PDA

View Full Version : Police/HEMS Pilots Union

Wrong Password
17th Jul 2001, 12:47
Hello to all interested parties. Why don't we get together and form a group to represent our interests.

I have been a member of BALPA for a long time and have seen the benefits, especially in my previous job. Unfortunately if we whinge individually then nothing will be done.

Suggest all join BALPA (only approx £10 per month, 'cos we get so little salary)and form Pilots Council.

Anyone with views please append below.

FLIR
20th Jul 2001, 01:49
W - P,
have read your post with interest, but , feel that as most of the folks you refer to are ex - mil, they would need to be aware of all the potential benefits before becoming more militant ?? Salary is one thing - conditions are quite another, and in this world money is tight to say the least. You don't jump in before testing the water!!!

Letsby Avenue
20th Jul 2001, 02:05
After mentioning this thread my salary was increased by £1000 on the spot! Ho hum..... :cool:

FLIR
21st Jul 2001, 01:25
letsby,
would you kindly mention this thread to my boss - maybe i can get an extra thou?

FLIR

Bearintheair
24th Jul 2001, 01:36
Well done WP. The only way that we can get any notice taken of us is to act collectively through a union. Emergency service air support is a large and professional part of the UK rotary scene and its experienced pilots should not be treated as the poor relations.
The employers claim that current contracts don't allow them to increase salaries towards the figures those in the N Sea receive now, let alone the salaries that they are trying to achieve (parity with FW).
While this may be the case , surely it is down to employers to renegotiate with the customers to improve conditions. For too long the emergency services have got away with pilotage on the cheap, now air support has grown up so should the salaries of their pilots. If we have to force the issue through a union then so be it.
Questions:
1. Of all those ES pilots out there who aren't members of BALPA, how many of you would join if the union had negotiating rights with your employer ?
2. If your employer wouldn't try to improve matters in negotiation with your union reps, how many of you would follow the lead of our N Sea colleagues and vote for Industrial Action ? :eek:

[ 23 July 2001: Message edited by: Bearintheair ]