PDA

View Full Version : Freeserve sending problems

Wing Commander Fowler
1st Sep 2005, 10:27
Hi Chaps - my primary email account is a pay as you go freeserve account or wannadoo as now is. I have a problem sending emails with the old 550 prohibition warning coming up on my bounced mails. I should mention that I am not doing this through freeserve's own server as my access is always from either Ireland or spain. Are there any workarounds on this problem at all?I had heard somewhere that you can route yr mail through an alternative server but am not sure how to go about this since I thought all servers required username and password info.....

All advice gratefully appreciated. :confused:

amanoffewwords
1st Sep 2005, 11:33
wannadoo as now is
...not for long (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4635097.stm)

The solution is to have an SMTP server that allows relaying.

in english: subscribe to a service which allows you to send email irrespective or where you are and which ISP and/or email provider you are using.

If you Google "relaying servers" or similar keywords you will have a plethora of adverts fo such services, none of which I hasten to ad have had my custom - 'cause I manage my own server...

hth
Charles

Buttino
1st Sep 2005, 12:24
Alternatively, route SMTP mail through your local ISP's mail servers....most of them allow IP addresses on their subnet to relay through.

Wing Commander Fowler
1st Sep 2005, 12:25
Thankyou Charles for your most prompt reply. Have just done that and see that they are all companies selling a service. If I am going to pay for it I had thought of getting my own domain and therefore the new email address to go with it....... Although more expensive I should have some fun with the website too. Would this overcome this problem or may I still have it depending upon who hosts my site? Would you have any advice here at all?

Kind regards

Ah Buttino - we crossed there - how can I find out who my local ISP server is if, for example I am using a wireless network hotspot of which there are a number of freebies around? Would I then not need a username and password to connect through them?

Kind regards

IO540
1st Sep 2005, 12:52
Freeserve have a long history of prohibiting people from sending emails in different circumstances.

Years ago, one could not send an email unless the From: header was the FS account name, just that. So no chance of using FS for replying to customer emails from home!

Later, they allowed any From: header for which the MX lookup works, so [email protected] would fail whereas [email protected] would be OK. (even though the 2nd one is an obvious forgery) Most ISPs work like that now.

I don't know what FS do today - haven't used them for years.

They used to run a scheme whereby if one dialled in with CLI disabled, they prevented any email transmission. A crude anti-spammer measure.

Best thing is to use a 3rd party SMTP server which supports "smtp auth" authentication. One normally has to pay for those.

I have one of these at my office, and in principle anybody can set one up at home. The big problem is that most people on ADSL, even those on a fixed IP, are on an IP which was allocated from a *dynamic* IP block by their ISP. ("fixed IP" customers just get the same dynamic IP each time). And dynamic IP blocks are routinely blacklisted by ISPs everywhere! So if one runs this sort of setup, one has to config the smtp server to stuff the outgoing emails into the ISP's smtp server in turn - that one isn't likely to get blacklisted and if it does the ISP has a big incentive to sort it out.

Sorting out my own smtp server has enabled me to send emails (with the correct From: header) from anywhere, including GPRS/3G connections.

WCF

You need to ask your ISP what his smtp server name is; typically it will be like

[email protected] or
[email protected]
etc

and if they support smtp auth. And yes you need a login+pwd to get into it, otherwise any spammer could use it!

Most ISPs don't offer smtp auth, except on "business" accounts and they charge extra for those. However there are 3rd party outfits that can provide just the server.

Then you have extra config to do in Outlook or whatever, to enter this extra login+pwd.

spannersatcx
1st Sep 2005, 15:32
WCF, did you get the package I sent to you?

Wing Commander Fowler
1st Sep 2005, 21:48
Spanners - I did and ajolopise for not letting you know! Unfortunately I can't read it at all!!! Have tried 4 different dvd drives and despite it being on DVD the root of windows sees it as "CD" and shows nothing in the content window...... strange or what? So I sadly remain without BUT really appreciate your kind gesture. :ugh:

maxell
2nd Sep 2005, 04:51
Try burning the DVD without multisession, lots of players will not play a multisession data disc

spannersatcx
2nd Sep 2005, 09:41
Actually, I think it is a problem with my recorder, I will get someone else to do it for me and resend, hopefully in the next week or 2.

Buttino
2nd Sep 2005, 09:57
Don't Freeserve have a webmail service that you could use? Ok, so you can't send through your mail client but you would at least be able to send an email and it would be from your acount.

frostbite
2nd Sep 2005, 12:36
I introduced some friends to Freenetname's mail only ('justmail') service - for £20 pa you get your choice of name free website and unlimited (ie [email protected]) addresses.

edit:
That's not a link - at least, it's not meant to be!

Wing Commander Fowler
2nd Sep 2005, 18:44
Spanners - Thanx again, that would be a BIG help!!! :)

Buttino - yes am using the webmail but since it got hijacked by wannadon't it's a royal pain in the ass!!! It's a real chore as against just clicking reply from yr mail client. Getting lazy in me old age.....

Thanx again all :ok:

Buttino
3rd Sep 2005, 19:20
Want a gmail invite instead? :)

Wing Commander Fowler
4th Sep 2005, 13:33
I'll take anything for free..... except virii hehe! :}