PDA

View Full Version : Will a girl's best friends' price drop ?

Bre901
31st Aug 2005, 13:27
New Scientist (http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7926)

31st Aug 2005, 13:38
"If you really loved me, you'd buy me a aggregated carbon nanorod ring"

Somehow, it doesn't sound quite the same.

Ropey Pilot
31st Aug 2005, 14:27
Won't drop by a penny!

It has nothing to do with the quality of the gem - it is the price you were willing to pay for it (and hence spend on her).

A large proportion of women would have no idea if the ring on their finger was a 'cubic zircona' or a diamond and to anyone without a magnifying glass they look identical - but try and give her a thoughtful present because it looks nice (but didn't mean you had to sell your car) and:ouch: :ouch: :ouch:

(Not tried it myself - not that brave/stupid)

PS its the thought that counts - but only if that thought is "I must spend a fortune!"

airship
31st Aug 2005, 14:37
What's the term "normal" diamond mean as used in the report compared to uhmmm, an "abnormal" one? :confused:

BTW, diamonds aren't forever...

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40733000/jpg/_40733592_ngc_203.jpg

The complete BBC report about these 2 galaxies colliding here. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4189278.stm) Astronomers say it gives an insight into what may happen to our own region of space some 5 billion years from now. The Milky Way is expected to merge with the neighbouring Andromeda Galaxy, and swallowing up our Solar System. :uhoh:

Maxflyer
31st Aug 2005, 15:08
Will a girl's best friends' price drop ?

I thought this was going to be about atomic rabbits or suchlike?

Deaf
31st Aug 2005, 15:38
A mate of mine has the elephant stamp for grading diamonds. He will not look at one in a setting, to easy to get caught even CuZ can have (be given) flaws

frostbite
31st Aug 2005, 15:46
"I thought this was going to be about atomic rabbits or suchlike?"

I thought it was going to be something of an, er, much more intimate nature.

answer=42
31st Aug 2005, 15:49
Nyet. The new material produced is a competitor to industrial diamonds, which sell for much less than gemstones (and can already be produced mechanically). Nothing in the article said about the new materials light-reflective qualities (which is what makes a diamond what it is).

The researcher has a truly wonderful name: Natalia Dubrovinskaia.

Flintstone
31st Aug 2005, 17:31
I thought it was going to be something of an, er, much more intimate nature

I think you'd be hard put to find something more intimate than the type of rabbit Maxflyer is referring to.

Onan the Clumsy
31st Aug 2005, 18:48
I got the misses a ring with a gigantic stone the size of a thimble. She had to do a course at the gym just to be able to wear it.

I have to say though that she sused pdq that it cost me $20 from Target, not because of the cut, clarity or colour mind you, just because she knew well enough the level of my financial commitment. (The Home Depot bill is a different kettle of fish though).

Some of her students were fooled by it. Maybe I should have married them instead.