PDA

View Full Version : Pussy trouble

tart1
4th Sep 2005, 21:09
Why is it that cats will eat a food with great enthusiasm but then suddenly go off it for no reason at all??

Our cat will not eat a mouthful of his food today and he ate this one quite happily yesterday and for several days before that.

He definitely hungry - he's been a right pain all day, miaowing frantically at everyone and running under our feet and tripping us up.

(And why is it that any thread with 'pussy' in the title is guaranteed to get a very fast response from the male prune population? Can't work it out at all! :E )

SyllogismCheck
4th Sep 2005, 21:11
Damn........................

Actually,'trouble'? Rather not know.

sprocket
4th Sep 2005, 21:31
Probably a fur ball. Try shaving it.

airship
4th Sep 2005, 21:37
I wouldn't worry if it's just one day he's off his food.

Has he got access to cat grass?! If one of mine has furballs, you'll see her chewing up a few leaves and 10 minutes later :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: usually on the carpet. That usually does the trick!

But if he's off his food for a few days, better see the vet.

doubleu-anker
4th Sep 2005, 21:49
Hello tart1

I have only read the title as I didn't have time to read the whole post as I wanted to get in quick with my diagnosis.

I prescribe sex and plenty of it. Also, Dr Anker will quiet happy to administer it.

tart1
4th Sep 2005, 22:02
Thanks for the serious answer!

Yes he's got access to loads of grass in the garden - is that what you mean by cat grass? He eats loads of it too .... but it doesn't make him throw up.

To be honest, he does this from time to time. He is just being an awkward so-and-so, I think - there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him.

All the cats I've ever owned have been very quirky about their food - and this one is the easiest I've had. :cool: :cool:

captain cumulonimbus
4th Sep 2005, 22:33
grease him down,shave him,and put a party hat on his little furry head...then tell him to find the nearest monkey to spank

RiskyRossco
4th Sep 2005, 23:24
Apart from the atrociously shock-mongering contributions from CC :p there are quite the knowledge hounds, and well up on cat psychology.

tar-twan, cats make no excuse, give no explanation and refuse point-blank to behave in any way shape or form that could be interpreted 'low-maintenance' :hmm: This is, of course, what makes cats the fun and educational centre of the cat-lover's existence.

It's also good training for guys, to appreciate the fickle and changeable tautology aside mind of women. And that's precisely why you're in here asking why HRH Kitty goes off her normal favourite nosh.
HRH Kitty simply gets bored wiv it!
To those without an insight into Kitty Psych. 201 my basic response remains, "I've yet to see a dead cat next to a full plate of catfood."

Her Nibs doesn't wait around here, only this a.m. I had to shovel out a load of feathers, as she quietly sat chewing carcass of some ex-avian.
:hmm:

Ozzy
5th Sep 2005, 02:25
Cats suck the big one.

Ozzy

Blacksheep
5th Sep 2005, 03:06
Most people fail to appreciate that cats own people, not the other way around. They all have more than one home and get fed at all of them. Your problem is simply that your cat wants more of that very nice stuff that he's been getting somewhere else.

Keeping a cat is not simply a way to educate men in the ways of women, (thats impossible anyway) its also for women to learn the ways of men. No matter how nice it is at home, they're always up for something a little different. If you want your cat to stay home you have to work hard at keeping him interested. ;)

Farrell
5th Sep 2005, 04:15
I'd say it's furballs tart1

That'll stop the poor blighter from eating for about three days.

Make sure there's lots of water about and you'll just have to tolerate the miaowing as that comes from the "Why are you not helping me out with this?" attitude that cats have around their owners.

As was said above - they own you, not the other way around.

A tin of sardines in brine is normally irresistable to any cat by the way.

Farrell

Bendy
5th Sep 2005, 04:52
A wise person once said

Dogs have owners, Cats have staff

The little bugger is just being a cat. When it is hungry, it will eat.

Bendy

gatfield
5th Sep 2005, 05:21
You make like baked beans,
but if you get served baked beans at every meal you might turn your nose up to.

FLCH
5th Sep 2005, 05:28
Sorry a little OT, but if I got baked beans every night you bet you'd turn yer nose up ....but for a different reason !!

Nani
5th Sep 2005, 06:34
Rancid food,tart. I know all cat food smells horrible to us but cats will not eat bad food. Offer him a piece of liver and watch him devour it in seconds.

acbus1
5th Sep 2005, 07:57
Typical pussy behaviour.

Gagging for it and can't get enough one day, then several days of absolutely zero interest.

Try massaging it's lips with baby oil. Flip it's nose rapidly up and down. Pull it's ears apart. Blow on it gently.

I can lend a hand, if you wish.

Less serious answer (or question, I guess).....would you like the same meal every day?

tart1
5th Sep 2005, 15:08
Came downstairs 06.00 this morning ............ food eaten and my punishment on the floor: grisly offering of partially disembowelled mouse.

I know a lot of people say that anything dead your cat has brought in is a present for you.

I don't mean to be ungrateful but it's hard to regard that sort of gift as something wanted, especially first thing in the morning! :yuk:

shut that door
5th Sep 2005, 17:55
06:00 eee lass, that's near afternoon! If you were my lass I'd show you what to do with a mouse (pulling purse strings in)
1) Drop in boiling water for 5mins
2) Remove skin
3) Stuff with garlic butter
4) Grill 5mins each side.

That'll save a penny or two on your travels.

barit1
5th Sep 2005, 18:23
"Cat" Quotes

Cat: A pygmy lion who loves mice, hates dogs and patronizes human beings. - Oliver Herford

Some people say man is the most dangerous animal on the planet. Obviously those people have never met an angry cat. - Lillian Johnson

Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a purpose. - Garrison Keillor

If cats could talk, they would lie to you. - Rob Kopack

The cat could very well be man's best friend but would never stoop to admitting it. - Doug Larson

==================================

Top 10 Dog & Cat Characteristics

10. Dogs come when you call them. Cats take a message and get back to you.

9. Dogs will let you give them a bath without taking out a contract on your life.

8. Dogs will bark to wake you up if the house is on fire. Cats will quietly sneak out the back door.

7. Dogs will bring you your slippers or the evening newspaper. Cats might bring you a dead mouse.

6. Dogs will play Frisbee with you all afternoon. Cats will take a three-hour nap.

5. Dogs will sit on the car seat next to you. Cats have to have their own private box or they will not go at all.

4. Dogs will greet you and lick your face when you come home from work. Cats will be mad that you went to work at all.

3. Dogs will sit, lie down, and heel on command. Cats will smirk and walk away.

2. Dogs will tilt their heads and listen whenever you talk. Cats will yawn and close their eyes.

1. Dogs will give you unconditional love forever. Cats will make you pay for every mistake you've ever made since the day you were born.

maxman
5th Sep 2005, 20:22
One of ours went off it's food. Took her to the vets, she is now on a perscription food called Feline ID. It looks expensive at 30 for a five kilo bag, but works out at the same price as normal cat food, both cats eat it every day (it's made from chicken meat, I believe) with no ill effects.

Hang on, I just re read that, they both eat chicken everyday. Bastards !

FLCH
5th Sep 2005, 20:26
Have you tried the pet psychic,,,better yet get Steve Irwin to wrastle (suthurn fer wrestlin') with it for a bit that should straighten it out

sixmilehighclub
5th Sep 2005, 20:45
Well I can't help I'm afraid. My pussy is always hungry.

FLCH
5th Sep 2005, 20:48
Me thinks you are about to make a lot of new friends..

emergov
8th Sep 2005, 07:53
Q. "what should I do when my cat doesn't eat?"

A. Pang therapy.

Massage the cat's head firmly and repeatedly with a long-handled shovel. Experiment with different shovels to get the most satisfying 'PANG'. It is amazing how many cat problems are fixed by a bit of frenzied PT.

It's quite handy to have a shovel to hand when you're finished, too.

Foss
8th Sep 2005, 12:27
All cats should be banned.
Skinned then banned.
Shot, skinned, then banned.

not too fond of cats

GearDown&Locked
8th Sep 2005, 14:41
When I had my two kittens, they loved chasing each other across the entire house during the night. One night one of them had some problems with their anti-skid system and "crashed" into a closed door with a very loud bang! :eek: I got out of the bed worried that one of them would be hurt and looked for the victim at the crash site... no signs of both cats. I then went to their bed and there they were... pretending they were sleeping.:*

Regarding food habits, I gave them different types of food during the week or the same type during a week but topped with some raw eggs and sometimes little ham slices (if they would behave themselves - If not, cheap cat ration would be).;)

I remember their favourite sports well. One was called I can throw that rat higher than you" and the other was plain old rat-ball. :E

I miss those cat days.:{
GD&L

Man-on-the-fence
8th Sep 2005, 16:54
Shoot it, it will respect you for it.

My wife came with a cat, it hates me and considers me the thing that provides food.

arcniz
8th Sep 2005, 20:39
A) Cats DO have much better sniffers than we, so the food they won't eat quite possibly is 'bad' from the Pussy pov.

B) Domestic cats lead lives of quiet frustration. Rather like many domestic humans, they feel compelled to eat when not really hungry. Combined with A, above, the frustration grows noisier.

C) A healthy 'kept' pussy should be able to go a week or so without food, if hard pressed. So it is not cruel to simply remove the food ( and dish, proving the event is not mere forgetfulness) for 8 to 24 hours. Following this, the cat will likely be both healthier and happier.

pakeha-boy
8th Sep 2005, 20:45
pussy trouble....heck,I always thought it was when you couldnt get any ........

tart1
8th Sep 2005, 20:48
It was merely a blip. Tigger is now eating enthusiastically.

I just don't really understand the reluctance to eat that particular food which he loved before and loves again. He was obviously hungry but he wouldn't touch it that day.

As Mr Spock would say: "It's not logical, Captain." :cool: :cool:

arcniz
9th Sep 2005, 18:17
Pussies are known for their non-Euclidean propensities.

Wyler
19th Oct 2005, 12:41
Kill it, skin it, make slippers and buy a dog.