PDA

View Full Version : A&P or Pilot

cadman151
8th Jan 2001, 18:42
I?m currently trying to decide on whether to become a Helicopter Pilot or an A&P Mechanic. I?ve done a lot of research into both fields for schools, costs, etc. to get started in each of them, but I would like to get real world info. from people in each field. What locations (Florida, California, etc.) are best for helicopter flight training? What schools are good and what kind of things should I look for in a school (Helicopter Pilot and A&P)? Would getting an associates degree be a major thing to have or would it just be a slight plus for receiving a job (Helicopter Pilot and A&P)? I have read in some places that helicopter pilots are in demand and that after about 1 to 1-1/2 years as a CFI you are able to move on to better jobs. In other places I?ve read that it is almost imposable to get a job as a CFI, much less be able to move on. I know that A&P?s are in high demand, but most jobs I see require 3 years experience. How tough is it to get started, what?s the current job market actually like and what?s the future expected to be (Helicopter Pilot and A&P)? What should I expect to make starting out in each field? The pay doesn?t really matter much I just need to live. I currently am working as a drafter and hate my job because I am locked in a room with on windows all day. I love to work on cars, lawn mowers, and other mechanical things. I have been up in helicopters for work and loved every minute of it. If anyone feels like it I would like to know what path your career took (how you got started and so forth) just post it here or e-mail me. If anyone has any other info. that may be helpful please post it. I know there are others like myself that like to here what the more experienced have to say.
Sorry for the length thanks,
Kenneth

fishboy
8th Jan 2001, 19:40
You didn't say how old you are, but I would suggest; if you can afford it, going for the A&P. It's much more difficult to get that qualification and if you still want to fly helicopters afterwards, you will find lots of employers who want both pilot and A&P. If you go the pilot route first, you will probably find that you can't afford to take time out for A&P training.
Hope that helps.

Randy_g
9th Jan 2001, 14:57
Cadman the one thing you didn't mention, is which one do you want to do ?? You should do the one that you would feel happiest doing. If you want to do both, then I would recommend getting your A&P first. Getting work as an aviation mechanic is far easier than as a pilot.

Once you've worked for a couple of years, you can always get your pilots licence. Then you become a lot more hireable. If the flying slows down, then you can fall back on fixing the machines.

If you are close to a helicopter operator, take some time, and go talk to the pilots and engineers. Talk to them and find out if it is what you want to do. Both occupations can spend extended periods of time away from home, sometimes in primitive conditions, and working long hours. Both jobs are highly rewarding, and you can see, and go to some very interesting places.

Good luck

Cheers

Randy_G

If you can't stand the heat...

turn up the air conditioner !! :)

cadman151
12th Jan 2001, 02:35
Could anyone refer good flight schools? By the way I'm 24.