PDA

View Full Version : The Post Office (Counters Ltd)

PeetD
31st Aug 2005, 11:32
Just got back from the Post Office near Blackfriers Bridge (700m away). It's the nearest one now as they shut the one in Wood Street (400m). Looked like a Moscow bread shop in 1975. Queue out of the door at 11am. Don't even think about it at lunchtime. Why do we have to put up with this useless monopoly in 2005? They charge what they can get away with, make you wait for their convenience, and have shops that should be in a museum. Roll on competition.

BTW, don't have a problem with the bloke who delivers the letters. he turns up on time (usually). and most of the stuff coming through the door is for me. How many of my letters do my neighbours get i wonder?

frostbite
31st Aug 2005, 13:10
I would be inclined to do a lot more selling on eBay if it wasn't for the 'fun' of standing in a long queue for ages with an often heavy load of parcels.

PilotsPal
31st Aug 2005, 13:46
I too use the Post Office near Blackfriars and have always found it a nightmare. Since the one on Fleet Street closed, it's the only one in the area. Best time to go seems to be on the way in to work.

jb5000
31st Aug 2005, 14:11
I was at a Post Office in South London once, to get a new E111 stamped. I quickly popped to the front of the queue to see if they had a form handy that I could fill in while I was waiting in the queue.

"Sorry, sir, you'll have to wait your turn..."

Fine, ok.. Have it your way! Queued up for about 25 mins, got to the front and got the form, only to be told that I couldn't fill it in then and there, as they only had one doddery fool on, so I would hold up the line. So I had to fill the form in (all of 30 secs), and then queue up for another 1/2 an hour..... :mad:

+'ve ROC
31st Aug 2005, 14:16
Just had the same thing...

Drove 10mins from my office in my lunch 45mins.

Queued for 15mins

Got to the front and was told that I could not get a passport application form at that particular branch.

Drove back to the office - 10mins.

I now have to quaff my sarnies whilst 'prooning away my last 10 :mad:

Burnt Fishtrousers
31st Aug 2005, 14:25
I preferred the old days when you could do the old 8 queue lottery darting from one to the other , having to second guess what the punter at the hatch was up to ..a little old lady changing 98 in 2p pieces or someone trying to convince the teller their written off 2cars welded together corresponded with the MOT certificate and V5, when trying to purchase some road fund tax

At school we used to do the "post office 8 queue handycap challange", the winner getting a packet of silk cut as the prize

Nick Riviera
31st Aug 2005, 14:30
I am another disgruntled user of the PO at Blackfriars. Have worked out it is pointless going there after 9.30 am at the latest.

PeetD
31st Aug 2005, 14:43
I preferred the old days when you could do the old 8 queue lottery

8 queues?????? when was the last time there were ever more than 4 windows open even at the biggest PO's???? (and only 2 at lunchtime)

PeetD
31st Aug 2005, 15:30
Anyone remember the old Victorian main PO on Saint Martin's le Grand next to Little Britain ? The beautiful old banking hall was enormous and ornate. I was disgusted when they closed it in the name of ' financial gain ' as i'm sure were many. Buildings designed for what they were supposed to do should be doing just that. This bastard country

er...it became Nomura and I used to work there!! (1991-1994)

Onan the Clumsy
31st Aug 2005, 18:56
What is it called? Synchronous vs Asynchronous or something? At least when you had to join one of many paralell queues, you got some kind of sport out of it. I think the single queue, efficient though it might be is a terrible invention. The only joy it brings is figuring out if you can time it right to get the fit bird's counter.

(assuming there is one of course :ugh: )

Ozzy
31st Aug 2005, 19:37
Why don't they just place all the forms out front (or make them downloadable from their website) for folks to pick up and fill in before getting in the queue?:confused:

Ozzy

Solid Rust Twotter
31st Aug 2005, 19:41
Because that would make life easier and we can't be havin' with that noofangled modern trickery.

Witchcraft, witchcraft...!:E

ChrisVJ
31st Aug 2005, 21:34
Can't get your passport forms down loaded from the Internet?

We can, for British passports too, and we live in Canada.

Devlin Carnet
1st Sep 2005, 11:08
Not only can you download them, you can also fill them in and pay on the internet,
They return it to your address to add the photo ect.
:ok:

spekesoftly
1st Sep 2005, 11:23
Same for an E111 (OK, now an EHIC) - also available on line or by 'phone (http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidance/HealthAdviceForTravellers/GettingTreatmentAroundTheWorld/EEAAndSwitzerland/EEAAndSwitzerlandArticle/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4114795&chk=Q14Cn7)

BillHicksRules
1st Sep 2005, 14:40
Dear all,

I guess I am the exception to the rule above in that my trips to the PO are always very professionally handled.

Forms out front, 80%+ counters operational, helpful ( not happy ) staff.

As for the E111, I have found that most POs will let you return to the front of the queue once you have completed it.

Maybe this is just the higher level of professionalism we expect in God's country.

Cheers

BHR

Jordan D
4th Sep 2005, 08:11
PeetD - strangely for the 11 weeks I was in town, I used exactly the same post office as you since they closed Wood Street ... and also they have moved the Moorgate one further away. What I can't understand is that at the Blackfriars Bridge one there are 11 odd counters ... but only 4 or 5 staff working at lunch. Why?

Jordan

terryJones
4th Sep 2005, 11:46
PeetD, how come you have a Post office that OPENS during the magic 13:00-14:00 period. Ours closes ON THE DOT. By the same token, how many other shops/services close on Bank holidays nowadays. It also closes at 12:00 on Saturdays. 'Tis about time they came into the 21st century, or are they afraid that people might start posting things again.
Re selling on Ebay, I always use a courier service for sending stuff out. It costs about the same, or less even, but it is collected from my door, and gets there without fail on the following day. That's more than you can say for Post office parcel service.

tart1
4th Sep 2005, 13:00
It's odd, isn't it, that the post office can't work out that during the period 12 till 2 is when many customers will come in during their lunch breaks and it will be very busy at that time.

So to have fewer windows open because the post office workers have to go on their lunch breaks then too, seems like madness.

Surely no post office staff should go to lunch between 12 and 2 and the maximum number of windows should be open. OK an 11.00 or a 14.00 break is either very early or very late but that's tough. People who get an hour for lunch (or sometimes just half an hour) should not have to wait in a queue for 20 or more of their precious minutes, like they usually have to in my local PO. (They are going to have to extend the building soon - the queue is regularly out of the door.) :mad: :mad: