PDA

View Full Version : Poor Video quality

DrRedHead
3rd Sep 2005, 14:45
Since I got my new pc (built myself) I have had some problems with the media quality (video), i thought that it first it was the monitor because it was very old. I have just switched to a 15' LCD and yet a still get a similar bad quality vide, I have tried using different applications such as Winamp 5 and WMP but the quality is the same on both.

To describe the quality, well its like the contrast and brightness have been turned up to a very high setting and when I dim the screen right down it still appears bright (compared to normal), the colour quality also seems to be bad, its hard to describe but it seems like I can make out the squares of colour. The graphics card itself uses DVI output but since my monitor uses Analogue i have a converter, I’m not sure if this could lead to the problem but it may help solve it. Everything else works and looks normal

I also have all in one Codec pack with the most up to date version and have installed Div X but there was no improvement in quality so I uninstalled it

Comp Spec:
AMD 64 3800+
2 Gigs RAM
NVIDIA Geforce 6800GT

Conan the Librarian
3rd Sep 2005, 19:00
Not that familiar with the Nvid, but it sounds like your card has got a bit carried away. Check out the Gamma settings and colour management on your video card. (Many graphics packages carry a gamma test/adjustment widget.) If you see a "Default" button on the vid card setting, try that.

shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Conan

DrRedHead
3rd Sep 2005, 19:36
i had a mess around with the nvidia display options and no such luck

Conan the Librarian
3rd Sep 2005, 19:45
ok - take apart the DVI lead and examine all pins to see if one has been bent. You shouldn't have a problem, but there are three flavours of DVI and stranger things have been known.

Conan

DrRedHead
3rd Sep 2005, 20:21
well i had a good look and the pins are all how they should be, nothing is broken at all

I really am stuck

Conan the Librarian
3rd Sep 2005, 22:15
Thinking hard now.... I have to calibrate my own monitors so that they match the printer - a thoroughly miserable task - trust me...

Check that your monitor is running an appropriate screen profile. If your monitor is fairly recent, go to the manufacturer website and look for colour management and profiles. Any of these should improve what sounds fairly extreme, but I use an SRGB profile. If you see this one and it still looks odd, then we have at least narrowed it down. Keep positive - this, is progress :-)

If this confuses you at all, then PM me with monitor and vid card details and I will try to find them for you.

Conan