PDA

View Full Version : Vsc

Cougar
31st Aug 2005, 01:39
G'day all,
I will be staying at the Victory Services Club, Marble Arch soon for a period. Can a local please advise best way to get there from Heathrow? Any personal experience: good/bad of VSC?
Cheers.

BEagle
31st Aug 2005, 06:04
See http://www.vsc.co.uk/visitors_london.php

From Thiefrow Airport, take the rail link to Paddington, then the London Underground (Circle or District Line to Notting Hill Gate, then Central Line to Marble Arch); Marble Arch is very close to the VSC.

Alternatively you can take the London Underground from Heathrow (Piccadilly Line to Earls Court, then District Line to Notting Hill Gate, then Central Line to Marble Arch).

Or just get a taxi from Paddington? Don't be tempted to take one from Heathrow to the VSC as they're pretty expensive!

You can download the London Underground map from http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colourmap.pdf

Have a great visit!

C130 Techie
31st Aug 2005, 06:57
I stay at the Vsc quite often and have always found it excellent value.

You do need to be careful however on your room selection, the basic ones are very basic and if you get a room on the front of the building it is VERY noisy with the traffic and city life along the Edgeware Road.

It is very well placed for restaurants (lebanese, indian , turkish etc) and there is a J D Wetherspoons just across the road (Cheap food and beer if you are on a budget).

Its right on the entrance to Hyde Park as well.

One critisism is that they can be a little anal about meal times, no flexibility whatsoever. Queueing for breakfast from 07.25 in a hurry to get to Lords Cricket Ground and having a staring competition with the chef through the glass until exactly 07.30 was a little frustrating. Oh yes and if you are in a hurry get in before the hordes of American tourists or you'll be there all day.

If you have to go to Paddington then you may as well walk from there rather than get the tube to Marble Arch. It only takes 15 Mins down the Edgeware Road.

bowly
31st Aug 2005, 08:14
Underground from Terminal 4 at H'row is u/s. Have to go from terminal 1,2 or 3. Beware.......

The rail link takes 15 mins from a'port to Paddington. The underground takes about an hour to the centre of town.

Have fun in sunny London. We are in a heat-wave at the moment and the ladies are looking particularly grand!!!!!

5 Forward 6 Back
31st Aug 2005, 09:26
Can confirm what's been said about the basic rooms being basic; but if you're off out on the p**s in London, it's ideal. I paid something like £10 for a room which was a bed, a sink, and room for the door to open. I think I might have had a cupboard but that's your lot! :ok:

MrBernoulli
31st Aug 2005, 14:18
Further to what bowly had to say:

Correct, the underground does not go all the way to T4 at the moment (due to work being done on the links for the new T5) but I think you can get off at Hatton Cross and take a very short bus ride from there to T4. Check with the ticket office. I think it may be easier to do this than getting off at T/1/2/3 and trying to get to T4 from there.