PDA

View Full Version : Pilot "Stood Down"

SoundBarrier
1st Sep 2005, 05:37
Probably roumers and news but I want to rant.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10343540

*rant on*
Why do politicians get the "high and mighty" treatment? The general public are more often than better than politicians and don't disrupt eachothers lives -too much-.

Sure there may have been 4 other passengers arriving after the politician, but he would have been given the 'hold-up she's on her way' anyway.
*rant off*

Poor pilot.

BlueDiamond
1st Sep 2005, 06:11
So ... you're going to complain about the ONE passenger who was late but not about the FOUR who arrived even later? Were they politicians too or members of the general public?

I've had a connecting aircraft held for me too and I will always be grateful to Qantas for that because it meant that I was able to see my father before he died. The eighteen minute delay was easily made up in flight and the aircraft landed on time.

Better hope you're never in that position, mate especially if the decision to hold or not is going to be made by someone who thinks like you.

josephshankes
1st Sep 2005, 06:29
Why don't pilots learn to keep their mouths shut.

I get the impression that some pilots have a god complex and think they are imune to any type of combacks as regards to their comments in public. Let's face it they are only employees and in this case public servants as the pilot reminded all on the PA "national carrier".

On reflection I think the grovel to keep his job, is just as bad as the PA

belowMDA
1st Sep 2005, 08:07
Ok, I don't think all the facts were reported in this article so it is hard for those just reading that article to fully form their opinions.

Helen had already boarded then disembarked in order to go on the charter. Her bags therefore had to be found and offloaded from the hold which almost always will cause a delay. She then reboarded the plane after discovering the plane was going to depart for chch. The bags then had to be put back on the aircraft and this may well have constituted the delay. Either way I suspect the pilot was sick and tired of people who decide they will board the aircraft in their own good time effectively giving the finger to all others in the plane and thinking their needs are greater than all those already on board waiting. More or less an ego trip in my opinion.

I have no doubt that the pilot instantly regreted his remarks, and at the end of the day it was unacceptable for the captain to do this.

BlueD, I think most airlines are open to delays due to compassionate reasons. However I don't think her mission to invercargill to press the flesh for her election campaign really comes close to the situation you found yourself in.

BlueDiamond
1st Sep 2005, 08:50
Point taken, belowMDA.

Mr Chips
1st Sep 2005, 09:40
Hang on... the way I read that article.. the flight was ALREADY delayed, which is why the lady was getting off and making alternative arrangements....

The pilot appears to have made dispraging comments over the PA about a passenger. That is not on...

ZK-NSJ
1st Sep 2005, 09:49
mr chips, you obviously havnt seen our helen.....,
national party leader don brash was also on the flight and he and all the other passengers had a good laugh out of it, shes (i think) way to stuck up and serious, shes trying to tell us how to run our familys get she dosnt have kids, she just recently let a group of police officers carry the can for speeding to get her to the airport (they thought it was urgent, it turned out she was only going to a rugby game) she claimed "she didnt notice that the car was doing speeds averaging 170km including in a 50km zone, the health systems a joke, the education systems a joke, the poor police are a joke, the courts system is a joke, the prison system is a joke, and yet somehow she still gets elected, hopefully that will change for the better

GO WINSTON PETERS AND NEW ZEALAND FIRST!!!!

Maxflyer
1st Sep 2005, 09:51
ZK-NSJ

You sure she's not Tony Bliar in drag?

cavortingcheetah
1st Sep 2005, 09:54
;)

In my never so humble; it is impossible to make disparaging remarks about politicians. They are nothing more than public paid servants and have a duty of care to those who pay their salary, one way or another, to lead by example.
Whichever way you cut the cake, this woman did not.
I fully support the Captain. Public criticism of a public servant goes with that territory. He apologised for any indiscretion on his part. She is manifesting a vindictive nature quite in keeping with the mentality which would indeed have held up two fingers to the great unwashed.
She should be ashamed of herself and apologise in turn for overreacting to what could have so easily been turned into a humourous situation.
:p

Farmer 1
1st Sep 2005, 10:22
I haven't seen your Helen, either, and just to prove my total ignorance on the subject - pardon the pun - I've never even heard of the bloke.

But there can never be any excuse for deliberately humiliating a person in public in such a fashion. There are ways of getting one's point across, and of making the person fully aware of any inconvenience he or she is causing. But if that person is the Prime Minister, then even to do that shows a remarkable lack of tact and diplomatic skills. This was a grin-and-bear-it situation if ever there was one.

Ronnie Honker
1st Sep 2005, 10:23
Take at look at the wo-man the Kiwis call their P.M.
http://media.apn.co.nz/webcontent/image/jpg/ACFGBA85aiwU.JPG
I reckon if I'd been on the flight, I would have delayed it by getting off, if I saw THAT come on board.
Scary stuff!!

Farrell
1st Sep 2005, 10:29
He must have been frieghtened out of his wits - the poor man!

Farmer 1
1st Sep 2005, 10:39
Come on, chaps, you’re not being a credit to the profession here, just because the lady in question does not match your criteria of feminine beauty. If she looked like everyone’s screen idol (feminine), how would she be received, do you think? She would be regarded as a bimbo.

For the record, I rate politicians alongside child molesters, and very close to those people who write Help programmes for computers.

frostbite
1st Sep 2005, 12:12
Isn't that Doris Karloff?

Flypuppy
1st Sep 2005, 16:45
and very close to those people who write Help programmes for computers.

We cant all be winged sky gods Famer 1.

Send Clowns
1st Sep 2005, 17:29
No, Puppy, but we can all do our jobs conscientiously and correctly. If we did our jobs to the standard computer help files are written then people would die rather frequently.

Flypuppy
2nd Sep 2005, 07:05
Clowns,

You really are an objectionable [email protected]

As one of those people who has as part of his job to write help programs for software, I do like to think I do my job correctly and concientiously. Then again maybe you know better, eh?

Send Clowns
2nd Sep 2005, 09:27
Pure abuse, Flypuppy? A new low, even for you.

Perhaps I should say "...usually written...". I have also written help files for computer software. I like to think that I did so in a conscientious, understandable way, and explained in plain English what could be achieved and how when it was not immediately obvious. Have you tried to use a Microsoft help file recently, to select the most commonly used software? They are not like that at all. I now assume that if I don't know how to do something already it will not be covered in the help file, as they only seem to cover straight-forward operation of the program. Even in that they are not well-written. I still look, but with little hope and am rarely enlightened.

I find most software released by large companies is little better. They are terrible, and certainly of very little help.

Flypuppy
2nd Sep 2005, 10:18
A new low, even for you.

I still have a long way to go before I reach your depths (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=183044&perpage=15&pagenumber=25)

Send Clowns
2nd Sep 2005, 10:26
Puppy - well named for the child you are behaving as. Grow up, or leave the adults to discuss with reason.

I made no personal attacks on anyone here. I made a conclusion I still would make given all the evidence at the time. I was arguing against people who were condemning others as guilty without any evidence at all. I stand by defence of those not proved guilty, against the hypocrisy of those I was arguing against.

It has nothing to do with pilots being forced to stand down by politicians.

If you are so petty as to hold the ridiculous grudge you seem to hold against me, then just keep it to yourself. It is not of interest to anyone else here, including me.