PDA

View Full Version : Manchester UK Landing Site

EESDL
1st Sep 2005, 14:58
Does anyone know of a pvt or commercial site in/near city center for a twin?

Crieff-ite
1st Sep 2005, 15:03
Barton Aerodrome might be your best bet.
I was looking for one a wee while ago but to no avail, that was a couple of years ago however, things change.

Good luck

Floppy Link
2nd Sep 2005, 11:18
Try EGCC

Use that brand new shiny IR of yours! You know you want to...

R:E

helicopter-redeye
2nd Sep 2005, 12:29
If you are ANYWHERE in the control zone make sure you get definate clearance before lifting. I heard somebody being eaten alive by Man Approach a few weeks ago after departing from a pvt site where he could not get radio contact with approach (unfamiliar with electric telephone, obviously..)

verticalhold
3rd Sep 2005, 09:33
Get hold of the boys at Beck Aviation. Haven't got the numbers or anything else immediately available. Good private site with Jet A1 just east of Stretton VRP. Fuel much cheaper than anywhere else in the area. Hotel half a mile away should you need it and good security:ok:

VH

PENNINE BOY
3rd Sep 2005, 23:46
BAE at Woodford , Private site near Oldham 15 mins into the City.
LAT:53:33:11N Lon:1:59:10:W

Good food and grub available!!

PB

EESDL
4th Sep 2005, 20:10
BAE not accepting Joe Public.
Heard from the NEA chaps at EGCC that Man Utd have built a heli-pad at the stadium to help whisk the Glaziers boys off away from the great un-washed.

Know the Beck setup but not close enough to be deemed a city alternative.

FloaterNorthWest
5th Sep 2005, 13:25
I work the Manchester area and no one has heard of Utd building a helipad.

During the Commonwealth Games a helipad was set up on the Quays.

I am surprised that Manchester hasn't got its own 'Battersea' by now considering the money in the city. Come the Chelsea, Arsenal, etc, games all the helicopters come streaming North looking for the nearest site to meet their Bentley.

Maybe a business opportunity going to waste.

FNW

Squadgy
9th Sep 2005, 22:09
Heard from the NEA chaps at EGCC that Man Utd have built a heli-pad at the stadium to help whisk the Glaziers boys off away from the great un-washed.

I'm 99.999999% sure that that isn't the case :)

During the Commonwealth Games a helipad was set up on the Quays.

Again pretty sure it wasn't - rotary traffic was handled by Barton who operated up until midnight on the opening night of the Games to provide support for the TV/ Police helicopters and the Airship.

Barton is about 8mins outside rush hour to the City Centre by car.

EESDL
10th Sep 2005, 09:17
Thanks for that folks, guess I wasn't clear enough.

Am well aware of all the sites that are currently used, having used them many times but am investigating the possibility of using a helipad near the economic centre - a la London/Battersea.
It's now obvious that there isn't one - yes there are some alternatives but they all have some drawback.

Barton is good but it's not a heliport in the centre and has a pathetically slow fuel pump!

Do any of you fellow Northerners on the wrong side of the Pennines:O know if the canal-side areas have been considered in the past. Looking at all the pro-manchester web-sites that highlight the growing importance of the business links blah blah - surprised that a commercial pad is not in the pipeline.

FloaterNorthWest
11th Sep 2005, 10:52
EESDL,

There are lots of open spaces in Manchester suitable for a helipad to be set up but I think most of it is earmarked for development.

During the games a helipad was set up on the Quays but I think it was for a pleasure flight operation. The land used would make an excellent location for Manchesters Battersea.

I have seen an A109 going into the JJB soccerdome next to the Trafford centre. Not sure if it was Mr JJB in his old A109. (Believe he had one for a short period before he got the Bell).

So Barton is the only option.

Now it has new management and new fees they should be pushed to upgrade their facilities. Surely the Glaziers will increase the rotary traffic? The Police unit has a superb pump but you have to put up the banter that goes with it.

FNW

Squadgy
12th Sep 2005, 10:16
Floater - would be interested in knowing where the pleasure flight operation you mentioned operated from. Virtually the whole of Manchester was subject to a TRA during the games, and IIRC the only exemptions were for Police, Ambulance and TV aircraft as well as an advertising airship.

Barton can open early and stay open for rotary traffic up to 2300L, (with PPR), so if you need to attend an early business meeting, or go to an evening football match etc. then that would seem the best solution.

A Bell 222 (I think), did used to land fairly regulary at JJB next to Barton Bridge - not seen it for a while now though.

I have often thought that one of the disused docks adjacent to the Lowry Centre would make an excellent Battersea style heliport - approaches along the Ship Canal, not too much surrounding housing and fast access to the City Centre by Metrolink and to the road network by the M602 - anyone out there want to give me a lot of cash to develop the idea ;)

FloaterNorthWest
12th Sep 2005, 21:40
Squadgy,

I will check my facts. The area you talk off would be great and think that is were the site was during the games.

Only trouble with that site is the estate at the back of it. The new owners of the expense flats on the Quay found out the hard way. Did they not wonder why all came with automatic gates and high fences!

FNW