PDA

View Full Version : Globespan 737 emergency landing Thu am

dontdoit
1st Sep 2005, 12:18
Any news of the flyGlobespan 737 out of Glasgow this morning which diverted into "somewhere in France" following a pressurisation failure and/or emergency descent?

GW76
1st Sep 2005, 13:55
No sign of it on the arrivals board for the inbound flight due back at 1255.
Did someone not say some of GSMs 733's were from the same batch as Helios (ie from DBA)
Not to scare monger of course.

Localiser Green
1st Sep 2005, 14:03
GSM6142 GLA-ALC now showing on Alicante Airport Arrivals due 17:10 (7 hours late).

Wonder if it is the same aircraft continuing from France, or the PAX have been rescued by another a/c...

(Edit: Looks like it went into Bordeaux (BOD), return flight ALC to GLA now showing as cancelled)

GrahamCurry
1st Sep 2005, 15:32
>>No sign of it on the arrivals board for the inbound flight due back at 1255.
Did someone not say some of GSMs 733's were from the same batch as Helios (ie from DBA)
Not to scare monger of course.

That's the sort of information that's useful to analyse when investigating the cause of a 'failure' (or 'concern' we called it rather than a 'problem').
What's changed?
What's new?
Other occurrences - what's common?
etc etc etc . . .

The difficulty when dealing with a complex situation is deciding when you have sufficient information to make a worthwhile analysis (as the very next piece of news might contradict your conclusion).
In medicine, broken legs are easy to diagnose, whereas infarcted extralobar pulmonary sequestration might require an internal look-see.

dogsbreath
1st Sep 2005, 16:07
As I remember from my time at Gill, PPRUNE posters have never let facts get in the way of a good story. The facts are that a crack appeared on the FO's side eyebrow window over the Bay of Biscay, so the crew, diverted to Nantes, purely as a precautionary measure, where the window was replaced and the pax flown homw by another aircraft, sorry that's all there is to it, no drama, sorry to disappoint all you doom merchants., no emergency decent, no problem.

GrahamCurry
1st Sep 2005, 16:25
>>the very next piece of news might contradict your conclusion

>The facts are that a crack appeared on the FO's side eyebrow window

QED!

bigfatsweatysock
1st Sep 2005, 16:30
From the Glasgow Evening Times

MORE than 150 Scots holidaymakers were caught up in a terrifying mid-air scare today.
Their flight to Spain was forced to make an emergency landing in France after a warning light indicated problems with air pressure.
Panic spread as passengers were told to put on oxygen masks.
But the plane landed safely after an anxious 60 minutes.
The flyglobespan flight had left Glasgow Airport at 6am, bound for Alicante. About an hour into the flight, a red warning light started flashing in the cockpit.
Fearing problems with the air pressure, the captain initiated emergency procedures and decided to land at the nearest airport.
The Boeing 737-400 touched down safely in Bordeaux around an hour later.
There, the aircraft was quickly evacuated and shocked passengers were ushered inside the terminal building where they contacted anxious relatives to inform them of the situation.
They were stuck there for several hours until a back-up plane arrived.
They were finally expected in Alicante late this afternoon, having been scheduled to arrive at 10.10am.
A Glasgow man, whose elderly friend was visiting family in Spain and was on board the GSM 6142 flight, said: "He called me this morning after touching down in Bordeaux to say the plane had made an emergency landing.
"I was expecting him to be in Alicante.
"He said that the pilot told them the plane was developing technical problems.
"Everyone was told to fasten their seatbelts, then the masks dropped from the ceiling - I thought 'oh my god'.
"He was okay, a little shaken, and was waiting for a back-up plane to collect them."
A spokesman for flyglobespan said: "This was a standard emergency procedure and the captain reacted correctly.
"If a warning light comes on, the captain has got to react as safety is a priority.
"He made an emergency landing as a precaution.
"The red warning light indicated there was a drop in pressure but there wasn't. It went on by mistake and now we will be investigating to find out why it came on."
He added: "We apologise to all passengers for the situation and we regret that it has caused our passengers unease and disruption."
The aircraft has been taken out of service until a full investigation is carried out.
Flyglobespan, which was founded three years ago, is a subsidiary of the Edinburgh-based Globespan Group.
It flies from Edinburgh, Glasgow and London Stansted to a number of European destinations including Alicante, Rome, Geneva, Malaga and Gran Canaria.

Parcelpup
1st Sep 2005, 20:27
Fairly vicious scare mongering there by GW76.

Conveniently manages not to mention that the aircraft wasn't a Globespan one but a wet-leased 737 from Czech.

So ABSOLUTELY NOTHING here to do with Helios. Stick to the facts and try discussing the incident at hand rather than spread panic.

GW76
1st Sep 2005, 21:50
Calm down. The usual aircraft operated on this route ( which I have travelled many times ) is usually the 733 if you care to check. And further investigations have revealed that these aircraft are indeed the same aircraft from the DBA/Helios batch.
So as this story broke, it was more than reasonable to suspect that the 733 was involved. I, as a regular user, for one, would be particularly concerned had this been the case. Thankfully for all those involved it was a leased in 734 from Travel Service and noone came to any serious harm.
As this is called the "rumours" forum and not the "hard facts" forum, I feel your comments are a little OTT. I particularly dislike the inappropriate use of "viscious".:*

armada
1st Sep 2005, 23:52
"From the Glasgow Evening Times"

Gag! That newspaper article is almost word for word to this one:

http://radans.net/jens/planestory.html

Good grief. :yuk:

broadreach
2nd Sep 2005, 01:42
What an interesting thread. Not from the "separating facts from opinion" viewpoint but just to show how quickly the posting of a rumour heard, without apparent prejudice, can deteriorate into namecalling. I don't think GW intended to scaremonger at all, but in using that word, what a reaction! I'm amazed, again, at the emotional responses and the difficulty we have in seeing through the chaff to the bare bones of an incident.

This one seems so simple and Dogsbreath explains: crack appears in the eyebrow window and a decision is made to get the aircraft down as quickly as possible. It sounds so commonsense. Don't rail against GW for observing the connection to Helios through the "batch" (unfairly, perhaps, as if it were a Monday or Friday Morris Marina). Speculate constructively if you will on how they would notice a crack there without eyes in the top of their heads: would it CRACK! noisily, would it be generally good peripheral vision, could it have been heightened alertness following Helios etc etc.

Apologies for the rant.

Parcelpup
2nd Sep 2005, 23:40
Did someone not say some of GSMs 733's were from the same batch as Helios (ie from DBA) Not to scare monger of course.
No, Broadreach, I'm sure GW76 did mean to do exactly as he said. If he had wanted a calm discussion he wouldn't have posted that comment. By the way, who did say that?

'Further investigations'.... by whom? Are you an investigator now? Have you researched our fleet history personally?

I, as a regular user, for one, would be particularly concerned had this been the case.
Why? An aircraft suffers a technical problem of which you don't know the full history. How then can you judge whether you should be particularly concerned or not? Simply by reading the tabloids perhaps?

Thankfully for all those involved it was a leased in 734 from Travel Service. So thats ok then is it?

Apologies for MY rant. I'd love to know what GW76 does for a living.

GW76
3rd Sep 2005, 11:02
Ill say again that I did not mean to scare monger and wouldnt have said it otherwise. Its comments like yours and maintaining this post which throw ammunition to those who do which to scare monger. Regarding the Travel Service 734, as it is from a completely different airline, aircraft type, serial number batch and year of production, the chances of it having a recurrent identical fault to any of the aircraft mentioned is slim and so would be reassuring to the lay public.
Its of no concern of yours as to what I do for a living, and if theres a suggestion that I'm from the gutter press then you're barking up the wrong tree, a very wrong tree infact.
And for interest I have extensively researched what you describe as "our fleet". Its certainly not difficult.
I think you'll find my post was made prior to any publication in any tabloids, and not made on the back of any information obtained from them.
I have every right to express concern, when I am a regular paying customer. If you are suggesting you have some connection with GSM ( cf "our fleet) then your knee jerk defence, when you are unlikely to know the full details also unless you were the pilot flying, is what often ends in tears.
If I can just highlight the definition of the forum name" Rumour"
A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth- if this is not the type of information youre partial to, and obviously take easy offence to, then perhaps another forum would be more suitable for you.
Ill not be making further comment on this issue, as I think the original concern has be sabotaged.

Parcelpup
4th Sep 2005, 09:59
Think you managed that yourself mate.

Oshkosh George
4th Sep 2005, 11:55
Regarding the Travel Service 734, as it is from a completely different airline, aircraft type, serial number batch and year of production, the chances of it having a recurrent identical fault to any of the aircraft mentioned is slim and so would be reassuring to the lay public.

I think even the next or previous aircraft on the line having the same problem is ALSO very slim. What the hell does that have to do with anything? If one's wrong,they're all wrong!