PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter crashes after pilot exits

Go-Around
10th Jan 2001, 01:00
From www.flyer.co.uk (http://www.flyer.co.uk)

Stay with your helo

Fixed wing pilots know that you should never exit your aircraft when the engine is running. Most helicopter pilots know this, too - in fact, all helicopter pilots now know it. The one who didn't learned the hard way...

Yesterday in Cleveland, US, a 1974 Hiller UH12-E made a precautionary landing due to the malfunction of 'aerial application equipment'. As the pilot was leaving the helicopter (presumably to see what was wrong?) the machine lifted off and flew, unmanned, to a height of approximately 600ft before crashing. No one was hurt, but the helicopter was, not surprisingly, a complete write off.

(Source: NTSB preliminary report, so details and facts may be subject to later alteration)

Rob_L
10th Jan 2001, 01:26
600 feet all by itself! Wow, what a helicopter! Still, that always was the Hiller's 'forte'... hence the flying platform.

Can't see a Robinson getting that far!

Hughes500
10th Jan 2001, 14:00
But Rob who would want to get into a R22 in the first place ???

Rob_L
10th Jan 2001, 23:47
Ah yes,Hughes, but I feel NEEDED in an R22, because I know it can't manage without me!

Flew one in to Finningley once for the Air Show, and was approached by to Dutch F16 pilots. Very full of themselves they were, strutted round the Robo s******ing and saying how nice it would be for going on Sunday afternoon picnics. Well, I think even you would admit that was uncalled for - after all they might start on the Hughes 500 next! I looked Messers more-senior-than-thou Cloggies in the eyes and said " Ah yes but in 10 years time you will get out of your F16 for the last time: you will never be allowed to fly it again. And then who will you be? But I shall still be flying these!"

CTD
11th Jan 2001, 00:13
A little off topic (apologies), but Rob's F-16 driver story reminded me of the time my condescending boss told me he was flying helicopters when I was still in diapers, to which I replied "And I expect to still be flying them when YOU'RE in diapers".

4Rvibes
11th Jan 2001, 03:17
To which CTD's Boss promptly added,"You're chopped,no one likes a smartarse.

Hey-ho he's driving a Robbie......

[This message has been edited by 4Rvibes (edited 10 January 2001).]

RW-1
11th Jan 2001, 17:13
Well, then the Bell guys should always carry mallox onboard ... :) bummer:

NTSB Identification: LAX01LA063

Accident occurred Friday, December 22, 2000 at WILCOX, AZ
Aircraft:Bell 206-L3, registration: N288JB
Injuries: 3 Minor.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On December 22, 2000, at 0331 hours mountain standard time, a Bell 206-L3 helicopter, N288JB, sustained substantial damage when the pilot became ill and lost control 20 feet prior to touchdown at Cochise County Airport, Wilcox, Arizona. Critical Air Medical was operating the helicopter under the provisions of 14 CFR Part 91. The commercial pilot and two crewmembers sustained minor injuries. The positioning flight departed the Tuscon Medical Center about 0310, after delivering a patient, and was returning to its base at the North Cochise County Medical Center in Wilcox. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight plan was filed.

The pilot told the operator's chief pilot he tried to drink a glass of tea about 2 hours before the mission, but discarded it because it tasted bad. The pilot said he felt a little discomfort during the mission when he detected the tea taste again. After the mission he reported that he felt better, and did not expect any problems on the return to base. About 5 minutes from the base hospital, the pilot said nausea, sweating, and cramps suddenly overcame him, and he began to retch. He said it was a dark, moonless night, and rough terrain was below him. The airport was at his 12 o'clock position at 5 miles, so he elected to fly there rather than attempt an off-airport landing. He requested a sick sack about 1 minute prior to landing. About 20 feet above the touchdown point, the pilot doubled over due to severe cramping. This moved the cyclic forward and to the right. The main rotor blades contacted the ground, and the helicopter came to rest on its side.

Hughes500
12th Jan 2001, 10:05
Rob-L
Once heard that US military were going to buy time-ex R22's put a remote control kit in and use them as target drones for F-16's !!
That would give you that little extra zest when flying.
Perhaps I should tell Lu about this I'm sure a sidewinder couldn't be confused with pilot error unless you count getting in an R22 in the first place ?

Skycop
13th Jan 2001, 01:25
There was a story around some years ago about an army pilot flying a Bell 47 who was taken short over the jungle. He landed on a cleared pinnacle, left the aircraft running and walked forward and down from the summit to relieve himself. While he was down there a strong gust blew up, dislodging his aircraft which went backwards down into the jungle, unseen and unheard by the pilot.

Another pilot from the same unit saw the aircraft go over and roll up into a ball in the trees. Fearing the worst, he landed on the same spot and leaving his own aircraft running, he ran down to rescue the supposed unfortunate pilot from the wreckage.

Meanwhile, pilot 1 arrived back at the top. None the wiser, he flew the second aircraft back to base!

Cadfael
13th Jan 2001, 02:30
Old PNG Story

Ring , ring...click, "Hello"
"Hello...Capt Rotary here boss. Listen, me and the engineer are having an argument about why the engine wont start this morning. I reckon it's because there's water in the fuel"
"Oh yes Capt Rotary, and what does the engineer think?"
"He reckons it wont start cos it's upside-down in the lake"!!!!

Pedro Crab
13th Jan 2001, 03:00
And then there was the story about the Gazelle pilot on Ex Hardfall who landed his Gazelle in a sloping hotel carpark in Norway. Having closed down, he got out and slammed the cockpit door and walked down to the hotel. As he walked, he was overtaken by his aircraft sliding backwards on the frozen snow and watched horrified as he saw it crash into a parked car. Reaching the hotel, he called his boss and explained what had happened.

Some time later, another Gazelle arrived and landed next to the first. The pilot closed down, jumped out and slammed the door of the aircraft. as he walked down to the hotel, he was overtaken by his aircraft as it slid toward...........................!

Pedro

------------------
Pedro

407 Driver
13th Jan 2001, 04:42
Cadfael,
I have heard that same story from the very early BH47 years in British Columbia, Canada. It's one of those "Urban Legends" that are passed on and on. I believe it did happen though, PNG or BC, same great story.

4Rvibes
13th Jan 2001, 04:50
Excellent stuff. has anyone else got some other "Urban Myths", or is that another thread entirely?......

sprocket
13th Jan 2001, 05:33
:).....Great story's, here is another.

PNG again, a 500 lands on a large rock in a creek for mineral surveyors. I think the pilot got out. A short time later a flash flood comes down the creek and washes the 500 away!
Anybody remember that one?? :)

MightyGem
13th Jan 2001, 07:17
Heard this when I was on an exchange tour with the Australian Army many years ago.

An Australian Army helicopter pilot lands out in the bush and decides to have lunch. Walks a safe distance away and lights his cooker for a brew. Unfortunately it sets fire to the grass. Even more unfortunately he's upwind from his aircraft... I'm sure you can guess the rest.

sprocket
13th Jan 2001, 09:42
..and it gets better..

Pilot up tree

Outback Queensland this time... A couple of 47’s mustering cattle on a large station.
One of the choppers has gone quiet on the radio for a while, and the remaining helicopter ends up doing a search for the missing 47.
After a while they spot the ‘missing’ 47 on the ground in a small clearing, surrounded by scrub and running at idle by itself. The pilot was nowhere to be seen!
After landing next to the empty helicopter, the missing pilot is soon located up a tree a short distance away and an irate bull was ‘standing by’, ready to chase, if the pilot made move to get to his chopper. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif
The pilot, during the course of mustering, had to make a toilet stop and while going about his business, he was cornered by one of the bulls he had just been mustering and naturally the animal was quite stirred up and cranky.
So up the nearest tree went the pilot, while his chopper idled away by itself.

407 Driver
13th Jan 2001, 10:10
another "crap" story... (this topic is going downhill fast)

2 guys on board a Jetranger, the passenger needs to take a crap...really bad. they land in the middle of a huge snowfield, the pilot keeps the aircraft running. The passsenger gets out and goes back by the cargo door, undoes and drops his coveralls, does his business, when he finishes, he turns to admire his "work" laying on the snow.....but there's nothing there??? he checks his coveralls, Nope, not there? where did it go??? he checks his shorts, his pants? it's not to be found???, he carefully zips up his coveralls and gently walks to the door, quietly and carefully sliding into the passenger seat, with a look of concern and fear.
Unknown to him, the pilot had also gotten out and scooped his "deposit" away, reaching from the other side of the aircraft with a shovel, and had buried it.

skidbiter
14th Jan 2001, 06:19
I found this:
Accident Brief, Occurrence # 00/93
Nature of Flight: hunting
Aircraft Model: Robinson R22 Beta Pilot Licence: CPL (Helicopter)
Date Time: 18 Jan 00 07:00:00 Pilot Age: 42 yrs
POB: 0 Flying Hours (on Type): 240
Injuries (Fatal): nil Last 90 Days: 116
Injuries (Serious): nil TAIC Ref.:
Injuries (Minor): nil Publishing Ref.: V, Jan/Feb 2001
Damage: substantial Date Published: 2001-01-20 00:00:00
Synopsis

The helicopter was left idling while the pilot assisted his shooter to gut a number of deer. The pilot had applied carburettor heat, collective and cyclic frictions, and reduced rpm to a low idle. After about four minutes, the pilot heard the rpm increasing and when he looked round, saw the helicopter lift off and turn through 360 degrees. He attempted to catch it but was unable to do so before the main rotor struck a log and the machine came to rest on the heels of the skids and the tail section. The pilot then shut the engine down, noting that the collective friction had backed off to between half and three-quarters and that the lever had ridden fully up. He was of the opinion that the idling vibration level had been exacerbated by the nature of the surface (stony sand) on which the helicopter was parked, causing the friction to back off. He said later that he had a collective clip available, and in hindsight he should have applied it.
Main Sources Of Information: Accident details submitted by pilot plus further enquiries by CAA
WHILE THIS WAS A SERIOUS AND UNFORNUNATE INCIDENT, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN QUITE INTERESTING SEEING THE PILOT CHASING THE MACHINE TRYING TO CATCH IT!

helisphere
14th Jan 2001, 08:21
You know a Hiller 12E was flown 12 miles with both pilots out of there seats crouched back next to the engine and transmission, one on either side. Just to prove how stable it was. They also, not a 12E, filled a single seater with sandbags in the seat. and increased the power letting the machine hover all by itself with no pilot.

rotorque
14th Jan 2001, 10:27
There's another Northern Territory story about a bloke who opened a gate with the skids of his 47 only to get stuck in the wire for about 2 hours before getting it back out again. Bit hard to check your fuel.
Same bloke was asked to 'throw' some grease on his supperiors 47 before turning in for the night, shore as 5hit he grabed a handfull of Shell 14 and from 8 feet away covered the bubble with it.
Nice bloke but 'somehow' he continually got a wopping 43 inches out of his turbo.

Cyclic Hotline
14th Jan 2001, 11:12
A few years ago in Alaska, an MD500D suffered an engine failure and performed an emergency landing in a clearing, and somewhat typically, rolled onto it's side. The Australian pilot and his 3 pax walked away uninjured, in an excellent display of skill. The machine suffered pretty significant damage, but would be repairable.

Another operator was contracted to recover the wrecked machine with an A-Star, this machine was co-incidentally flown by an Australian pilot. They duly showed up, and the 500 was rigged and flown out. As the A-Star disappeared from view from the landing, a radio call came in, saying that no-one need worry about repairs, as the slung 500 had just dropped around 800 feet into the woods!

Inspection revealed that a severely corroded long line, sheathed in plastic hose, had failed. The 500 impacted a stump, inverted, and embedded itself about 2 feet through the stump and into the ground. Fortunately it landed near a road, and after much sawing and tugging with a truck was extricated from it's resting place! The machine was totally destroyed, with no recoverable parts!

The remaining ball of wreckage was shipped back to town, where the insurance companies engaged in a fearsome battle over the value of the aircraft following crash one v crash two.

Thus this unfortunate helicopter became the first MD500 in Alaska to be totalled twice, by 2 Oz pilots, in one day! :)

[This message has been edited by Cyclic Hotline (edited 14 January 2001).]

Semi Rigid
15th Jan 2001, 04:45
A nice 500D in the bowles of the South Island, NZ. Pilot jumps out & his Swandri pocket got caught on throttle & wound her back up to flight rpm & away she goes, fully remote control only no one had the remote. Ended up in a lake thrashing itself to bits. Incedentily, this same machine had come through the deer venison/live capture relativly unscathed. Same machine is undergoing major refurb at the moment. Watch those open zippers eh!

Larry
15th Jan 2001, 05:24
Heres a classic......and as stupid as it gets

Accident occurred Saturday, July 01, 1989 at FRUITLAND, MD
Aircraft:BELL 47J, registration: N6760D
Injuries: 1 Uninjured.
THE PLT INITIALLY LANDED AT AN AIRPORT TO OBTAIN FUEL; HOWEVER, THE PUMPS HAD BEEN CLOSED DOWN FOR THE NIGHT & FUEL WAS NOT AVAILABLE. HE DEPARTED THE ARPT & ELECTED TO LAND AT A CONVENIENCE STORE WHICH HAD FUEL PUMPS. DRG A LANDING AT NIGHT, THE HELICOPTER CONTACTED THE WOODEN FRAMED CANOPY STRUCTURE WHICH COVERED THE FUEL PUMPS. SUBSEQUENTLY, THE PLT LOST CONTROL OF THE HELICOPTER & IT DESCENDED & IMPACTED THE PAVEMENT. ABOUT 1 HR AFTER THE ACDNT, THE STATE POLICE ADMINISTERED A BREATHALYZER TEST, WHICH SHOWED THE PLT HAD AN ALCOHOL LEVEL OF APRX 0.13%.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident was:

POOR JUDGEMENT OF THE PILOT BY FLYING, WHILE PHYSICALLY IMPAIRED BY ALCOHOL, AND HIS MISJUDGEMENT OF CLEARANCE BETWEEN THE HELICOPTER AND THE STRUCTURE. THE DARK NIGHT AND OBJECT (STRUCTURE) WERE CONSIDERED TO BE CONTRIBUTING FACTORS.