PDA

View Full Version : Hang Glider down : 57 Year old woman dead

Gunship
3rd Sep 2005, 13:46
:sad: More sad aviation news :sad:

A 57-year-old woman died on Saturday while hand-gliding in the Boland, Western Cape police said.

Superintendent Debby Pheiffer said the accident happened around 9.15am between Paarl and Malmesbury.

The woman, believed to be from Constantia Kloof near Cape Town, plunged to her death when her glider started spinning out of control.

Police said they would release her identity once her next-of-kin had been informed. - Sapa

Link (http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=qw1125750421459B223)

zoneout
4th Sep 2005, 07:54
Morning

As a friend of mine said "she was the youngest 57 year old I knew". A very sad accident, everyone who knew her will miss her. To me, she showed that getting old was not necessarily a bad thing!

She was flying a paraglider, and she entered (deliberately, initially) steep turns which turned into a spiral dive and which she did not pull out of, possibly because she blacked out under the loading. So she probably died peacefully. Condolences to all others who knew her.

Gunship
4th Sep 2005, 09:10
Tx for the info zoneout.

I wonder if it is the same lady that was regularly seen going from Sir Louwrie's pass.

Sadly the news did not say she was in a para-glider.

RIP :sad: