PDA

View Full Version : Converting JETA1 to run in you car

TheFlyingSquirrel
2nd Sep 2005, 11:02
Anyone got any ideas on what additives are required to do this ? I know it's fairly easy to do.

Mariner9
2nd Sep 2005, 11:05
Yes, but I'm not telling you as I'd then be party to a crime. ;)

Unless you paid the duty of course, but then there'd be no point :(

TheFlyingSquirrel
2nd Sep 2005, 11:12
7 miles to the gallon from a Rover Cheerio ? That's about right !

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Sep 2005, 11:12
Just chuck a litre or two of motor oil into a 200 litre drum of Jet A1 to lubricate the pump and use as you would diesel.:ok:

TheFlyingSquirrel
2nd Sep 2005, 11:16
Does it leave any staining or residue in the fuel or exhaust system ?

LowNSlow
2nd Sep 2005, 11:19
Wasn't that the same Rover turbine that was used in the Victors and Vulcans as an APU? Or at least the 2-stage derivative of it. Pushed out around 120hp as I recall from my days of lighting a ciggy off the exhaust of the one in a test cell in Brunel. Wonder if that's still there and running??

Conan the Librarian
2nd Sep 2005, 11:21
I think I might start with a pair of Speys....

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/zorbathegeek/sundries/Thrust_SSC_at_Goodwood.jpg

Conan

RJM
2nd Sep 2005, 11:30
I recall that Rover, like Chrysler and a few other manufacturers who tried turbines, couldn't get past the fuel consumption problem. Rover even raced one with BRM at Le Mans, and the wacky shock-absorber/suspension layout on the Rover 2000 series of cars is to accommodate the turbine engines that never eventuated.

TheFlyingSquirrel
2nd Sep 2005, 11:33
You know - that's a really cool name for their next model !!

The new ROVER CHEERIO

Send Clowns
2nd Sep 2005, 11:35
LowNSlow

If it is then I think it is still used in RN portable firefighting pumps.

Taildragger55
2nd Sep 2005, 11:46
I always wondered why airline pilots carry those fat briefcases.
A gallon jerrycan and a siphon hose.
The crafty buggers!

Lon More
2nd Sep 2005, 11:54
think I would go for the Austin Onan myself.....
That'll be the one with the Wankel engine then?

under_exposed
2nd Sep 2005, 12:08
How about this (http://www.marineturbine.com/motorsports.asp)

montys ex teaboy
2nd Sep 2005, 12:49
Solid Rust Twotter is right, for running a diesel on JA1. A petrol car can also be converted to run on JA1/Deasil also. All that has to be done is to heat the JA1 to a very high temperature. Once that is achieved the resultant gas is a very volatile mixture indeed.

As for stains on the exhaust, I would think there might be some nasty stains not to mention smells, in "your exhaust" system should customs and excise takes a sample from your tank

Mariner9
2nd Sep 2005, 14:09
All that has to be done is to heat the JA1 to a very high temperature. Once that is achieved the resultant gas is a very volatile mixture indeed.

Actually Jet only has to be heated to around 40C to achieve volatility. (Flashpoint spec of Jet is 38C minimum).

Dont forget all you diesel convertors, in addition to the low lubricity alluded to earlier by SRT, Jet also has a far lower cetane index than diesel.

TheOddOne
2nd Sep 2005, 14:38
under_exposed,

There was a guy on the TV a little while ago (a film star or comic or some such) saying he'd got one of those Turbine bikes. Someone came up real close behind him at the lights to get a look at the bike. He was trying to edge away, but the other driver kept edging ever closer. Just as the lights turned green, he looked around at the other vehicle and saw what he was afraid of, the whole front bumper was melting away! He just gve a quick twist with the right hand and never saw the other vehicle again...

TOO

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Sep 2005, 15:49
Diesel is pretty good for the fuel pumps on your PT6A, on the other hand. Lubes 'em up a treat. Know of a bunch in Ethipoia during the famine that ran on diesel as there was no Jet A1 available and no problems were experienced.

Lon More
2nd Sep 2005, 16:05
Odd one Probably Jay Leno. He has a large selection of oddball vehicles. Here's (http://http://www.rideontv.com/episodes/CRN0005/leno.html) a link to the bike

montys ex teaboy
2nd Sep 2005, 16:51
Years ago in a previous line of work, the company I worked for operated a turbo thrush commander, PT6-34. It was quiet happy running on JA1/desiel or heating oil. Admittedly it had 2 big fuel (tractor?) filters fitted.

Been told by and AME that they will run on coal dust, engine Iubrication aside.

TheFlyingSquirrel
4th Sep 2005, 09:41
The government are planning to get rid of Red Diesel as the duty lost is a staggering 300 million a year in fraud. Off road rebates will be granted to farmers through the tax system instead. So that's the end of that !!

TFS

cyclicmicky
4th Sep 2005, 09:50
Why use jet a1..............certain folks are running on old frying oil:E .....one knows absolutely nothing about this of course:E