PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from BA WT+ to Club??

Cargo_ramp
31st Aug 2005, 21:01
Just booked flight from LGW to MCO rtn in WT+ with BA. I know this is a daft question but if it were possible, and if there were seats...does anyone know roughly what the cost would be to upgrade to Club one way?

Darth Nigel
1st Sep 2005, 00:59
I know this is a daft answer :p but if you go to the BA website and poke around, you can find the cost of the fare (both WT+ and Club) between various points. You might even be able to figure out how much an upgrade would be. No, that's not intended as a snide comment -- read on, MacDuff...

One thing I noticed -- I'm coming home to the UK for a week or so towards the end of September, and flying WT+ BOS-LHR return. In one direction, it would have cost me $1200 to upgrade the one leg to Club World, and almost $3200 t'other way. Seemed to vary by date, day, flight, phase of the moon and whether my computer monitor was pointing due north or not...

But AFAIK you get the wide seats in WT+ and a separate checkin line (at least at BOS) and one way is a night flight. So f:mad: it -- I'll sleep on the cheap, and may even be able to afford some in-flight catering.

MarkD
1st Sep 2005, 01:01
cargo

I just ran LGW-MCO through BA.com for late Sept., WT+ nonflexible and at the Total Flight Price page (749.50GBP) after picking the flight dates it says upgrade one way 340GBP, both ways 680. Second half of the page, left hand side.

Not sure if you can change an existing booking, probably need to ring BA reservations instead.

PAXboy
1st Sep 2005, 01:21
It will also depend upon the booking class of the ticket and that is something that you may no tknow. If you have booked a non-flexible, then the upgrade will probably be more.

Most carriers would want you to upgrade to the flexible fare and THEN to the next cabin. So there are two charges. If you can only afford one upgrade, then taking it on the night sector is best, I reckon.

Wannabe Flyboy
1st Sep 2005, 08:06
Ask at check-in. On many US -> UK routes they will take paid upgrades assuming space and catering (ha ha) is available.

Don't quote me on this but typical prices are around £200 for Y - W and £500 for W - J.

slim_slag
1st Sep 2005, 11:02
Cheapest way is to do it on board, CSD will take your money and they don't know how much you paid for your original ticket.

manintheback
1st Sep 2005, 12:45
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cheapest way is to do it on board, CSD will take your money and they don't know how much you paid for your original ticket.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apart from bribery, its not allowed - even at the gate they cant do it (least not the last time I tried)

Fright Level
1st Sep 2005, 15:10
Apart from bribery, its not allowed - even at the gate they cant do it (least not the last time I tried)

Not true at all. The staff at the gate would have to do a proper fare calculation based on what you paid, type of ticket etc, whereas once on board, BA do have a system where you can pay a set fare per sector to upgrade a class. It doesn't happen on all flights, but I have often called for credit card approval on a flight for this reason.

The original fare paid does not come into the equation, so the cheapest way to get into business class would be to buy the cheapest possible Y ticket then buy the upgrade onboard. Since BA introduced "WT +" then you'd need a two step upgrade and of course BA know that when they introduced the WT+ product to offer a stepping stone in product when the beds were introduced into J class.