View Full Version : Muscle building - diet and exercise

joe2812
1st Sep 2005, 22:22
As someone who has always been a rather narrow build and weak in my upper body, and I mean very weak, especially in my arms and shoulders, i'm looking to adjust my diet and introduce a strict fitness regime (sp?) to build up muscle strength and repetition.

I'm sure someone else is better placed to know what sort of food groups are good for this (if any exist), what sort of things to avoid, how often etc etc. I've never been one to have trouble with my weight, infact I cannot seem to put any weight on despite me always eating a fair bit - indeed i'm probably not far off underweight (6' tall and 10.5st).

Also, what sort of workouts I should be doing, both at home and in the gym to help? Obviously the basic thing is to do weights... but what sort of weight? Lots of weight and low reps or a smaller weight and less reps?

Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated.

Joe :)

Power Up
2nd Sep 2005, 05:48
I'm no expert, but have done a little bitof training.
To 'bulk up', you ned to eat plenty, mainly carbs and proteins. The carbs are the short term energy source, and the protein helps the recovery and rebuild of torn muscle tissues (this is what causes muscle growth) from training.
In the gym you want to lift the heavier weights, less reps (to give an idea, some competitors will only do a max of 5-6 reps).
If you do light weights, loads of reps, you will tend to tone the muscle, often used to lose weight.
Best bet is to go to any good gym, and get them to set up a program for you.

Jerricho
2nd Sep 2005, 07:07
Hi Joe.

As Power Up says, if you can afford it, any good gym like Fitness First/Cannons etc are very good at compiling a programe for you to meet your requirements.

You mention you're looking to "bulk up". Normally a heavier weight is required with say 8-12 reps. Thing is, form is a basis for this sort of thing. You can see guys in the gym who appear to be lifting some heavy weight.....yet look closer and it's momentum that is moving it (classic example is swinging moting if you're doing bicep curls).

One other thing you have to remember though is that rest is just as important as exercise. Muscle fibres actually "grow" in the periods between workouts (having been broken down by the lifting or whatever you have been doing). A good diet is also a requirement. You could delve into the supplement side of things, but that's a whole different subject. Personally I've found a protein powder isn't a bad thing to supplement a diet (there are loads out there, some better than others)

You're going to get a little sore at times, but you'll feel bloody great for it.

Send me a PM if you have any more questions......and best of luck :ok:

coded_messages
3rd Sep 2005, 14:58
Hi Joe,

Protein and exercise are essential to building muscle mass. You need to hit the gym hard 3-5 times a week and not work the same muscle group within 24 - 48 hours. On top of that I would say do a minimum of 20-30 mins of cardio 3 times a week.

You will get NO results unless your diet is good. Little and often is the key ensuring you are well stocked on good Carbs and Protein and NEVER leave out breakfast. Eat 4-6 times a day and drink at least 2 litres of water a day too.

I would visit the USN site here http://www.usn-eu.com/advice.php

The page has many tips for nutrition, building muscle mass etc. That should answer all of your questions.

Hope this helps :)

fly_guy100
3rd Sep 2005, 15:57
This may seem like a silly question to you all but how do you get a bigger butt and what are some good buttocks exercises? My friend suggested eating a lot of cheeseburgers. Any others?

Jerricho
3rd Sep 2005, 18:33
Squats, squats and more squats!!! And you're looking to move weight rather than high reps.

Use a Smith Machine or Squat rack (although, when you start moving some serious weight, it's a good idea to have somebody nearby.) And form is everything, or you'll stuff your knees up!

joe2812
3rd Sep 2005, 18:51
Guys,

Many thanks for your input, it's all been really informative. The link has also been a help and has gone into bookmarks for further reading later.

I've thought about maybe changing my diet to include more pasta, fish and meat... are these the correct things?

Jerricho, you mention supplements... obviously i'd be wary of using external things like that however can you suggest anything I can perhaps use which you know to be 'safe'? Or is my scepticism unnecessary? Again, pardon my lack of knowledge!

I'd probably plan on getting a couple of hours in the gym perhaps 3 or 4 times a week... would it be correct to say do one session purely on arms/shoulders, another on legs and perhaps another on cardio?

And what would suffice for cardio? A bit on the treadmill, followed by the bike then the rower? I thought that i'd perhaps go for a run on the days when I don't go for a gym so that I can spend all my gym-time on muscle building?

The gym is a Uni gym and as such don't offer personal trainers... the internet is rather sketchy without asking for you to sign up to a subsciption!

Jerricho
3rd Sep 2005, 20:27
Joe, check your PMs mate :ok:

Kalium Chloride
3rd Sep 2005, 20:49
Obviously the basic thing is to do weights... but what sort of weight? Lots of weight and low reps or a smaller weight and less reps?

I've been told that there's two key things to remember if you want to build muscle efficiently:

(i) It almost doesn't matter how many reps you do - the point is that it's the LAST one, the one you struggle to achieve, which makes the difference.

The body needs to be "shocked" into stimulating muscle growth, and that "shock" is not delivered by the reps you're able to achieve (because if you can do them, you don't need more muscle) but rather by the last couple of reps you CAN'T quite manage. So don't be tempted to skip them, even though they're agony - your body needs to know that you're attempting something beyond its capability. As they say - no pain, no gain.

(ii) The muscle itself needs time both to rest and to start growing. That means giving it a recovery period (24 hours) PLUS a growth period (another 24 hours). I was advised not to exercise the same muscle group within 48 hours. If you have to visit the gym every day, make sure you concentrate on different parts of your body and give the newly-exercised bits the recovery and growth time they need.

Jerricho
3rd Sep 2005, 21:04
Whichever muscle group you train, remember to train the opposing muscle group ie biceps/triceps.

Oh hell yes!! Something I have seen people do is totally forget about this when doing abdominal exercise. They do 50 million sit ups to get rock hard abs (which is useless if you have a layer of fat over the top anyway, but that's a different story) and then wonder why they have lower back problems. Imbalances in muscles cause problems. Or you see guys with huge guns and chests with chicken legs and no lats.

I like the "t-shirt body builder" analogy Squirrel :ok: You could be the buffest, hugest bloke in the world and not be able to run 50 metres without collapsing in a heap or throw a ball across the room.

Whirlybird
4th Sep 2005, 09:10
Don't overtrain! If you're training hard three times a week, rest on the days in between. It's very easy to think that doing more means you'll gain more, but that's not the case - overdo it, and you'll simply grind yourself into exhaustion and end up getting sick. :(

bluefin
5th Sep 2005, 21:03
Muscle building is not easy. If it was, everyone you know would be 250lbs of pure muscle. Muscle building takes time and effort, and if you aren't willing to dedicate your time and put in extreme amounts of effort, then you are wasting your time. However, if you fully understand the amount of dedication that is needed, then read on and lets get down to business.

Muscle building requires 3 steps. Step 1 and the most important step is the weightlifting, which must be done correctly. This includes your workout routines and programs, as well as the actual exercises that you do. Your workout routine must allow your entire body to get the best workout it can (so that you are not overtraining), and you must do the most effective muscle building exercises. There are tons of different exercises and machines for each muscle group, but there are just 4 that have the greatest effect. These 4 exercises are your "compound" movements. Let me explain.

The most effective muscle building exercises are compound movements. Compound movements are exercises that require your body to use more than one muscle. For example, bicep curls will only require your body to use your biceps. This is known as an isolation exercise. An exercise like the bench press, which mainly requires the use of your chest, but secondarily requires your triceps and shoulders is a compound movement. Including the bench press, there are 4 weightlifting exercises that MUST be included in your workout routines.

The 4 biggest, most effective, muscle building exercises are Squats, Deadlifts, the Bench Press and the Military Press. All 4 are compound movements and all 4 are are extremely important to your workout. The main exercise of your chest workout should be the bench press, the main exercise of your leg workout should be squats, the main exercise of your back workout should be deadlifts and the main exercise of your shoulder workout should be the military press. Exercises like dumbell flyes which works the chest, leg extensions which works the legs, lat pulldowns which works the back and lateral raises which works the shoulders are all fine exercises and I do every one of them, however, the "big 4" exercises are the ones that will allow you to gain the most muscle, size and strength. (Click here for more info on workout routines and programs)

Muscle building step number 2 is your diet. Diets are just as important as the actual weightlifting, because if you aren't eating to grow, then you will NOT grow. You have to eat big, to lift big, to get big. Say that over and over again to yourself until you fully understand it. Some of the diet basics are eating at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight EVERY DAY whether you worked out that day or not. Protein is the building block of muscle. If you can't get at least 1 gram of protein per pound every day from real food, then use a whey protein supplement like powder and bars. Most people use them, and so do I. Click here for more info on protein supplements. Eating very little (if any) saturated fat is important as well. You want to get big, but you don't want to get fat. Also stay away from the rest of the junk food like cookies, candy, cake, anything high in sugar, soda, fast food, fried food, etc. and make sure you are eating enough calories! You have to eat big to get big, remember?

LindbergB767
5th Sep 2005, 22:53
To Joe 2812

First buy yourself the best magazine which is MensHealth
or and try their web site menshealth.com
You will find all your answers there about training and food
And also many interesting topics

A320sRcool
6th Sep 2005, 00:44
I find Mens health is not a REAL serious magazine for serious bodybuilding try Muscle And Fitness for serious inspiration including photos and diet tips.
PROTEIN PROEIN PROTEIN builds muscles
Have a HIGH protein diet and Low fat intake
Once your body strats to take a new shape - start to increase your meal intake of 6 meals a day
2-3 of those being a high quality Protein Drink- You ll need a blender and lots of ice
I ve been training since I was 21 and it has been a part of my life even during flying training it was a way of escape and as I trained in US a lot of the guys in my flying school also trained so was good inspriration.
If you need advice and a regime I will gladly help- I have also been asked to do modelling in past . With the rite diet and intense training you ll definately see a change in phsique if you read about nutrition and follow a 3 exercise per major muscle part per routine at least . Hope this helps-- Bodybuilding is an art and requires discipline and cosistency and NO excuses!!!! DO NOT EAT FAT - PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN CHICKEN TUNA STEAK- avoid pasta , white bread white rice - processed foods and sodas YUCK high in glucose syrup - converts to fat . eat fish, turkey brown rice, pulses, fruit , salads, oatmeal , eggs. fat free milk
supplements to buy for muscle building from GNC, Vitamin Shoppe:-
all these below aid in muscle growth
creatine powder (take with beverage daily)
glutamine powder ( extensive muscle builder
vitamin B essential for muscle recovery
ripped fuel thermogenic supplement
Omega 3 Fish Oil

These are just some of the supplements that I take ........if u need more advice just give me a shout

'I' in the sky
8th Sep 2005, 06:48
Joe2812

I am not a trainer and have never used one so this advice is just from my own experience. I am not 'big' and never have been but am reasonably strong and fit.

Eating is important, you need the enrgy to do what you want to do once you get to the gym so the right kinds and quantities of carbohydrates are important. Be careful though about 'eating big to get big'. You don't need to be big to be strong and getting big just for the sake of it is a good way of raising your blood pressure. If you have a healthy circulatory system your body should be able to tolerate the short term peaks in blood pressure that will occurr in training however to ask it support an unnatural bulk in the long term can cause problems.

Another important aspect of your training is that you should enjoy it which is one reason I often find myself in conflict with gym instructors, particularly those who struggle to impart a standard of physiology which is lower than you'd have with o-level biology. "Thing is mate, power liftin' dunt really build yer up that much, d'yer know wha a mean ?"

Mix your training, some for strength, some for power and some for endurance BUT, do exercises which you enjoy. Also don't keep it all in the gym, if you take part in something competitive you'll find you extend yourself a lot more without even thinking about it.

Gingerbread Man
11th Sep 2005, 18:11
Jerricho , what kind of exercises should one do to oppose abdominal exercises? I normally do everything in pairs but had never thought of abs for some reason.

Cheers

Ginger ;)

Jerricho
11th Sep 2005, 19:07
Ginge, some gyms do have lower back machines (like a reverse sit-up thing), but I have always found them a little awkward, and I'm not a huge fan of machines anyway.

Have a looksie at this article (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1608/is_5_18/ai_85011011) , you'll find some exercises half way down :ok: