PDA

View Full Version : SAA's latest TV Advert.

maxrated
31st Aug 2005, 07:46
This is not another SAA slagging post, (some of my best friends know people who fly for SAA), however:

Having been out of the country for a while I am highly disturbbed by the latest SAA tv advert seen this week for the first time, which starts out with two affable gents discussing the quality of their night sleep , next to each other, in bussines class on the aircraft.

All well and good so far, but, within seconds the advert degenerates into a what appears to be schmaltsy gay chat up between the two as they discuss the beautifull sunrise out of the window that they both are watching, then the 'coup de grace' of the entire thing, a badly fumbled hand grope that sort of goes wrong betwen the two of them.

Am I the only person left feeling disturbed by this advert or did I miss the point ?

What exactly are SAA marketing trying to say about their business class passengers ?

:bored: :bored: :bored:

Frogman1484
31st Aug 2005, 10:01
The other guy is Blind!!! not Gay.
He is admiring the African sunset.

:}

longtom
31st Aug 2005, 10:45
:} :} Ha ha, Maxrated, i like your style ! Actually i think the passenger at the window may be blind AND gay ! Waste of a window seat anyway. Unless perhaps SAA is trying to encourage the blind to fly more often so that the hosties can go around stealing the pax belongings unhindered ?

George Tower
31st Aug 2005, 12:33
Yeah I've seen it and its crap!

I mean really:ugh: just what kind of brand are they trying to build. I'm no marketing expert but I don't see that by being the airline of choice for closet homosexuals is the way forward. As for appealing to blind pax.....me thinks it rather a waste of the marketing budget reaching out to them via a TV ad campaign:}

When I was a kid I recall the BA adverts in the UK - The world's favourite airline.....still remember them to this day. Even though they no longer use the line "world's favourite airline" people know it's synonymous with BA as is that music....which they still use I think.

Point I'm trying to make is that SAA is part of the national conscoiusness and as such they must surely want to build the brand more effectively than that:confused:

Oh finally if the idea of an African sunrise is being used to punt SAA, why oh why, are most cabin staff like nazi's when it come to shutting blinds. The reason I book a window seat is that I want to look out of the :mad: window.

Whinge over

Gunship
31st Aug 2005, 16:52
Can only agree - a very bad advert.

Flown with SAA twice in 2 days ... best flight BY FAR I had was with Nationwide to London - professional stewards and hosties - will fly them anyday again !

wheels up
31st Aug 2005, 22:10
Go to agree - a REALLY dumb advert. I didn't get it either until it was pointed out to me the bloke by the window is meant to be blind.

And the message they are trying to convey is what exactly ?

Time for an agency change.

lambert
1st Sep 2005, 19:23
Maybe it takes one to know one?

Gunship
1st Sep 2005, 19:33
Lot of Poefters (some blind) ;)

VS -1500 fpm
2nd Sep 2005, 05:00
I can see that all you guys moning about SAA, so badly want to have the job the SAA pilots have!! Just stop being so jealous!
All the guys in SAA worked hard to get to that position!!(except the cadets got it on a plate)

Not just SAA, any airline is nice to fly for. Its about the life style, not the money! So stop moaning and get your ATP and get into any airline!!

Exhaust Manifold
2nd Sep 2005, 05:05
VS this thread isn't about moaning about SAA, maxrated was just pointing out the silliness of their adverts. No one has said anything bad about SAA except for the fact that they make very daft ads with no point. See my point?! :ok:

VS -1500 fpm
2nd Sep 2005, 05:15
All one ever hear's about SAA in this forem is bad. Has any one got anything good to say about SAA. Good training?? New aircraft?? Good maintenance??

And the add wasn't that bad! Its a blind black American flying to SA on SAA and talking about the beautiful African sun rise. (SAA an African airline)

Exhaust Manifold
2nd Sep 2005, 06:45
Still sounds like a kak ad :E not saying anything bad about SAA's training, a/c, etc. Just a kak ad.

glimmerman_alpha
2nd Sep 2005, 07:14
Hey VS, do you want some cheese with that w(h)ine?:}

Wait wait, let me get my violin in the car:ok:

Its about the ad, not the airline as a whole.This is a rumours network and if the majority dont like SAA - let it be.

Its still a KAK ad though!!!:E

Latent Heat
2nd Sep 2005, 07:55
Stevie Wonder by any chance???? Glimmerman, you had better hang on to that Violin....

propspanner
2nd Sep 2005, 08:46
:mad: :mad: ISH!

Its the new S.A. :yuk:

All shapes:} Sizes:8 lingo:suspect:

Give the pillow biters a gap:ouch:

But not on the :mad: TV. My kid asked me "what are they up 2?"

They are just Flying SA Airways!;)

Why do they not take tha SA EXPRESS Train, will have much more time for each other :ok:

More pillows there!

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Sep 2005, 09:29
VS

If you want the real lowdown on SAA we can always talk about management misbehaviour and wastefulness at taxpayer's expense.:rolleyes:

Where do you get the idea that those criticising the ad are not ATPL holders? Are you under the impression that holding an ATPL is the sole requirement for employment as a pilot by an airline? You really need to get out more..... :}

nugpot
2nd Sep 2005, 12:57
propspanner

I see you discovered the emoticons ;)

itaxi
2nd Sep 2005, 20:41
One ad won't save them .....LOL

Who cares anyway. N/American saffers all are now flying via Europe...why ?
SAA's stop in Sol
SAA's crappy space in the Airbus -600 (audiobox at your feet)
Saa's decision not to fly into Cape Town

whatever floats their boat..........

Stayinalive
3rd Sep 2005, 04:55
Yeah right SAA.........
Think they must be Height Challenged people...vertically challenged....people that have a height disability. Ok Dammit....Dwarfes then!!
Only they will enjoy a sunrise over Africa after doing London - Jhb in the back of a 340. Everyone else is painfully aware that the last hour is their final torture...after 12 hrs of body contorting hell.
What about the other way...into mucky London...dont think the oke next to the window is going to be so bright on his return trip!!:p

Forgot to add...JAL can paint their flag on the window shades...they will always have a rising sun regardless of where they are...Africa or not..

BAKELA
3rd Sep 2005, 20:03
emoticons...Yeah right SAA.........Emoticons are used in e-mail and other forms of communication...like SAA TV ads I suppose...have not seen it...don't want to...puking already after reading this thread... :yuk:

Obviously SAX includes the newest computer technology of high tech terms, including abbreviations and acronyms in their upgrade training programme... :ooh:

WTFWT? Don't ask me...ask the boffins at SAA and SAX! FFS!

I've been known as an SAA slagger/basher etc on this forum for some time, but, all I can say, the rooster...she's come home to roast!

"VS -1500 fpm" - Suppose that's a descend (being pro SAA) and not a climb - or does that refer to Video Speed - 1500 frames (fu:mad: ps) per minute SAA is wasting on their ad? Or even better, go SRT, Very Sorry - 1500 fools per month paying for SAA's ad...and for thier ongoing operation?

A qoute from 'Travel Bizz' The cherry on the top, as far as I was concerned was when the Classic Business host, Lindsay Williams, quoted SAA CEO Khaya Ngqula, at a “damage control” press conference, after being told that SAA had just been fined a whopping R45 million for using bully-boy tactics against smaller South African airlines, as replying, in public, “That’s just small change!” Anyway...back to smoking my wine corks...I feel better now. :E

VS -1500 fpm
5th Sep 2005, 06:12
BAKELA

B- Brain dead, A-Aviator, K-Kite, E-Ejaculates, L-Landing, A-After.

Lets use these lovely words,

Brain dead Kite Aviator ejaculates After Landing.

:E :E :E :ouch:

4HolerPoler
5th Sep 2005, 08:04
This thread is going downhill fast - please get it back on track.

4HP

Balmy
5th Sep 2005, 10:46
Thats not going downhill....that allready crashed and burned???

nugpot
6th Sep 2005, 20:12
Obviously SAX includes the newest computer technology of high tech terms, including abbreviations and acronyms in their upgrade training programme

How did you know I was upgrading C.? You that well informed? ;)

fluffyfan
6th Sep 2005, 20:41
A Truly Crap Ad........what’s it supposed to do? make us all tearful and emotional about Africa and run out and buy a ticket......The only emotion I feel while flying over Africa is the lump in my throat I get whilst flying over Zimbabwe and looking down at a once beautiful country

That Ad does not even touch Kulula or One Time's excellent Advertising....and they are supposed to be low cost Airlines maybe SAA should find out who does the Kulula ads or the Nandos ads and just go with them...........