PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter crash QLD

Heliport
1st Sep 2005, 22:26
ABC News Online Two escape helicopter crash

Authorities say a trainee helicopter pilot and his teacher were lucky to escape injury when they crashed near the Gold Coast airport in Queensland this afternoon.

The Jet Ranger was extensively damaged in the crash about 800 metres from the Coolangatta terminal.

But the two men on board walked away unharmed.

Peter Gibson from the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) says the men were trying to practise an emergency landing procedure.

"The pilot and the student pilot were attempting an auto-rotation, which is essentially a landing without power on, a simulated engine failure, and unfortunately they landed very heavily," he said.

"The tail boom of the Jet Ranger was in fact cut off."

New South Wales police and air safety authorities are investigating.

John Eacott
2nd Sep 2005, 02:25
Can anyone confirm that the 206 was on low skids with WSP, and the lower wire cutter dug into the ground?

Reading the ABC News report, I can't help but wonder why the NSW Police would be investigating an accident in Queensland :rolleyes: ;) Then again, it is only a media report :p

Ned-Air2Air
2nd Sep 2005, 03:04
The helo was being operated by the newly started, Cooly airport based helo company Gold Coast Helicopters or something like that.

They also have a couple of 407s.

tipsy
2nd Sep 2005, 03:56
John, the State border runs sort of NW-SE through the middle of the airport. It all depends whether the Helo finished up on the Northside (QLD) or the Southside (NSW). I've always wondered where State Police get their aviation accident investigative expertise or skills from, but then again, I don't know how to operate a revenue collection device (those things that look like hair dryers) either.

tipsy
:yuk: :yuk: furball:yuk: :yuk:
Don't lie, steal or cheat, the Government hates competition.:ok:

bwm85
3rd Sep 2005, 05:23
Aircraft was a low skid machine and from what i have heard the lower WSP dug into the ground.