases, neat...
The next day my ankle was severly swollen, itchy red raw with a a clear welt or blister over the bite site. Over the next few days I lost all visible contact with my ankle bone and the horrendous itchy site resulted in a shiny red- deep purple area.
I assumed this wwas some local native nasty, then to my horror, after frolicking in some woodland (nocturnally!) recently in Vienna, I experieneced the same symptoms again on the top of my foot ...serious, painful itchyblister followed by 2-3 days of a black-blue inflammed area. Is this a spider bite? I didn't think we had any biting spiders in Europe.
Advice appreciatted!
WC:sad:

Farrell
5th Sep 2005, 01:37
Oh there are loads of biting spiders in Europe.

You can find them EVERYWHERE!

In toilets, behind sinks, in wardrobes - they're all over the place.

They tend to run rather than bite though - you'll find you'll normally get bitten for rolling onto one or moving your foot the wrong way when they are around you.

In Vienna - I'm sure you're looking at a bite from a Grass Spider or a Wood Spider - nasty little bite, especially if you're allergic to them.
Although it might have been an ant - God Almighty ant bites can hurt.

Jerricho
5th Sep 2005, 01:55
I'll second Farrell's ant comment. Cue to typical Brisbane back yard. Hands up Brisbanites who have unknowingly sat down near a green ants nest.

As to fire ants............
:{ :{

Rollingthunder
5th Sep 2005, 02:01
The average human eats 6 spiders in their lifetime. In their sleep. Double up and get rid of more. Sleep well.

SyllogismCheck
5th Sep 2005, 02:03
It's not like it'd hide in your shoe now is it.... Is it? :ugh:

I reckon you'd still eat him quicker than he'd eat you if push came to shove... it'd run. I hope! :uhoh:

Rollingthunder
5th Sep 2005, 02:09
No it's scorpions hiding in your boots. Always tap them out in the desert. The ones with the smallest claws are the most lethal. The ones with the big claws are just irritating.

worst-class
5th Sep 2005, 02:22
Was wearing trainers and jeans the 1st time, sitting sedately on a concrete patio by bushes in Auckland....then open top sandals and messing around in the multch the 2nd time, divine retribution before
gatecrashing a posh opera party in our jeans....

Blacksheep
5th Sep 2005, 03:34
I like spiders. The bigger the better. We had 'Alice' living with us for a long time; we respected her and she respected us. You do have to respect a spider that's six inces across. The damned stupid dog didn't respect anything though, despite some interesting run-ins with a number dog-hating carniverous insects, and he finally paid the price.
Alice killed him and I had to punish her. With a flip-flop.

So, worst-class do be more careful and in future take those symptoms more seriously. Dog's front leg rotted away from the paw up the elbow in just two days and the vet said there was nothing to be done. We could take his leg off - dogs can live a fairly satisfactory life on three and we once had a three legged cat that could still climb trees - but his organs were also affected and his kidneys were dead.

We have another Alice now but she (or he - I haven't got close enough to tell yet) is a mere two and a half inches across and still just a baby. Dog's gone, (doggone it) and Cat died of old age so I don't think she's much of a threat to our remaining creatures. Does anyone know if spiders eat goldfish?

NZLeardriver
5th Sep 2005, 03:53
Disgusting video.
Got too many legs to be a spider tho.

allan907
5th Sep 2005, 04:01
I spent some time with the RAF Mountain/Desert Rescue Team when it was based at Sharjah in the late 60s. One of our tasks was to run desert survival courses and as part of this we kept a menagerie of the local critters for identification purposes. We had half a dozen or so camel spiders in a glass tank. Natural attrition (probably starvation) thinned out their numbers over time and they had to be replaced.

One weekend we had set up camp in the mountains - two open-topped landrovers spaced about 15' apart with 'scrims' laid out between the two. Over the scrims was laid a big canvas tarp.

As we were getting through our ration of beer by the light of the tilley lamps we could see shadows dashing about. "Ah ha", we thought, "camel spiders!". A fairly large one was spotted diving under the tarp so we thought we'd catch it for the menagerie. I armed myself with a 10 pint saucepan that was handy while the others gently lifted back the tarp. Once spotted I quickly put the pan on top of it while we sorted out something more appropriate to put the spider in.

A box was duly found and was placed next to the saucepan so that the spider could do a self-transfer. The saucepan was raised. Nothing. Raised a little more. Nothing. Maybe I was mistaken and hadn't got the damned thing. As I raised the saucepan gingerly over its full circumference the spider saw light all around and chose that moment to make its break for freedom. It scurried up the nearest tree-like object it could see - my leg!.

I was wearing desert boots and awfully short shorts. The spider went up the front of my leg and I could feel its feet meeting behind my knee! It headed straight up the leg of my shorts. The other guys watched me jump. From a straight standing start I went vertical and the soles of my boots were visible above the body of the landrovers!

I learnt about feckin spiders from that!

RaraAvis
5th Sep 2005, 04:04
You can find them EVERYWHERE!
Right, thank you ever so much:ugh: ...Really didn't need to read that bit about them evildoers hiding in the shoes...:sad:

Why oh why am I reading this thread, anyway??? :uhoh:

Farrell
5th Sep 2005, 04:06
NZLearDriver - you are correct

It's not technically a spider - it's part of the arachnid family though.

It's called a solifugae.

Farrell

RaraAvis......

The most horrendous type of crawlie that I have ever seen in my life is called a "matress spider"

No prizes for guessing where you'll find one of those!

Wannabe Flyboy
5th Sep 2005, 07:43
I should not have read this topic. I feel all tingly now and I keep thinking I have spiders on me.:{

And you can bet your life I'm going to tap my shoes before I put them on next.

Blacksheep
6th Sep 2005, 06:25
Tapping your shoes won't work with a REAL spider.

REAL spiders WEAR shoes. :E

mcluhan
7th Sep 2005, 06:02
in south-east asia spiders grow to awesome sizes , local kids catch them , keep them in boxes and have spider wrestling matches .
RA can i take you to see one ?:E :ouch: :O

RaraAvis
7th Sep 2005, 10:10
:( Eternally grateful of course but I think I'll pass...

Have seen those nasty eeevil monstrous crawlies much too close, an encounter which led to many sleepless nights and recurring nightmares ...

Was visiting my friends in their beach house, all was wonderful, lounging by the pool with chilled drinky.... most enjoyable and relaxing way to pass time.

That is until the kids of my friends started scurrying about, chasing each other around the pool, waving around some sort of plastic boxes.

How cute, thought I, such an idyllic afternoon... wonder what's in those boxes, though....

"Oh, it's just some big spiders they've caught" was the nonchalant answer.
Come on, how big - suddenly much awake and fully in fight or flight mode. :eek:

Not that it matters, if the 'thing' is big enough to be recognised as a spider it's much TOO BIG in my book. :*

"Oh, usually about the size of your fist... but don't worry, they're harmless!"

?!?!?!

Fist!!!!!! :uhoh: Harmless!!!! :ugh: Does it really matter if I die of a poison or a heart attack?!:sad:

Are they indoorsy types by any chance? Decided not to ask that, ignorance being a bliss and all - had to stay there for another 3 days and being marooned on a floaty mattress in the middle of the pool just wasn't that appealing...

It did take me forever to go to bed though, had to check under every pillow and blanket...

:uhoh:

SilsoeSid
7th Sep 2005, 10:28
Thank you Allan907, that's shivered me up for the rest of the day. :\

Interesting to hear about what they get up to;

"Mating habits are different from those of other arachnids. The male courts the female by stroking her with his pedipalpi and forelegs. This reduces her to a passive state, as if anaesthetized, whereupon the male lays her on her side. Raising his body he ejects a mass of spermatozoa onto the ground, picks it up with his chelicerae and forces it into the vagina. He closes the opening and waits a few moments and then hurriedly departs before the female has a chance to grab and eat him."
source (http://www.enhg.org/b/b16/16_25.htm)

Good Lad !!!

Gingerbread Man
7th Sep 2005, 12:57
Why is there a breed of spider that lives in houses? Surely they must be outdoor spiders until they happen upon a house they like?
The fear of spiders intrigues me. I can handle things up to a couple of inches across, but beyond that I get jumpy, and no matter how much I tell myself it's stupid, i'm always a little bit nervous when around spiders. Why is it so hard to shake an instinct? And if it's an in-built response, why do some people not have it? Why can some people be passive about plate-sized spiders, when we are supposedly programmed to be afraid of them?

Ginge ;)

Rollingthunder
7th Sep 2005, 13:03
There are spiders that live in clocks. They keep the mechanisms clean. Nice spiders.

catswhisker
7th Sep 2005, 14:18
Fascinates me too, Gingerbread Man. Must be territorial in some way. I mean, the reaction. I have no problems at all with garden spiders, the big fat things that hang in those lovely webs. Or withg any other creepy-crawly... A HUGE daddy-long-legs landed on my shoulder last night, sending others in room running and screaming. I barely noticed; when I did, picked it up, gently, and put it outside. Cockroaches, no prob. Or even, oddly, big house spiders in other peoples' houses (though I'm not keen).
But those big hairy house spiders (the "tegenaria") we get in the UK, specially at this time of year, in MY house.. Hate 'em, hate 'em, loathe 'em. Go to silly lengths to avoid them. And do kill them (if I can get near enough; the worst tragedy of my life is if it runs under the bed/sofa.. Then what???) although I know they are "good", not to mention lucky. So, I would love to know the psychology of it. Any psychologists out there??

MadsDad
7th Sep 2005, 14:25
Speaking as someone who has arrived home in the evening (admittedly from a trip down to the pub, so I suppose it was my fault really......) to find my wife stood on the sofa. Upon asking what I thought was a sensible question ("why are you stood on the sofa in the lounge at half past elen at night, my dear?". Seemed a reasonable question at the time anyway) I was informed that there was a large spider SOMEWHERE in the room and she was not leaving until it had been 'dealt with'.

At two in the morning, with no furniture left to shift (she had moved from the sofa to allow me to drag it across the room to check underneath it by then) it was accepted that Boris had made his escape and that sleep was a good idea.

Never did find the damn thing. And people wonder why I hate spiders.

airship
7th Sep 2005, 14:44
The arguments some people have put forward in trying to excuse their nonchalant spider-squishing activities don't have a leg to stand on IMHO :mad:

Final score: Humans 2...Spiders 8! ;)

ORAC
7th Sep 2005, 15:34
Japanese Spider Crab (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2a/Spider_crab_at_the_Kaiyukan_in_Osaka%2C_Japan.JPG/800px-Spider_crab_at_the_Kaiyukan_in_Osaka%2C_Japan.JPG). Not a spider, but big - leg span up to 13 feet... :}

Maude Charlee
7th Sep 2005, 16:54
Whose the daddy?

Big bugger (http://www.gotaxe.com/gallery/album10)
And again (www.extremescience.com/BiggestSpider.htm)

The size and power of the Goliath bird-eater makes it possible for them to eat larger prey. They rarely eat birds, although they may eat hatchlings. Its usual diet consists of frogs, small snakes, beetles, insects, lizards and even bats and pinky rats. They don't have any special hunting technique, like building webs or leaping on their prey. They will sneak up on their prey and pounce on their victim, injecting them with venom which paralyzes them. They will often carry their prey back to their burrow or a safe location to eat it at leisure. They don't have teeth to tear or chew their food, but regurgitate digestive juices onto their victim. The juices break down the soft tissue making it possible for the spider to suck up the liquid and eat its meal.

:E

Duckbutt
7th Sep 2005, 17:18
I knew damn well I would get a shiver down my spine if I opened those links so why the hell did I do it!

And how could that man or woman bear to pick the damn thing up with his or her unprotected hand!

:yuk: :yuk:

VFE
7th Sep 2005, 18:36
Precisely the reason why I have not opened any links on this thread Duckbutt.

It pisses me off no end at this time of year when the big black ones come trooping out (usually after about 8pm) across my house.

Last night one scarped across the living room floor but Mum managed to squish him quick-fast - nice kill mum! Then this morning there was one asleep on the toe of my work shoe. Cheeky f****r! He bought it too...... But it made me think: what if he had been asleep in my shoe eh?

There should be a law passed so that they are all made extinct.

VFE.

PS: Catwhisker, PM or email me your mobile number as I haven't had it since I lost my mobile earlier this year! Hope you are well. X

Davaar
7th Sep 2005, 18:50
I killed one treacherous b*st*rd yesterday. Hotel basement garage, walls and ceiling all white. Being repainted in even whiter white. Parked car. Got out and there was this evil swine (totally white) crawling up the windshield. The outside, thank Heavens. He must have been just waiting for me, did not waste a moment, and he could as easily have jumped on me. Pretty poor show when they resort to camouflage. Anyway, it was the work of a split second to slip off the tasteful wing-tip slip-on, and splatter him. Did not have the vacuum cleaner with me, of course, in my time of need. Normally I delegate these tasks to Frau Davaar, but I was alone, and a man has to rise to the occasion.

Farrell
7th Sep 2005, 20:25
Anyone ever catch a big spider on the flightdeck?

I hear that under the seat in any aircraft is a favourite hiding place for the "Ankle Spider"

It's a bizarre creature, attracted by the smell of shoe leather. They say it's bite is painful, but not fatal.

Safe skies folks.

tilewood
7th Sep 2005, 20:29
We used to have crews based on contract in the Oman
in the '70s. They came back with stories of 'ghost spiders'.

These were very small and transparent. At night they would
climb onto the bed, and whilst the person was asleep the spider
would inject a numbing agent into either a lip or earlobe.

It would then happily chew away. In the morning the unfortunate
victim would wake up to find a very sore and mangled
lip or ear. Or any other soft and spongy exposed part!

Now whether this is fact or fiction I don't know.

Maybe another 'ppruner' knows the truth. :eek:

Rollingthunder
7th Sep 2005, 20:32
Just caught and released a big one that was on the living room curtain. I blame this thread.

However, nothing was worse than stripping down the cabins on the PIA DC10s we traded for many years ago. Enormous cockroaches scurrying everywhere. Not one had a passport. Prefer spiders over cucarachas.

Then there was the dragonfly we caught in cargo. Big enough to have "Canadian Helicopters" printed down the side.

FLCH
7th Sep 2005, 20:32
Dunno about a spider, but I did chew my arm off, so as not to disturb an ugly girl I woke up next to her after an all- night drunk !!

iskandra
7th Sep 2005, 21:07
Each year, we get these huge brown hairy spiders in our loo, and they scare the sh*t out of everyone- except me. I like them. They eat flies, and are kind of cute hairy pets. I find it amazing how many men seem to be afriad of the little buggers!

Jerricho
7th Sep 2005, 21:11
I like them. They eat flies

"I don't know why she swallowed a fly............." (Sing along now)

iskandra
7th Sep 2005, 21:15
Ahem, that's not because I like to eat them, too. I like to share! :ok:

worst-class
8th Sep 2005, 00:13
"Dog's front leg rotted away from the paw up the elbow in just two days and the vet said there was nothing to be done."

Damn, I'm not especially scared of spiders but I knew I should've checked in with the clinic, especially since my leg's now gone black from the ankle to the knee...

Hopefully it'll clear up by itself as I can't see a near window in my roster for the next month....

:eek:

I'm only joking for those serious arachniphobes out there! All is well after a few days of intense discomfort and some serious anti-histamines!!!

Blacksheep
8th Sep 2005, 02:06
To be fair to our arachnid friends, the vet said it could be a snake bite from a juvenile serpent. Dog (his real name was Little'un but Dog's easier) was pretty dumb about wild life. I found him having a fierce argument with a couple of yards of angry King Cobra at 2 am one morning. I left him to it and called the Fire Brigade. Then there was the time he grabbed a large Monitor by the tail and the two of them were running round in circles trying to eat each other. The maid sorted that one out. Dog must have wondered why she always chucked a bucket of water over him whenever he was having fun... :E

Compared to some of the things in our garden a six-inch Huntsman living under the sofa is no big deal. BTW did you know that pound for pound by body mass, the common Daddy Long Legs is the most venomous creature on earth? Now, how many of them have you drowned without batting an eyelid?

allan907
8th Sep 2005, 03:14
Tilewood What you describe fits the camel spider to a tee (except for the size - camel spiders are 'kin big). In Oman that is almost certainly what it was. The camel spider has a quick nibble to inject a local anaesthetic and then comes back when all has calmed down to leisurely dine.:yuk:

worst-class
8th Sep 2005, 03:56
Well I've lived in the "desert" for nigh on 5 years now, talked to some right old desert dogs and have never so much heard a of a one -on-one encounter of the elusive "camel spider": which incidently is a member of the scorpian family and very shy. So unless you're some mad Ray Meares fanatic or bored squaddie in the desert, you're unlikely to encounter it!

x

RiskyRossco
8th Sep 2005, 05:41
Have to say one thing, you probably won't believe it :O but put yourself in the spider's place.
There you are, trying to get through the day, looking for food and avoiding incarceration in some science geek's terrarium, or prematurely shuffling off this mortal coil under a shoe, when this H-U-G-E thing looms over you. And it's H-U-G-E , and suddenly an appendage as big as you, with an odd number of legs, advances towards you.
**** me! Will I be fast enough to get away or dare I turn my back on this?

Frankly, I have no problems with the arachnid family, they're more scared of me than I could ever be of them. ;) ( which I'm not, btw. .. )
I know this. I also know the worst any spider in my country can do is bite. I know where the bad bu66er$ are so I can avoid them. And, I know what most of the bad bu66er$ in other countries look like, so I can avoid them.

RaraAvis
8th Sep 2005, 07:01
RiscyRossco ;)

:* I have absolutely no sympathy, none, nada, towards the whole arachnoid's family...off my planet I say!:* :* :*

There will be no 'looming' over any of those creepy critters, once detected, 'a prince' with a shining fly-swatter shall be summoned immediately, in the absence of the said 'prince', a hasty departure is in order.

When chased by such revoltingly terrifying monster one can ran pretty fast even on high heels....:rolleyes:

Note to self: Must keep 'a prince' handy at all times... better yet, couple of 'princes'...:hmm:

VFE
There should be a law passed so that they are all made extinct
Hear! Hear! Second the motion!!!!

Farrell

The infamous ' Mattress Spider' and 'Ankle Spider' are of the family of Arachnoid Spucatum Tauri , are they not?:}

Gingerbread Man
8th Sep 2005, 12:48
No no no, I don't believe killing house spiders is fair. Its my problem rather than theirs, so they just get evicted. They probably come back in straight away, but that doesn't bother me until I see them again - then it's off to get the glass and postcard. In halls at uni I evicted one from three floors up and watched as it gracefully glided down onto a car bonnet, and then wandered off - amazing retardation. I see an encounter with me as a sort of red letter day for spiders.

Ginge ;)

worst-class
15th Oct 2005, 08:02
Personally I never kill house spiders as I have a personal vendetta against frikken MOSQUITOS! (Hey, maybe I've got sweet blood as, if it's out there it'll probably take a bite of me!)

As far as I can assertain more mozzies have killed (and definitely ruined holiday tans!) than spiders have.

I was merely curious as to what species attacked me - and amazed at the short incidence between bites and global distance!

Don't hate arachnids at all, but don't relish the thought of being bitten again. If I do, does anyone have any advice on how to relieve the discomfort (assuming it's the Kiwi/European type?!)

W-C

arcniz
15th Oct 2005, 09:06
worst-class For your next spider bite try papaya extract. The crystal form is best. It is sold as meat tenderizer. Moisten and rub on the wound and surrounding area. Even the juice from fresh papaya can help some, but is not as concentrated. The papaya enzyme breaks down the molecules of venom, etc. that are trying to digest you.

Before the papaya, I would apply a few minutes soak of alcohol or (better) hydrogen peroxide to kill back some of the bacteria in the wound. Salt could do this to a lesser degree. So can bicarbonate of soda, which also seems to help the itching effect of many kinds of bite.

In our country home we have a large standing population of spiders who are mostly given the run of the place. They set up regular territories, somehow never over-populate, and control nearly all other bugs with skill and gusto. Like eight-legged cats, they are.

Spiders that stray into people areas are gently captured with a bit of thin card-board and a glass, then ushered out to the garden. The only ones that warrant a warning for visitors are the violin spiders who have guarded the dried foods cupboard with good effect for many generations.

RAC/OPS
15th Oct 2005, 09:37
They reckon that if you are afraid of spiders you have no problem with snakes and vice versa. That's true for me. Used to go to sleep with huntsman spiders on the bedroom wall, no problem and merely brushed redbacks off the firewood so they didn't get their little legs burnt!!.

But snakes FFS! Had a red bellied black clamber into my car one morning at the old BN FSC. Turned me to jelly it did. The brave Firies who turned up to squirt it with their CO2 extinguishers weren't getting too close either! Don't blame them. And yes it was still in the car when I got home. Was safely dispatched by a deaf farmer but that's another story.

MyData
15th Oct 2005, 10:04
For those who really do have a fear...

My wife cannot bear to see even pictures of spiders, and so every September time we have the annual house invasion here in the UK - is it because it is getting cold outside?

Anyways, this year I needed to take decisive action in order to minimise the impact of the forthcoming invasion. Did some research on the wonderful interweb thing and found a company in the US of A that sells 'Spider Traps'. Basically a piece of cardboard with very sticky stuff on one side. Either lay it flat or fold it into a prism shape then leave by the skirting board behind the telly. The spiders simply walk into the trap then get, quite literally, stuck.

Blimey. Did that work! Only 2 spider 'episodes' throughout all of Sept - usually they are a daily event.

Look in the trap and it is like a spider cemetary. Loads of them there, all dried up and dead. I didn't realise we had that many coming into the house!

A fantastic solution to the problem. Go out and buy some today - you know it makes sense.

Farrell
15th Oct 2005, 13:26
Mosquitos get an instant death sentence in my quarters.

No Mr. Nice Guy, no scooping them into a glass and then back outside again.

Just splat! I hate them, they take lumps out of me, the bite itches for a week and turns all sorts of colours.

I am a mossie terminator...........no mercy.

flyblue
15th Oct 2005, 16:19
Someone else moderate this thread, please Mods :* :yuk:

ShyTorque
15th Oct 2005, 16:24
((:E)) Spiders are our friends. Leave them alone ((:E))

stellair
15th Oct 2005, 17:45
I like that shy (((:E))) :ok:

carbheatcold
15th Oct 2005, 18:14
Doesn't the brown recluse spider bite leave a potentially flesh eating bite?

chc

dmanton300
15th Oct 2005, 18:49
Snapped this chap in a dark corner of my living room a week ago:-
http://www.btinternet.com/~drewe/spider01.jpg

He's maybe two-two and a half inches across. . .relatively tiny in the world of spiders but quite an eyecatcher in a small living room here in blighty! He's welcome to stay as long as he likes, we're spider friendly in this house.

Farrell
15th Oct 2005, 19:49
There is a spider called a Brown Recluse and that is one of the only spiders that scares the pants off of me.

I have some photos of a an actual bite and it's progression if anyone wants the link.

Will not post it here though as pictures although very educational, are very graphic.
(Unless a moderator wants to give me permission to post it)

Helli-Gurl
17th Oct 2005, 11:31
I love spiders...think they're great.....you're right about the brown recluse spider, necrosis sets in after the bite and rots you from the inside out....not much that can be done.

Went on a spider handling course at Cotswold Wildlife Park with my sister who's petrified of the things and got to handle some big bad mothers there....certainly did a lot to dispell the myths, well worth doing something like that, I believe lots of places do them, wether you're scared of them or not you'll learn a lot and get to see some truly great creatures

x

Farrell
17th Oct 2005, 11:46
The spiders simply walk into the trap then get, quite literally, stuck.

That has to be the most inhuman device I have ever come across.
Do you feed it for the rest of it's life or just leave it to die? :*

DiscoChocolate
17th Oct 2005, 12:06
...who's petrified of the thongs and got to handle some big bad mothers there .....

surely big bad mothers in "thongs" would make her fear worse!?!?! :)

Volmet South
17th Oct 2005, 16:12
Helli......my sister who's petrified of the thongs

unlike your ex by all accounts :ok:

They must really chafe after several hours in the cruise. :uhoh:

MyData
17th Oct 2005, 21:31
That has to be the most inhuman device I have ever come across.

Do you feed it for the rest of it's life or just leave it to die?

Farrell. They are dead by the time I get around to inspecting the trap usually every other day. But then again I generally find the corpses of spiders around the house and garage later in the year. The ones that didn't find any food in the house and died where they ended up.

Spiders don't bother me, but I know of 3 people who are absolutely terrified of them - and I mean they get nightmares and great distress. It is a very real problem that hypnotherapy and other solutions just don't fix.

I've read a lot about it in an effort to get these people some perspective on the situation. Most conclusive evidence is that these people are traumatised when young by a parent or elder sibling who also has the fear of god put into them and so spiders are always seen as very frightening creatures that they can't bear to be around or even acknowledge are in the same room.

Any child of mine is going to learn to play with them and appreciate them from an early age...

So, cruel? Yes, I guess, but when you see the extraordinary impact this can have on some people then it is a measured response IMHO.

Helli-Gurl
17th Oct 2005, 21:34
I bet they did VS, would explain why he walked with a bit of a mince?

Davaar
17th Oct 2005, 21:41
What amazes me is the sang-froid of arcniz:

Next? NEXT? That implies these things, or thongs, or if you are from Texas, thangs, but whichever you like, I'm easy, are commonplace. It would take but the first spider bite to get me out of the country. The cockroaches in Bermuda were bad enough. They have wolves, I see, in Iqaluit, but not in the houses; it is cold, but no spiders in the snow.

flyblue
17th Oct 2005, 23:28
Farrell, just post the links and not the pictures so I can keep moderating this -shudder- thread :ugh:
Where are big brave hairy Mods when you need 'em???:{

G-CPTN
17th Oct 2005, 23:43
>Most conclusive evidence is that these people are traumatised when young by a parent or elder sibling who also has the fear of god put into them and so spiders are always seen as very frightening creatures that they can't bear to be around or even acknowledge are in the same room.

Verrrryy Interestink! As an infant I was taunted by my 7 and 9 years-older siblings. One subject was spiders - large (English) spiders that were caught in jamjars (where their 'fangs' would be pointed out) before the inevitable torture (of me) began. Although non-squeamish about other creepy-crawlies, I grew up with an irrational fear of spiders. It took 30-40 years for me to face-up to my fears and now I can tolerate them (though I don't 'handle' them).
Likewise swimming. It was 'fun' to throw their baby brother into water (knowing that I couldn't swim) and it took me until well into adulthood before I could face-up to water above chest-level (and take swimming lessons). I'm still not a good swimmer, but I can float and breast-stroke for survival. Never managed the crawl.

Whirlygig
18th Oct 2005, 00:17
Also verrrryy interestink!!

I am an only child and both my parents are more than happy to pick up spiders WITH THEIR BARE HANDS!!!! I am shite-scared of the bastids.

My mother, on the other hand, has an all-consuming fear of earwigs from which I had to rescue her when I was four years old.

So no, I can't believe it's taught! It's a fear, it's irrational!

Cheers

Whirls

SyllogismCheck
18th Oct 2005, 00:56
I haven't seen an earwig in years. Are they in danger of becoming extinct? :hmm:

I don't mind spiders unless they sneak up on me like the one that appeared on my arm from nowhere the other evening did.
He got splattered due to a reflex action. :(

Even a regular large English house spider will try and have a nip at you if antagonised. :E

Although, of course, they're unable to puncture the skin to inject their venom... which, apparently, causes about as much discomfort as a wasp sting if they do somehow manage to.

Whirlygig
18th Oct 2005, 01:00
No, my mother is convinced that they travel through wormholes in spaces and arrive in her roses here in sunny Norfolk ;)

Cheers

Whirls

SyllogismCheck
18th Oct 2005, 01:02
Ah, that's where they all are then. I won't open the earwig sanctury just yet in that case.

Davaar
18th Oct 2005, 01:20
Mind you, it is remarkable what they do. I am not talking abnout your miserable house spider that creeps around terrifying people, but those chaps who live in the garden. The webs mystify me. Some of them are very big and need a bit of anchoring. Seems to me the spider has to run up one tree, get the web achored, then climb down paying out the slack, run across to the other tree keeping the web from getting stuck in the grass, then climb the other tree, get up to a height, then tighten the web across the gulf. That is just the start, because this just gives him the upper guy-rope as it were, and now he or it probably is she has to start on the internal pattern bit. You can't tell me it is all that easy. Stands to reason.

Blacksheep
18th Oct 2005, 02:09
Alice's offspring has reached 4 inches across now, but has lost a leg. (Its OK flyblue, I won't post a picture) Her Mum had all eight legs and used to eat Gekkos for supper, so I'm a slightly concerned about what lurks in the house, ripping the leg off a 4 inch Huntsman.

larssnowpharter
18th Oct 2005, 06:01
Farrel:

Anyone ever catch a big spider on the flightdeck?

I have always been rather spider friendly considering them more like ugly ladybirds.

I didn't catch this one but:

Flying a glider in Oz, about 30 mins after launch, my attention was attracted by a movement between my feet. I saw a rather large (to me) spider peeking out from a webby nest type thing it had made in the nosecone about 6 inches in front of my feet.

I thought nothing much of it and continued on a rather pleasant 300 km task up to Wagga Wagga before heading South. I did observe that at altitudes the spider was less active. May have had something to do with there being less O2 or the cooler air.

On landing, I turned the glider over to its (Ozzie) owner and made a comment about the spider and housekeeping. He looked down at it and said in Strine:

'Strewth, mate! That's a feckin' funnelweb!'

He then elucidated that the funnelweb was a breed of arachnid that was particularly poisonous and was to be avoided at all costs. He had the glider fumigated.

One learned about flying with unmanifested pax from that!

Loose rivets
18th Oct 2005, 06:46
But I thought I'd introduce you to a Camel Spider......Only ever saw one in the military........

Flippin heck! How did they get a uniform to fit it?

we get these huge brown hairy spiders in our loo, and they scare the sh*t out of everyone

This had me in fits. Must get some huge brown hairy spiders for me constipation.

Davaar
18th Oct 2005, 07:01
My dear Lars:

I note your name with interest. It suggests you are of ancient and probably Skandihoovian lineage. Although myself only partly so privileged (a cadet relationship with Tankerness in Orkney), I do move from time to time in Canadian-Icelandic circles and have thus acquired a passing acquaintance with the sagas. Is it possible that you carry the, aaah, torch of the great names so noted in song and Yes! Dash it! romance, now Alas! long gone as, we may speculate, Eystein Foul-Fart? A proud tradition.

MyData
18th Oct 2005, 07:10
Regarding the spinning of webs.

This link takes you to experiments on SkyLab where webs were spun in space:

http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa020303b.htm

But I find this one more informative, the effects of web spinning when under the influence of Marijuana, Benzedrine, Caffeine and Chloral Hydrate...

http://www.coffee.co.uk/spiders.html

Loose rivets
18th Oct 2005, 07:18
By the most incredible coincidence, I was thinking about arachniphobia SP? this morning.

I used to sit in the lounge and pot at them with me BSA Airsporter cos I was so afraid of the little sods. When the kids came along, we decided that it was necessary to show no fear and we would play with them out in the garden (in piles of brick etc) by prodding them with twigs. After a while, I noticed that they seemed to get fed up er runnin, and would mooch along all dejected like. This somehow gave me courage to get to the next stage.

I was interested in microscopy then, and studied bits of house spiders at X 90 or so. Fantastic. Have you ever seen the foot of a house spider? It's like three tortoiseshell combs. Don't know how it works.

One day I found a pretty white spider which was about 1mm across. It stood quite still and looked fantastically beautiful. I screwed a lens round that made the spider seem huge.

Suddenly it scuttled forward and I lurched backwards orf me stool. Kids thought that was funny.

It's a very deep rooted fear. Must be programmed into us, cos my daughter would play with them in the garden until she was about 7, then she developed a considerable phobia. Our well-being must have relied on reacting to them in the distant past.

It used to be that there were 10 million spiders per acre in the UK. (Except for Frinton where they were not allowed.) The loss of such numbers of bugs of all types, is it seems, the prime reason that sparrows have declined in numbers. ( A well received and published Phd dissertation by some young lady a few years ago.)

I like geckoes. Any creature that is clued-up about atomic bonding, should have pride of place IMHO. I'm afraid Alice would have to go.

larssnowpharter
18th Oct 2005, 07:41
My dear Davaar,

One assumes you are referring to Eystein 'The Fart' once King of Roumarike? The Sagas do tell of his remarkable prowess in the intestinal gas department and allege that this may be because of his diet of snow peas.

Whilst one is not sure of any direct descendency, it may well be that some genetic material found its way to the current generation and may explain my current issues in finding a co pilot. But perhaps I should post this in the Agony Aunt Forum.

Davaar
18th Oct 2005, 14:27
My dear Lars:

Snowpeas, you say! So close to your own patronymic it's almost a mimic. At least to the cynic. It would look well in runic across the tunic.

I think he's the one, but among so many....! Snorri, for example. It goes on and on, and little wonder that only the great fartsmen made it into the sagas. I see from Harbarthsljoth, courtesy of my ever-ready Google, that at one stage

Harbarth spake:

26. "Thor has might enough, but never a heart;
For cowardly fear in a glove wast thou fain to crawl,
And there forgot thou wast Thor;
Afraid there thou wast, thy fear was such,
To fart or sneeze lest Fjalar should hear."

Clearly, the very inability or hesitation to fart was grounds for contempt and dismissal, a sentiment carried on in later centuries by our very own Robert Burns, "Where'er ye be, let wind gae free"; and of course the proverbial "Better an empty hoose than a bad tenant".

Room indeed for scholarship.

Blacksheep
19th Oct 2005, 02:28
I'm afraid Alice would have to go.She's gone! :(

When 'Dog' developed necrosis in his right front leg and I observed two puncture holes in his paw just 3 mm apart I knew it was either a baby snake or a large spider. Preferring to err on the safe side and being unable to imagine a baby snake being that venomous, I ambushed Alice and introduced her to the delights of the "Borneo Bulletin" (http://www.brunei-online.com/bb/tue/local.htm). It took two blows to despatch her to spider heaven.

A gekko eating spider is one thing, but trying to eat the dog was stretching our hospitality beyond the limit. The veterinary couldn't save poor 'Dog' either, poor critter. We could have taken the leg off but his kidneys were gone. Shame, he was a nice chap, very brave and a wonderful guard dog. I still have a fond memory of waking in the middle of the night to his barking and then watching him 'dancing' with a large Cobra.

So, fear of spiders is certainly not irrational - but I'm still fascinated by them.

Farrell
19th Oct 2005, 02:33
Ok Flyblue.....here are the links only.

WARNING!! VERY GRAPHIC!!

http://www.spiderzrule.com/reclusebiteleg.htm

http://www.spiderzrule.com/reclusebitethumb.htm

Lars you were very lucky with that funnelweb!:uhoh:

larssnowpharter
19th Oct 2005, 07:09
My Dear Davaar,

You are correct sir! The subject of the flatus is one that is open to academic pursuit.

It seems that both Shakespeare and his rival Mr B Johnson were unafraid to enter the fray:

WS:
‘A man may break a word with you, sir; and words are but wind; Ay, and break it in your face, so he break it not behind.’ (Comedy of Errors III i 75-76)

BJ (he of the unfortunate initials): ‘I fart at thee’ (The Alchemist’).

Further back in Eng Lit we have Chaucer in The Miller's Tale (Nicholas): '‘He was somdel squaymous Of fartying’ and ‘This Nicholas anon let flee a fart’.

In other cultures the act of 'passing wind' was considered quite normal. There is a tale in 'The Arabian Nights' entitled 'How Eboo-Hessen Brake Wind.”

However, returning to English Lit, allow me to quote from your own Sir John Suckling for who the divine afflatus is bathetically reduced to metaphorical flatus:

'Love is the fart

Of every heart;

It pains a man when ‘tis kept close

And others doth offend when ‘tis let loose.'

OK. Now wait 5 mins before opening the door.

Blacksheep
19th Oct 2005, 08:41
After reading that site Farrell I'm not sure that "Alice" was a Huntsman if they only grow to 35 mm. Those pictures show pretty much what she did to the dog's leg though.

I don't have a decent photo of her that shows her scale but she looked exactly like this (http://www.singas.co.uk/Wildlife/spider.jpg) one.

Nearly the same size too!

G-CPTN
19th Oct 2005, 12:10
Returning to the start of this thread, do camel spiders hide in camel toes?

Blacksheep
20th Oct 2005, 02:51
If they did it could add a whole new meaning to the term "knob-rot" :uhoh: