PDA

View Full Version : Helitech'05

Aser
2nd Sep 2005, 07:08
Hi!
Any Ppruner going to the event http://www.helitech.co.uk/ ?
Any flight display in helitech?:confused:
Did you register on the website and still waiting any kind of confirmation?
Is it a free event for a professional/non-professional ?

Best regards.
Aser

R22DRIVER
2nd Sep 2005, 08:36
Im going down on the Wednesday. Im flying down with a few other buddies from our flying school.

As for the tickets and that, they were all bought on our behalf by our lovely lady at the school!

Im looking forward to it as this is the first year ive managed to go.

Anyone got any insights of must see's at this years show?

R22

Capn Notarious
2nd Sep 2005, 09:04
A deliberate impertinent response to: Anyone got any insights of must see's at this years show?

Helicopters actually.......

Post Script
The last one was a very poignant affair as it was held just after The Eleventh of September. This years Helitech was preceeded by hurrican Katrina in the Gulf of Mexico.
The Helicopter industries, are getting some useful publicity for their machines good work. For that alone, the designers fabricators etc can be justifiably proud.

ThomasTheTankEngine
2nd Sep 2005, 10:34
I will be there playing instructor in our simulator which we recently got FTNP 2 approval for. Come and say hello on the Aero Simulators stand.

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Sep 2005, 11:04
I'll probably go up for a day, probably taking a fixed wing from Popham if anybody want's to hitch a ride (especially if they don't mind chipping in £20 towards Popham's increasingly frightening AVGAS prices).

G

SASless
2nd Sep 2005, 12:32
We will be taking the Huey down there for static display. Will be doing Leuchars first....and Duxford after Heli-Tech. See you all there.:ok:

AlanM
2nd Sep 2005, 14:40
Genghis - I am going on day one - the 27th and driving up (EEEK!) from Blackbushe area at the current plan.

What day are you going!!??? More than happy to throw some readies to pay for bacon sarnies and tea etc!

Alan

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Sep 2005, 15:03
Hadn't made my mind up, but if it fits in for somebody else (and the weather's okay), more than happy to schedule the 27th. The plank in question is a reasonably shiny PA28-161; Popham is only a short drive from Blackbushe as you know.

G

Aser
2nd Sep 2005, 15:28
R22DRIVER: to me a "must see" is the AB-139 and the S-92 :E

I'm arriving at Luton at 23:30 , there is a bus service to Cambridge so late? any web to check the public transport in England?

Best regards.
Aser

Martin1234
2nd Sep 2005, 15:41
Aser, try;

http://www.london-luton.co.uk/en/content.asp?area=2&id=62

R22DRIVER
2nd Sep 2005, 15:56
Thanks for that Aser,

Being a Lowly, low time R22 pilot its going to be great seeing some proper machines, experianced bods to talk to and new items to put on the wish list!

TTTE:

Can we come and play free of charge on your sims or do we need to fill your pockets with beer tokens?! ( Naive Helitech Virgin! Can't you tell?! )

SASless:

What day are you bringing in your big green flying machine with door mounted guns so we can all drool over it?

:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Sep 2005, 18:28
After a private discussion with AlanM, the pair of us are (Wx permitting) flying up from Popham on Tuesday 27th, returning same day. At-least one, probably two spare seats going if anybody's interested.

G

Simon853
2nd Sep 2005, 21:40
Is it possible to attend as Joe Public, or do you have to apply as part of industry (like at DSEi)

thanks,

Si

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Sep 2005, 23:02
Tell 'em you're part of the industry, but they're pretty relaxed about proof. Tell them you're a consultant or something.

G

Hilico
2nd Sep 2005, 23:52
The 27th then? Where shall we all meet?

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Sep 2005, 09:59
Fly-in details (such as they exist so far) at http://www.helitech.co.uk/travel/flyin.asp - note that us FW pilots only get 15 minutes per hour.

May I suggest meeting at around midday? It's a good time to go in search of lunch.

G

Simon853
3rd Sep 2005, 12:41
Tell 'em you're part of the industry, but they're pretty relaxed about proof.

Genghis,
It's not a problem. If I can't get in as Joe P then I'll apply through work. (We do military f/w and heli elecronics anyway, including a lot of Merlin work. I'll just need the boss's permission before I use the company name in vain.)

Si

Whirlybird
3rd Sep 2005, 20:32
I'm hoping to fly in with one of my students who wants to go; not sure which day yet; depends when we can get an R22.

212man
5th Sep 2005, 18:00
Drat! Went in 1989 and 1995 but have not been able to get back since, often missing it by a matter of days. This year is no exception as leaving the UK on the 16th.

Oh well, I look forward to hearing all about it. Must plan 2007 a bit better! ;)

huntnhound
5th Sep 2005, 19:08
Hope MD Helicopters havent booked a large stand:bored:

Ned-Air2Air
5th Sep 2005, 20:06
We will be exhibiting again this year.

Feel free to stop by the stand if you wish.

Cheers

Ned

DBChopper
5th Sep 2005, 20:57
Well I'll be flying in , arriving in style in the R22 :E, on the Wednesday so I will be popping by to say hi and admire your pics, Ned :ok:

Capn Notarious
5th Sep 2005, 22:29
Hope MD Helicopters havent booked a large stand

Why, explain yourself, or apologise for using bandwidth.
No personal vendetta's or hidden agendas.

CRAN
6th Sep 2005, 07:33
I'll be coming down on the 27th also...see you all there!

CRAN
:ok:

Tony Chambers
6th Sep 2005, 11:01
i will be popping in on the Wednesday, i'm a first time visitor to helitech but i've heard good things so can't wait to see for myself.

ThomasTheTankEngine
6th Sep 2005, 15:26
Hi R22 Driver sorry it took me a while to reply, there is no charge for flying in the sim however if we are really busy there we do limit the longer flights to flight schools, the press etc. What we do with other pilots is limit the flight to about 5 minutes so everyone can have a go.

I look forward to seeing you there. :O

PANews
6th Sep 2005, 16:49
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope MD Helicopters havent booked a large stand
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why, explain yourself, or apologise for using bandwidth.
No personal vendetta's or hidden agendas.

It seems that the Capn has an agenda of his own there.

As stated the Huntnhound quote does not say anything negative [or positive] about MD Helicopters....

Does someone have the twitch Capn?

There may be some out there that might wonder where the finance for a golden palace at Helitech came from.

Even in a worst case scenario perhaps Huntnhound is proferring sound advice.

R22DRIVER
6th Sep 2005, 16:57
Hi TTTE,

Sorry for my ignorance about Simulators but can you simulate all different types of helicopter, terrain, weather etc?

Im still young and niaeve in helicopter experiance, both flying and industry. I hoping this day will add that little bit more!!

R22

Capn Notarious
6th Sep 2005, 18:42
PANews
An exibition with some missing, would be an incomplete event.
I have no hidden agendas or financial interests.

ThomasTheTankEngine
6th Sep 2005, 19:05
Hi R22DRIVER

Yes we can simulate terrain; we have excellent terrain for the UK.

We can change weather conditions while your are flying the sim (cloud base, viss wind rain, snow etc)

The performance and certification is based on the B206 however we also have instrument panels for various different type's (R22, R44, HU269, AS350)

We have a start up procedure for the B206 (Hot start, hung start and normal start)

Flying Lawyer
6th Sep 2005, 21:21
I'm planning to go on the 27th.
See you there.

I'm sure everyone will want to see the Huey. How about meeting there?

Simon853
6th Sep 2005, 22:32
I'm going on (allegedly) company business. Managed to convince my boss there's a case for it...:O

Not sure what day yet, but I'll sadly be arriving by car. Unless that is someone's flying in from the Midlands for the day and has a spare seat I can blag?...

Oh, and how do we recognise other ppruners? Is there like a masonic handshake or summat?;)

Si

Genghis the Engineer
6th Sep 2005, 23:02
Small silver wings on lapels, failing that - ask!

G

rotorrookie
7th Sep 2005, 01:30
This one will be on Helithech for display,Air Alpha's Bell 222.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/OYHIG222.jpg

It came here to Iceland from Greenland few days ago and there is some maintenance work being done on it.

This is actually the one of two B-222 that where used in Airwolf and only one left as far as I know the other on crashed in Germany few years ago. So here is chance for you Airwolf fans to see it at Helitech. :ok: Airwolf (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://plamodel.com.ne.kr/ref/airwolf/8.jpg&imgrefurl=http://plamodel.com.ne.kr/ref/airwolf/airwolf1.html&h=600&w=800&sz=62&tbnid=APAkbUSy71EJ:&tbnh=106&tbnw=142&hl=en&start=11&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dairwolf%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26c2coff %3D1%26client%3Dopera%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DN)

Heliport
7th Sep 2005, 08:09
Rendezvous -

The Huey: At mid-day on whichever day you attend.

Simon853

Here's a picture (from the Huey thread) which will help you ID a couple of Rotorheads.

SASless (left) and Flying Lawyer
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/Huey3crop.jpg

Heliport

Bravo73
7th Sep 2005, 08:12
Er, Heliport, I'm sure that they'll tell you this themselves but that's Flying Lawyer on the left, SASLess on the right!

cyclicmicky
7th Sep 2005, 10:50
The 27th for me, slot 10.02 am see you there folks!!

tall and tasty
7th Sep 2005, 12:33
My new company are having a stand this year.

Please go along and have a look, aisle 18 last display at the end next to the main walkway

TnT :ok:

Whirlybird
7th Sep 2005, 19:55
I'm going on the 27th. Do we have to phone and get specific times/slots?

Hilico
7th Sep 2005, 20:49
See earlier - someone suggested the RAeS stand at noon on 27th. I'll be wandering around all day with two badges, one issued by the organisers and the other bearing my PPRuNe id.

Ned-Air2Air
7th Sep 2005, 20:53
Open invite to everyone coming to Helitech to stop by our stand, 2004. Just on the left hand side as you walk out of the main hall to the static display area.

Mark Ogden, myself and a few others will be there so stop in and say hi :ok:

Cheers

Ned

SilsoeSid
7th Sep 2005, 20:55
Some would,say that the barrel needs to come a little bit more to the right and.....

But not me, just an observation from trawling the threads!!!

SS

Flying Lawyer Flies Undone !!

cyclicmicky
8th Sep 2005, 16:26
Whirls ..yes you have to call them for a slot...and you have to be given an exit gate by atc.
There is a good notam up with all the inbound route info!!.
For a slot call 01223 833376. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-085.gif

delta3
8th Sep 2005, 19:49
Hope to cross the channel an join you on the 27th wheather permitting.
Hope to meet some of you.

d3

jemax
9th Sep 2005, 08:52
I have read the Helitech thread and will take up the kind offers to meet.

I have only been in the Helicopter business for just over a year and am a 200 hour piston pilot, so no experience of Helitech or any other aviation trade shows.

Question is what advice can anyone give me to help build contacts and potential job opportunities at the show?

Reason I ask is in my previous career I have been to many trade shows, but usually the people running stands are busy selling their own product without wanting to be hassled by Wannabee's.

Are there any particularly dead times, early or late when it would be better to grab people's attention? Would exhibitors be open to this type of approach or would I create a name for myself by bugging people? My aim is to get to the 250hours and start instructing, so would like to gear my efforts in that direction.

Any advice at all would be appreciated

muffin
9th Sep 2005, 12:28
You need to get and read the AIC before you phone for a slot as that is the first question they ask you. You also have to tell them which exit gate you want - the info is all in the AIC.

hairyclameater
13th Sep 2005, 17:38
Hello all, a rare excursion for me into all things rotary...

Does anyone know if theres any truth in the rumour about an Italian fire fighting S64 Skycrane showing up for said event???.....

Whirlybird
13th Sep 2005, 18:33
Where do I get hold of this AIC? The Helitech website just says that it will be published in due course. :confused:

The Nr Fairy
13th Sep 2005, 18:54
Whirly:

AIC now available at http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aic/4Y175.PDF

Whirlybird
13th Sep 2005, 21:52
Nr Fairy, thanx. :ok:

Genghis the Engineer
14th Sep 2005, 06:22
I note that whilst Helitech's website says that FW landings will be limited to 15 minutes of each hour, there's no mention of this in the AIC.

G

AlanM
14th Sep 2005, 06:36
Just seen that (Sorry - have been overseas)

Does that affect our plan GtE??!

Brilliant Stuff
14th Sep 2005, 13:56
Hello Everone,
I have registered to go to HELITECH and have recieved my badge today, but can I take my wife with me or does she have to register as well?

I rang the Telephone number on the leaflet, but noone is answering.

Your help is very much appreciated.

JimL
14th Sep 2005, 14:29
If she goes along with you she can register at the desk.

SASless
14th Sep 2005, 14:50
JimL,

We will have the Huey down to the show....you going to stop by and chat?

Genghis the Engineer
14th Sep 2005, 16:04
Does that affect our plan GtE??!
That doesn't, but unfortunately I discovered this morning that my 1/17th of a PA28 is being flown to France that week by somebody who got to the diary marginally before I did.

I'm afraid that means I'll have to go up by car, sorry! May see you there anyhow.

G

SASless
14th Sep 2005, 19:47
Bravo....somehow it comes out correctly....Sasless on the Right...heavens I should ever be on the "Left" side of an issue!

Looking forward to the gathering on the 27th as suggested by the Handsome Fellow standing to my right....and on the Left.:ok:

Ned-Air2Air
14th Sep 2005, 20:21
Hey SASLess - Are Kiwis and Aussies allowed at your little gathering, if so me and me editor will have to stop by and say hi. :E

Ned

SASless
14th Sep 2005, 22:08
Ned,

Of course...all Rotorheads and other ppruners are welcome I am sure. It should be a grand time....Flying Lawyer is planning to be there....Whirly...R22...Ghenghis....bound to be a bunch that wander over that are up for a good Ear Bash.:ok:

tall and tasty
14th Sep 2005, 23:33
bound to be a bunch that wander over that are up for a good Ear Bash.

SASless - word on the street - if I am a good girl I may be allowed to attend , so would be lovely to see you and everyone else again and maybe this time have longer to chat.

TnT ;)

Aser
15th Sep 2005, 01:16
Brilliant Stuff:
I asked the same question by email regarding my girlfriend and they said that she just need to register by web, entrance free.
We have already received the badges.

Aser. :ok:

Brilliant Stuff
15th Sep 2005, 09:30
Well I will take the chance and register her at the gate.Thank you for your replies.

Looking forward to it.

Hope the weather will play ball.

SASless
15th Sep 2005, 10:49
Rain Slicker, Brolly and yer Wellies might be good things to bring along! Can't let a drop or two of liquid sunshine dampen your visit!

Genghis the Engineer
15th Sep 2005, 11:15
Incidentally, I might be in company with Genghis.Sr. who is a former designer at Supermarine, and although not involved in aviation much recently generally good for a few war-stories.

G

VitaminGee
20th Sep 2005, 13:21
Having managed to obtain a day-release, I'm looking forward to visiting on the 27th and meeting some Ppruners :ok:

VG

Fake Sealion
20th Sep 2005, 15:48
Any Ppruners know of a spare seat (attached to either helo or fixed wing) goin' to Helitech next week from Leeds/Harrogate/York area?

Please PM me.

Thanks

FS

Banjo
20th Sep 2005, 20:30
Will also be there with my better half and hope to meet SASless and see the ship.

Just hope the payback for dragging her around the show doesn't hurt my wallet too much later in the week.:{

Whirlygig
20th Sep 2005, 22:20
Whirls has registered but not sure which day yet! but ....see you there!

Cheers

W

Double Echo
21st Sep 2005, 08:33
I'll be on stand 1408 for those who are after a bit of light entertainment... Myself and the chaps over on 1409 will be tossing custard pies and flicking rubbers at each other, not to mention a few insults, professional, personal and just downright juvenile.. And for good measure the lads on 1305 will no doubt want a piece of the action.... whose brainwave was it to put the 3 of the UK's 4 HUMS manufacturers within spitting distance of each other???:rolleyes: Gentlemen, choose your weapons!!! :E

Seriously, all ppruners drop by and say hi :ok:

SASless
21st Sep 2005, 09:07
DE,

Sounds like some interesting Vibs there! One must not get out of track while working....

Double Echo
21st Sep 2005, 09:14
SASless

Even for this time of day... That was dreadful :rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing the Huey.

Dubs

Whirlygig
21st Sep 2005, 09:17
Whaddya mean Sassy,

Dubs is a well-balanced guy :O

Cheers

Whirls

Double Echo
21st Sep 2005, 09:57
Yeah, I know whirls, I have a chip on each shoulder... very witty:O

tall and tasty
21st Sep 2005, 10:15
Myself and the chaps over on 1409 will be tossing custard pies and flicking rubbers at each other, not to mention a few insults, professional, personal and just downright juvenile..

Now DE there are easier ways of getting remembered at Helitech '05

TnT ;)

SASless
21st Sep 2005, 10:54
For sure....you should have seen her dancing on the bar last time!

Fake Sealion
25th Sep 2005, 18:32
Any Ppruners interested in sharing costs of driving to/from Helitch on WEDNESDAY ?- departing from near Harrogate.

Please PM me

Cheers

FS

Whirlybird
26th Sep 2005, 11:27
I'll now be there on Wednesday...arriving in a plank, wx permitting. Hope to see some of you.

Simon853
26th Sep 2005, 12:35
Myself and the chaps over on 1409 will be tossing custard pies and flicking rubbers at each

I used to work for the 1409 guys, so if it escalates into a fully-fledged food fight I may be press-ganged into joining their numbers.

Si

tall and tasty
26th Sep 2005, 13:37
fully-fledged food fight I may be press-ganged into joining their numbers.

well now I have discovered I will be there for 2.5 days I may just come along and bring a few pies.

But on the other hand I am supposed to be working and portaying a good image for the company so may be just watch :( or take a few sneaky photos :p

TnT

Fake Sealion
26th Sep 2005, 14:06
For those of us attending Wednesday....it would be jolly nice of someone attending Tuesday, to post a quick summary tomorrow evening of the "don't miss" hot items (oh matron) at the show.

Ta ever so much

FS

:D

Martin1234
26th Sep 2005, 15:10
Can anyone shed some light on the mysterious courtesy buses running from Cambridge train station to/from Helitech? I can't find any information on the web, nor does anyone answer on the phone number listed.

Tony Chambers
26th Sep 2005, 18:24
i will be visiting on the Tuesday now so i can drop a few lines when i return.

md 600 driver
26th Sep 2005, 20:05
i am going tuesday steve

Heliport
26th Sep 2005, 21:44
According to the HeliTech website, a free shuttle bus will operate between Cambridge Train Station and Helitech at peak times.

Hilico
27th Sep 2005, 21:25
Was there on the Tuesday from 10am until kicked out by half-five. An astoundingly interesting and brilliant day. It was more brilliant than last time, because I deliberately talked to as many people as possible. As a result:

I tried out a 206 sim with surround-vision. Now bear in mind that most of what I know about flying a 206 comes from this website, I knew to press IDLE REL before winding the rpm up. I also managed to crash at the bottom of a full-stop auto, but as the instructor kindly noted, I almost didn't. There were at least three sims at the show, as opposed to one last time, and they were at least two generations ahead. It's worth a visit to try these alone.

I got to use a virtual-reality system. This looks like a cycling helmet with NVGs on the front and looks even more daft. 'Now if you look left, you can see the cockpit, and right you can see the tail'. A magnetic sensor picks up your head movements and translates them faithfully. 'Blimey, so I can!'. 'Now if you look down, you will see the winchman at the bottom of the cable. No, you have to lean forwards to look over the door frame.' 'Blimey, so I can!'.

By this time, I can see out of the corner of my eye a knot of interested spectators. The kind of spectators that nudge each other and snigger.

'And if you look underneath the fuselage, you can see the cargo hook waggle when the pilot does the check. No, lean forward a bit more'. So there I am sitting in an office chair, wearing the cycling helmet from hell, head between my legs and exclaiming 'crumbs, I can see it waggling!'.

I got to meet the designers of 'chip detectors that bite back'. These chip detectors aren't simply magnets to pick up pieces from the oil flow. They don't even simply light up when they catch something. No, they're connected to a bank of capacitors, so when something completes the circuit, bang! go the caps and vapourise whatever-it-was. Now if they don't pick anything else up, you don't even see a light on the panel. If they do pick up something else, the system thinks - hmm, one might be spurious, two could be enemy action - and only then does the panel light come on. Cuts the likelihood of spurious indications (and casts new light on the chip-detector thread of a couple of months ago).

I got to talk to the Chief Engineer at Sennheiser headsets. As I arrived at the stand, Carolyn Grace was revving up her Spit outside and you couldn't hear yourself think. 'Wouldn't it be a great gimmick,' I shouted, 'if you had the headsets rigged up so your customers could talk to you easily on them!' 'They are rigged up,' he shouted, and we duly donned a pair each.

But best of all, I got to meet Sasless. The Huey is indeed attracting attention; he had seen at least three groups of people catch site of it and march straight up without even glancing at the fleet of aircraft parked to their right. I even got to sit in it. I thought he meant the back - 'no no, this seat!', opening the P1 door. I tell you, I felt as though I was five years old again. Partly because of the 'look at me ma!' factor, but mainly because all the controls were too far away for me to reach.

Then he slid the armoured panel forward. The one that stops bullets. It was at this point that I realised - no, appreciated - this was a fighting machine. The names of the aircrew painted on the door sort of emphasised that when I read them. I said I'd wanted to fly helicopters since I was three, and if I'd been 18 and someone had said they'd teach me at no cost as long as I understood that when qualified they'd send me into a war zone, I'd have signed right up there and then. Some people certainly did that. But, 'If I knew then what I know now, well, I'm not so sure...'

We shook hands when I left. I didn't call him 'Sir' by accident.

Whirlybird
27th Sep 2005, 21:41
Having looked at the TAFs, I've decided our little C150 won't much like the forecast high winds, rain, and low cloud. But I'm still going tomorrow, as one of the flying mags wants an article, so I'm getting up early to drive there. So look out for a shortish blonde woman who might be scribbling notes, and come and say hi. And I hope to meet SASless and the Huey and anyone else who's around at noon, as suggested way back on this thread.

See you all!

Flying Lawyer
27th Sep 2005, 21:55
Tips to see:

The Huey - and SASless obviously!

The CueSim simulator. It's awesome, as our American friends might say. :ok:
I flew it for about 10 minutes and it's an amazing bit of kit - as it should be @ £600K!
If you can, try to get to fly it. But, even if it's fully booked, it's worth going inside the stand just to see the visuals.
The CueSim stand is near the in the middle of the pavilion near the entrance.

FL

tall and tasty
27th Sep 2005, 22:05
Had a brillant day and met some fellow ppruners, hi to those I did meet.

The big boys like McAlpine/Rolls Royce and Thales had impressive stands, smaller ones just as informative. I unfortunately did not get to see the outside displays but did hear them, including missing SASless and the Huey. Enjoyed catching up with a dear friend on his stand and his fantastic MD. The evening party was fun and another opportunity to see other exibitors and meet them and to see the static aircraft displays in the old Hanagar.

Won't be there until Thursday now and promise to be on my best behaviour :E being the last day

Highly recommend it to anyone who wants to go even if you are a rookie to the industry. Most companies are very friendly and willing to take the time to chat about their product and give you freebies.

TnT:ok:

hemac
27th Sep 2005, 22:24
Unfortunately, due to pressures of work, I am unable to attend Helitech; and I'm gutted.

A picture speaks a thousand words, perhaps a few of you visiting tomorrow and Thursday could take a few snap shots so the rest of us can see what we have missed out on.

I will definately be attending next year, come hell or high water.

H.

tall and tasty
27th Sep 2005, 23:26
I will definately be attending next year,

hemac next one is scheduled for 1-2 Oct 2007 ;) . Shame you can't come I will try and get a good photographer I know up there to post some for you

TnT

Genghis the Engineer
28th Sep 2005, 06:38
Had a great day there, although unfortunately couldn't make the 1200 RV due to suddenly being in the middle of an impromptue meeting. The only "known PPruner" I talked to was G-KEST who I traded some usual banter with.

Other than that, got there at just after 10am, roughly co-incident with Genghis.Sr (who consults to a firm supplying refuelling kit these days and had come to check out the opposition), then spent a fascinating morning up and down the halls. Interesting to see the number of sims springing up, although clearly a few were as yet uncertified and probably uncertifiable - but a good clue of a way in which the helicopter market is shadowing the FW one.

A remarkably number of people there I knew, if not Ppruners, and had several impromptue but very useful meetings: this really is one of the strengths of Helitech.

After lunch (and the wind had dropped a bit) strolled outside to admire the exhibits and add to my photo library. VERY impressed by SASless' Huey, a lovely piece of restoration. I noted the representative of one Vietnamiese company inspecting it with what could best be described as morbid fascination.

And finally, around 3pm, G.Sr and I decided to have our annual free stroll around the museum. Reading the details of the new hall they're building - that's going to be hellishly impressive once it's finished. About 4pm, saw what looked suspiciously like FL's Gazellicopter departing.

In the meantime, on a FW note, some enjoyable warbird "displaying" going on all day, which only added to the feel of the day. One, non rotary, photo I took yesterday posted below with no apologies. I believe the aircraft is Caroline Grace's Mk.9T.

Overally, the best Helitech yet (of about 5 I've attended) and worth a day of anybody's time - whether they're fixed or rotary in their disposition.

G

http://www.planetjitsu.com/modules/gallery/albums/Genghis-place-for-a-few-aviation-pictures/Spitfire_9T_Caroline_Grace_Duxford_Sept_2005.sized.jpg

And on a more rotary note, due to overwhelming demand from Hemac :O , some of the more interesting rotary photos I took yesterday.

On display at the show....

http://www.planetjitsu.com/modules/gallery/albums/Aviation/MD900_Explorer_Duxford_Sept_2005.sized.jpg
MD900

http://www.planetjitsu.com/modules/gallery/albums/Aviation/Bell_47_Duxford_Sept_2005.sized.jpg
Bell 47

Flown in
http://www.planetjitsu.com/modules/gallery/albums/Aviation/Westland_Wasp_Duxford_Sept_2005.sized.jpg
Westland Wasp

http://www.planetjitsu.com/modules/gallery/albums/Aviation/Aerospatial_AS350B2_Duxford_Sept_2005.sized.jpg
AS350

And a couple of oldies from the museum

http://www.planetjitsu.com/modules/gallery/albums/Aviation/Cierva_C30A_Duxford_Sept_2005.sized.jpg
Cierva C30A

http://www.planetjitsu.com/modules/gallery/albums/Aviation/Focke_Achgelis_FA330_Gyroglider_Duxford_Sept_2005.sized.jpg
Focke-Achgelis FA330 Gyroglider

All (c) me, but I don\'t care, feel free to borrow any of the photos. You can download bigger images
here (http://www.planetjitsu.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Aviation&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php). For anybody with interest in such things, the photos were all taken with a Yakumo MegaImage 410, handheld and set to 4MPix; the indoor ones used the built-in flash. Actually taking photos at Helitech is quite hard, as much of the flying was into-sun, and the static displays are so close together it's hard just to get one (and a whole) aircraft in-frame

G

md 600 driver
28th Sep 2005, 11:22
tall and tasty
dear friend on his stand and his fantastic MD

was that a fantastic managing director or md helicopter

Fake Sealion
28th Sep 2005, 11:36
T & T.....

Yes....I am as baffled as MD600 driver?

"Fantastic MD" really does have 2 meanings at Helitech !
Explain yourself?

MD600...

ALL MD's are fantastic aren't they? Henri-Marie Coanda is the daddy !

FS
:D

HeliEng
28th Sep 2005, 11:52
Will be in attendance on Thursday.

If anyone flying from the South Coast, would you like someone to share costs???

Please PM me!

Regards

Helieng

Whirlygig
28th Sep 2005, 11:54
I will now be going on Thursday too! 12.00 at the Huey?

Cheers

Whirls

tall and tasty
28th Sep 2005, 12:02
Fantastic MD" really does have 2 meanings at Helitech !

apologise to those I did not make that clear to...........

MD meant Managing Director

Whirls hope to see you on Thursday

TnT ;)

VitaminGee
28th Sep 2005, 15:47
. " ooh I don't like the upholstery. "

they've obviously never travelled in the back of a Sea King then!:E

Genghis the Engineer
28th Sep 2005, 15:58
For that matter, they should have had a good look in the back of the Huey a few hundred yards away.

G

Capn Notarious
28th Sep 2005, 18:15
. " ooh I don't like the upholstery. "

Was taken from my original post, deleted and a waspish comment that I had overheard.
This was the best Helitech so far, I was in Redhill 1995, not missed any.
I counted 30 plus helicopters on the far side of the field. Registration spotters would have needed telescopes, some dictate others have note books. There is almost the ornithologist attitude about them, but has any one of you seen a female spotter?

WASALOADIE
28th Sep 2005, 18:22
I'll be there tomorrow as well. Looking forward to meeting some fellow pruners. Initials AP.

See you there

hemac
28th Sep 2005, 18:26
hemac next one is scheduled for 1-2 Oct 2007

Aaaaaah!:{

Great pics Genghis.

I am seriously considering making some highly dubious excuses tomorrow, hang the consequences, and coming along.

What time does it finish, anyone?

H.

Genghis the Engineer
28th Sep 2005, 18:51
1700hrs local time.

G

Whirlygig
28th Sep 2005, 18:53
I think it closes early on Thursday 16:00.

Cheers

Whirls

muffin
28th Sep 2005, 19:14
but has any one of you seen a female spotter?

Yes, there are lots of them. We used to have trade stands at airshows and spoke to loads. I noticed quite a few (male) ones at Helitech today with notebooks trying to get the regs across the field.

Excellent day out - pity I had to cancel my slot and drive but I did not fancy 27G47 winds and rain on the way home. Still, as I sat in the traffic jam in the heavy rain to get onto the M1 I felt I had made the right decision.

At least Sasless invited me to sit in his superb Huey.

Whirlygig
28th Sep 2005, 19:29
Sorry muffin, there are plenty of women who are interested in helicopters and aviation but I don't think there are many (if any) female "spotters" i.e. birds going round with notebooks taking stock of reg. numbers etc. I might be wrong but I've never met one!

Cheers

Whirls

SilsoeSid
28th Sep 2005, 19:29
Just confirming the timings,
Thursday 29th September - 1000-1600

Genghis, did you get a pic of the Hind in hangar 2?
The 'A-10' wingless version of course was a previous holder of the 'World Helicopter Speed Record' back in 1975. :8

Big, Ugly and Hidden away... ;) ... Beautiful!!

Best bacon roll and coffee can be found, of course, at the big 'M' !!

SS

PANews
28th Sep 2005, 20:20
........ plenty of women who are interested in helicopters and aviation but I don't think there are many (if any) female "spotters" i.e. birds going round with notebooks taking stock of reg. numbers etc...........

Depends on your interpretation...

There is at least one - although some say [convincingly!] it is a gender remodel!

Anything to prove its an equal opportunity hobby I guess!

Genghis the Engineer
28th Sep 2005, 21:05
Genghis, did you get a pic of the Hind in hangar 2?

Nope, but I might just have some transparencies of the first appearance of a Hind at Helitech circa 1989 (I think I even took a picture of a couple of fisheads putting "fly Navy" stickers on them).

If I can get my slide scanner to work (not sure what's wrong with the damned thing at the moment) and I'm asked nicely...

G

Benet
29th Sep 2005, 05:55
See you there... Thursday 1200 at the Huey ... I'll be wearing my Reuters hat!

Benet

Simon853
29th Sep 2005, 07:57
Nope, but I might just have some transparencies of the first appearance of a Hind at Helitech circa 1989 (I think I even took a picture of a couple of fisheads putting "fly Navy" stickers on them).

There was a Hind-E at Farnborough last year, on the BAe Systems stand if I recall correctly, (on static display), illustrating their remodernisation programmes for Eastern European customers. I got a chance to take a peak inside.

A friend of mine got to fly in one in Germany a few years back while on a jolly with work. He had the time of his life sat there in the gunner's cabin!

Si

tall and tasty
29th Sep 2005, 15:47
I did not manage to go to the last day:( ! But I had to hold the fort. But I hope those who I know who were going today enjoyed themselves. Has anyone got any good stories to tell? Everyone behave, especially on a certain set of stands near aisle 13? ;) :p

Hope there will be some more piccies as I did not get to go out and look at the outside exibitors when I was there on Tuesday. Genghis the Engineer love the ones you posted already

Hope the clearup is not too horrendous, how I managed to get out of that who knows :p

TnT

johned0
29th Sep 2005, 16:34
Who was that noisey b***er departing this afternoon ??? ;)

It must have been SASLess in the Huey :D

I think you woke everyone up who was trying to catch some sleep at the back of the trade stands.

That machine does look and sound awesome - it was the highlight of the visit.

Benet
29th Sep 2005, 17:07
http://www.benet.org.uk/images/misc/bicycle-and-concorde.jpg

Found somewhere to park my bicycle...

Have to agree with Johned0 - SASless' departure in the Huey was awesome. Inside the marquee, there was a tidal rush of people towards the windows when that thundering noise came over (twice!)

Nice to meet some Pprune faces - Hemac, SASless, Whirlygig. Sorry T&T didn't make it since the name definitely piques my curiousity!!

Also present: G-PIXX (but not M Smith jr unfortunately) and the team from Helicopter Adventures... see you in Florida in two weeks' time folks, for my CPL(H). I can't wait! :D

tall and tasty
29th Sep 2005, 19:55
Who was that noisey b***er departing this afternoon

and I missed the huey for the second time in a week. Good thing I saw her in all her glory at Redhill. Maybe the next show.

TnT :p

Pat Malone
29th Sep 2005, 20:55
Nobody between Stansted and Luton could have missed SASless's peerless departure today; dang near blew the tent down. Is there a configuration for maximum blade slap on that thing? If so, he found it on his second run over the marquee.
My own departure was less thrilling for observers but memorable for me - cleared onto the active after the landing B-17.
Great day, great show - well organised, well attended.

R22DRIVER
30th Sep 2005, 12:29
Well this was my first Helitech and boy was it good! It was nice to see lots of proper helicopters and get the chance to crawl all over them!

The Sims were excellent and loved having a play with those but the highlight of the show for me was the personal cockpit tour of the Huey by Mr SASless himself! It was fantastic and got me wondering what it must of been like dodging bullets in Vietnam! Respect for those guys!!!

I would love to have seen it flying but you never know, i just hope it gets minds boggling to more restoration projects. Being a young wipper snapper its nice to see the machines of yesteryear!!

Roll on the next show!!!

:ok: to SASless and Whirls!!!!!!

HeliEng
30th Sep 2005, 14:03
Found these on e-bay if anyone is interested.

Helitech 1 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-x-6x4inch-photos-of-helicopters-at-Helitech-2005-1_W0QQitemZ6565893674QQcategoryZ806QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem)

Helitech 2 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-x-6x4inch-photos-of-helicopters-at-Helitech-2005-2_W0QQitemZ6565896101QQcategoryZ806QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem)

Helitech 3 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-x-6x4inch-photos-of-helicopters-at-Helitech-2005-3_W0QQitemZ6565898826QQcategoryZ806QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem)

Helitech 4 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-x-6x4inch-photos-of-helicopters-at-Helitech-2005-4_W0QQitemZ6565900258QQcategoryZ806QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem)

Fake Sealion
30th Sep 2005, 14:06
Great show!

I pitched up at the Huey spot at 1200 to meet Ppruners to see the machine sitting 100m away "airside".
However, saw her departure and "felt" the flypast thru the soles of my shoes....looked around me and everyone was just smiling. Overused word but accurate.....Awesome.

Overheard someone saying that the Huey and the B-17 got airborne yesterday for a joint air to air photo shoot. Can any one comment?

FS

Whirlygig
30th Sep 2005, 14:10
Oh Fake Sealion, it was easy - you should have just blagged your way through; that's what we did!

Told them that we were guests of the Huey, we put on our hi-vis and toddled across!

Helps if you're a cheeky bint!

Cheers

Whirls

Fake Sealion
30th Sep 2005, 14:34
Whirls

Think yourself lucky you wern't arrested under our Ant-Terrorism Act (Section 4 - Sub Section 5a - Threat :Cheeky Bints )

Must re-enroll at the local Assertiveness Clinic.

Cheerz

Keep Whirling

FS

:p

SASless
30th Sep 2005, 15:41
We discussed trying to get some photo's of the Huey parked in frame with the B-17 but that all got overtaken by events.

To suggest I would like to do a photoshoot with the B-17 and the Huey would be a mild understatement. I don't know about others...but seeing that B-17 flying and all she symbolizes makes my allergies act up....eyes get watery and I get a lump in my throat....just like when a Mustang, Spitfire, or other old warbird goes by.

I know there are lots of other guys feel the same way about the Huey as I do....it is an honor to get to fly the thing. Sometimes in your life you get to do something that has special meaning to it....this Huey project has been one of them.

For those of you that do not have a November issue of Flypast Magazine....there is a really nice article about the Huey and some very nice photographs.

:D :D :D :D

Hilico
30th Sep 2005, 18:37
Sounds like SASless did a fantastic job of showing people round the machine on all three days. He certainly did me. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking well done, and thank you very much.

tall and tasty
30th Sep 2005, 19:26
Sounds like SASless did a fantastic job of showing people round the machine on all three days. He certainly did me. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking well done, and thank you very much

Even thought I did not get to look at her at Duxford I got a lovely tour at Redhill. SASless has a beautiful machine and is very proud of her. She is a sentance stopped that is one thing. Even her arrival at Redhill got people out of hanagers and stopping in their tracks just as it sounds like she did at Duxford.

It is lovely there are people in the industry who take time to restore and show the vintage machines from an era that has gone

SASless and later in October for the Duxford Show in October...if they will have us of course. lets hope so and this time I hope to attend and see both of you.

TnT:ok:

SASless
30th Sep 2005, 19:52
I enjoyed visiting with Hillico and all the others that came by the Huey and only wish I had more time with each one. It is a joy showing off the old girl...and the kind comments we received at the show and on the forum here are appreciated. Phil went through a very arduous and trying time in getting the aircraft done and approved for export and deserves applauding for having the determination to make it all happen. I know he was tickled pink by the response we got at Duxford from all that visited.:ok:

Skeeter Pilot
30th Sep 2005, 22:50
Well I finally got to see the beast, I had not been reading the post prior to the event so it was a suprise when we landed.

SaSless, Sorry I did not get the chance to speak to you, it all got a bit hectic once we pushed the Skeeter into the static area. Fantastic to sit in a Huey, I think Phil enjoyed a sit in the 'Squiter', must have felt a bit claustrophobic compared to the massive hull of the Huey, I call it ergonomic. :D

Shame we left before you, hope I can get to hear her one day. Beat the rain home but was gusting 35kts as we closed the hangar doors.

Congratulations to everyone involved with the project.

Here are a few pics I took on the day that folks might like to see:

http://website.lineone.net/~sarrac/Helitech2005/DSC00296.jpg

http://website.lineone.net/~sarrac/Helitech2005/DSC00302.jpg
http://website.lineone.net/~sarrac/Helitech2005/DSC00311.jpg
http://website.lineone.net/~sarrac/Helitech2005/DSC00318.jpg
http://website.lineone.net/~sarrac/Helitech2005/DSC00329.jpg
http://website.lineone.net/~sarrac/Helitech2005/DSC00334.jpg

Best regards,

SP.

SASless
1st Oct 2005, 07:26
Loved the Skeeter...you got a lot of attention when you departed. That is a very pretty aircraft...another rare gem in the world's collection. Seeing the fabric rotor blades gives one a sense of progress in the industry....and an appreciation for the pioneers who made it happen.

Whirlybird
1st Oct 2005, 08:30
I haven't had time to post up to now. Had a great day out, and SASless, thanks for telling me all about the Huey - wonderful machine! Skeeter Pilot, I couldn't take my eyes off your helicopter either - a fascinating piece of history.

I've written quite a lot of detail about both of these in the Today's Pilot report on Helitech which you might like to read when it comes out...unless the sub-editors think I've overdone it. :(

R22DRIVER, nice meeting you too...and any other prooners I forgot to mention...I seemed to have far to much to see and do in too short a time!

delta3
1st Oct 2005, 11:38
I Had -as apparantly all of you- a great day at heli-tech, including a visit to the imperial war museum.

SASless : great machine, I did not have the time to speak to you, since you were quite buzzy.

Had any one a chance to enter the S-92 ?

d3

Whirlygig
1st Oct 2005, 13:04
Yes, I managed to look round the S-92 on Thursday courtesy of Harrods (thank you!).

The aroma of leather was staggering, the lavatory seat was leather-covered, the comms cabling in the cabin was leather-covered.

Sadly, I didn't have a chance to sit in the cockpit though so can't report much there.

It's a huge machine but, due to the owner's spec, still not much room for crew baggage!

Cheers

Whirls

Editing for spolling due to a certain anally-retentive ppruner picking me up on my typos - I know!!! I'm not perfect contrary to popluar belief!!

Capn Notarious
2nd Oct 2005, 07:05
ONE question, was the Huey flown out from that position. Or did the fence and heli get moved.
This exibition go's from Strength to Strength.

SASless
2nd Oct 2005, 07:52
Ted from TLC in concert with the Elite Helicopters ground crew moved the Huey out beyond the fence early Thursday morning.

heli1
3rd Oct 2005, 13:59
Well I WAS there when the Huey departed and I am surprised Mr Skeeter didn't hear it from inside his hangar.Two flybys made sure the whole of Cambridge heard that satisfying thump thump!

Skeeter Pilot
3rd Oct 2005, 23:23
Heli1,
I received a phone call the next day to say it had just been seen (and heard) tracking over what looked like the Twinwoods/Clapham area. Damm, missed it again!!:(

Whirls,
Was that you in the CBi this afternoon (Monday) just south of EGSH?
Come and land in the garden if you want polish up your confined area operations ...... it's not really that bad. You could take me for a spin in the new machine.:cool:

Whirlygig
4th Oct 2005, 07:22
No Skeets, 'tweren't me?! I was on a course in Stevenage :ugh: :8

Anyway, if we all try hard and use "pester-power" on Sassy, he might, just very well might, bring the Huey up to N'arch.

Cheers

Whirls

Skeeter Pilot
4th Oct 2005, 20:50
"N'arch" .............. you're learning fast, you'll soon be fluent, then you can get your passport.

Skeet.

Aser
10th Oct 2005, 17:28
Some pics from helitech:
http://asermartinez.iespana.es/helitech05/P9280162.jpg
http://asermartinez.iespana.es/helitech05/P9270120.jpg

And... my girlfriend at the controls! :}
Thank you Sasless
http://asermartinez.iespana.es/helitech05/P9270128.jpg

Edit: I forgot the star of the show :E
http://asermartinez.iespana.es/helitech05/P9270039.jpg

More helitech pics at http://asermartinez.iespana.es/helitech05/

Regards
Aser

Ian Corrigible
10th Oct 2005, 21:10
Nice pictures, Aser. Thanks for the link.

(Kudos to Simon O-H for his RTW record, but I wish he'd repaint that hideous MD500E...!)

:E

I/C

rotorrookie
10th Oct 2005, 22:12
Couldn't be there and I'm still crying:{ over it and these stunnig pictures dont help at all,,,,,, but thanks for them anyway:{

Red Wine
10th Oct 2005, 22:22
Bloody Hell.......and I thought all pilots were as ugly as SASless.!!

212man
10th Oct 2005, 23:41
Hey Red Wine.....speak for yourself!!!

Aeser, nice photos; even more miffed I wasn't there now! Glad to see a 155 in your collection. That particular one has probably got the most sohisticated avionics fit in the UK after the S-92 (my next new toy!)

SASless
11th Oct 2005, 07:12
Redwine,

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder old buddy. She sure is the prettiest thing that ever wore that helmet.

Aser the young rascal best hang on to her....tightly....around old helicopter pilots.

rotorrookie
11th Oct 2005, 07:19

Red Wine
11th Oct 2005, 10:44
"Old"....you old fart....Phhfttttt.

SASless
11th Oct 2005, 11:20
Redwine,

Please to remember that even old rats like cheese.;)

Aser
11th Oct 2005, 12:57
212man the 155 was always behind the fence and it was impossible to climb on the S92 :{ hope to see some of your s92 pics ;)

Sasless I'm very aware of the risk of leaving my girlfriend unattended in the heliport :E

Regards.
Aser