PDA

View Full Version : What's BMED like?

flying_lawnmower
2nd Sep 2005, 09:59
Hi everyone, just a quickie... Am lucky enough to be starting with Bmed later this year... Cant wait and am absolutely over the moon... Everyone i speak to seems to have nothing but positive things to say about Bmed, just wanted to get some pilot feedback? What are the destinations like? Nightstops etc? Good crew morale?

Thanks everyone...:ok:

Riker
2nd Sep 2005, 13:51
First, congrats on your new position. I have been looking at BMED myself for quite some time and I have heard good things. Of course, no airline is perfect and BMED has both positives and negatives from what I have been told.

The destinations, in my mind, are very interesting - but they are not the resort destinations that you would find at GB, Brits, FCA, Monarch or the like. If you are adventurous and like the Middle East and more exotic destinations like Baku and Tiblisi then you might really enjoy it. I have heard the flying can be a bit tiresome due to early arrivals into destinations down route - i.e., arriving at 5AM. There are a number of previous posts that can be found by using the search function.

A couple of questions for you:

1. What sort of experience did you have when you were hired? Hours? PIC time? Airbus rating?

2. How many people are expected to be hired in the near term?

3. Do you know if aircraft are being added or if recruitment is due to attrition?

Good job on the new position - it should be very interesting!

Riker

beauport potato man
2nd Sep 2005, 14:16
Only good things heard about Bmed from friends, with some very unusual and exciting nightstops.

I think i've just worked out why you started the BA franchise topic the other day!!!

Good luck, beats the Q400 any day.

BPM

Don Coyote
2nd Sep 2005, 14:17
I have posted a number of replies in the past about life at BMED. Nothing has changed really and the comments I have made in the past remain true.

Once you have had a look at those feel free to ask any questions that have not been covered.

All the best

flying_lawnmower
2nd Sep 2005, 16:04
Thanks for the comments everyone...

Really cant wait...

As far as my application goes, been hounding them for well over 12months as really wanted to work for them. Finally got lucky when I had secured an ATPL... No airbus rating...

The company is definately going in the right direction as i hear they are receiving an A321 a year for the next 5 years maybe more...

For all those in the company, looking forward to meeting you all...

flying_lawnmower
5th Sep 2005, 15:32
Flap 43, tried to reply to your private message however it told me that you're not accepting them... would be good to have a chat...:ok:

Riker
5th Sep 2005, 20:54
Noticed you guys added Addis Ababa to your routes within the last year. Do you feel safe at most of these destinations - do you have nice accomodations? Are there any layovers considered better than others in terms of nightlife or beaches, etc.?

Also for Preppy and Don Coyote, what are, in your mind, some of the positives of flying for BMED? We understand there are a lot of late nights and those can be exhausting and negatives at every airline... We don't hear enough about the positives sometimes...

Cheers

Don Coyote
6th Sep 2005, 10:11
Not much in the way of beach destinations, but all destinations are sunny and hot during the summer with good hotels, many with outdoor pools to enjoy the sun. Many are very cold during the winter.

A good proportion of the trips give you a few days off away, with time to go out and enjoy yourself, and all trips are long enough to have a drink without breaking any rules. The only destination I don't like is Tehran, the rest are normally pretty good but it does make a difference depending on who is on your crew.

It is true that there is a lot of night flying and many 4 day trips have a night shuttle in the middle of them. Every time we get a new destination there are longer stops to be had but there is no rumour of any new destinations at present.

The late starts and early finishes are excellent. You are often tired after a trip due to trying to sort out your sleep patterns but fatigue is not an issue. I have been into discretion only twice in 2 years.

Overall it is not the most glamorous or best paid company but it is definately not the worst to work for.

flying_lawnmower
14th Sep 2005, 09:28
Thanks Straight and Level, cant wait to start... Looking forward to meeting you down route...

FL:ok: