PDA

View Full Version : Air Southwest

sunshine40
1st Sep 2005, 16:25
I just moved to the area and want to visit mates back in London from time to time. I thought Air Southwest would be good for cheap flights but it's over £200 to go back for the weekend, which is ridiculous, it's cheaper to fly to Rome from Bristol!

Also, I have heard reports of diversions at the last minute and being bussed to the end destination.

Any thoughts/experiences gratefully received.

bealine
3rd Sep 2005, 20:21
All UK domestic flights (even EZY) have the potential to have the highest cost of air travel (£ per mile) in the world!!!

Air Southwest operates in exactly the same way as any other airline - you'll get low fares if you book early enough. Leave it until a couple of weeks before travel, you'll probably pay more than BA or the former British Midland would ever have charged!!!

The aircraft used is a Dash 8 which is why last minute cancellations/diversions are a big problem. No other aircraft type (capable of holding more than 30 pax) could use the short runway at Plymouth.

The aircraft cannot land/take-off in any sort of low-visibility conditions. Now, the West Country (I know 'cos I'm a Devonian) is notorious for low cloud, producing a very fine misty drizzle which can last for days on end and often causes nightmares for Air SouthWest!

This is the reason my airline (British Airways) was so eager to sell the West of England routes to them!!!

sunshine40
5th Sep 2005, 11:03
Sounds utterly pointless booking it. Will they refund if they can't fly? The train to Brighton takes forever so would prefer to fly if poss.

thanks for local info.

Kremmen
13th Sep 2005, 23:30
Bealine,

I've landed in thick-ish fog at PLY with BA *in the good old days*

Much missed BA route. It made life SO much easier.

Outoftheblue22
16th Sep 2005, 15:03
I'm not sure that Plymouth is that fog-prone, and the ASW flights to/from Gatwick do seem go in and out of there with almost clockwork regularity on the vast majority of days.

Like any low-cost airline, you'll pay more if you book it at the last minute, but if you book early their 29 quid fare (including all the taxes etc) seems to be quite easy to get. It sure beats a four hour plus trek by road or rail!