PDA

View Full Version : Netgear DG834 & AOL

Maxflyer
4th Sep 2005, 11:42
I have a small home network (two pcs running XP). I use a Netgear DG834 router. I am supposed to be able to connect to the internet via AOL using this router! I know it worked a few months ago, but I had to revert to my BT Voyager adsl modem (for non pc related reasons). I have the installation CD and have got the router reconnected, the network side of things is ok, but I can't get the ADSL connection working?

I spent an hour on their help line (a lot of which was on hold) and got nowhere. Can anyone help me please?

Yours in deperation, frustration and lack of alcohol.

MF

Maxflyer
4th Sep 2005, 17:32
Managed to sort it out by tinkering with various settings - truth is I haven't got a clue how I did it, but it worked!

Buttino
4th Sep 2005, 20:54
Someone asked me to setup AOL for them with the same hardware. In the end I ditched the CD and went through the process manually.

Whossat Forrus
4th Sep 2005, 21:01
1. Set the MTU for your computer and the router to 1492 or less. Tweak it down some more if you have to.

2. Set the router to PPPoA.

3. Use autofix to detect and establish the connection (it's quicker but if don't work come back here).

Anyone trying to establish a network AOL software does not support internet connection sharing, you need to obtain a router such as the netgear et al and go via the LAN. The help files don't tell you this!!!

Have fun.

WF