PDA

View Full Version : BA Salary

ryr737
30th Aug 2005, 21:29
As I´m going for my BA interview soon - I would like to know more about the lifestyle and salary for a new BA pilot. Can anyone help me out?

FlyingTom
31st Aug 2005, 09:01
Pay is good, pension terrible. Expect £15K on top of PPJN basic after allowances. Gatwick is stress free, I doubt that Heathrow can say the same. Five nights away per month, limited destinations Gatwick, lots Heathrow (shorthaul).

Pleasant crew but don't expect a party atmosphere. Work levels are probably at or above EasyJet and close to Ryanair.

If you're below 30 go for it. Over 30 there are pro's and con's to consider due seniority.

You Gimboid
31st Aug 2005, 16:18
Work levels are probably at or above EasyJet and close to Ryanair

BS on two counts. For one, EZY work harder than Ryanair. Two, LOTS of EZY and FR pilots are stampeding towards BA for a bit less starting money but far fewer hours. If your hours are 2000+ with 1000+ 737/A320 or equivalent you qualify for longhaul DEP (B777) which is like a holiday compared to the loco's.

Longhaul with low seniority gives you 4-6 trips per month, mostly 2-3 day Atlantics or Middle East with a bit of India thrown in. On line training you'll generally get a Caribbean trip and/or a hot'n'high (Africa) just to wet your appetite! You should get about 15 days off a month. Expect 10-15k net in allowances p.a.

Starting pay good (42k). Pensionable pay (about 33k) is worse than previous BA contracts but still way better than EZY or RYR.

If you can stand the RH seat for the next 8-18 years then its a no-brainer! Speaking as an over-30 I can say there is no question I made the right move.

Autobrake Low
1st Sep 2005, 18:27
Any info on yearly increment to pay for longhaul drivers?
Also as all the other threads suggest -new joiners on 777 are likely to see east coast U.S. and middle east - are these minimum rest 1 nighters?

ratarsedagain
1st Sep 2005, 19:31
Yearly incs are approx £2300 pa.
Most east coast trips are 24hrs off, but a few have 48hrs.
The ME trips with a shuttle are 4 day trips.
Go on, give it a go.................

Blue system
1st Sep 2005, 19:39
What kind of roster/lifestyle can one expect with BA shorthaul?

Regards,

Blue sys.

prob30
2nd Sep 2005, 02:17
it could be because it is 0300 but I can't find anywhere on the ba site that allows me to apply. Or, given this initial failure should I not bother?!

Have they reduced the hours for the 777 fleet from 3000 to 2000 hours? im hearing mixed reports.

Is BA 777 fleet really "like a holiday compared to the loco's."
Can anyone who is ex EZY expand on this?

Rick Binson
2nd Sep 2005, 07:05
Anybody who is ex easyJet in BA is probably still in their "honeymoon" period so an asnwer might not be as valid as it first seems!

Stan Woolley
2nd Sep 2005, 07:28
You Gimboid

BS on one count.

As Ryanair pilots all fly 900 hours a year, please could you explain how Easyjet work harder?

Ryanair rosters are hugely better than Easyjet but I'm sure BA is good in this department.

ETOPS
2nd Sep 2005, 08:05
prob30

Yes, finding the application form is part of the test.

Anyway we are so desperate we will take anybody so here's a free go.......

BA Careers (http://www.britishairwaysjobs.com/baweb1/?newms=info10)

Autobrake Low
2nd Sep 2005, 13:36
Anyone (ETOPS) have an idea how long BA will be doing courses for 777? Is it for some time yet? Seems like the recruiting has been going on for some time now.

prob30
2nd Sep 2005, 13:46
ETOPS,
Thanks for that! I owe you a beer already.

To all Long haul with family men!!
Im seriously thinking about long haul but I am concerned about disruption to family life with young kids and me being away. How do you find it? 15 days off a month is certainly more than i Get now and we can live anywhere - it certainly seems the way to go. Thoughts on a postcard...

FlyingTom
2nd Sep 2005, 14:31
You Gimboid.

Oh OK from "How Hard Do You Work?", Easy ~ 95 block, BA ~ 78 block, Ryan ~ 1000 block per month! But 737 BA sectors average 1.5 hours, whereas most loco sectors are 2.0. So in effect it feels like you are dong more with BA, a plane change re-enforces this feeling.

My pension prediction is £9K per year if I don't pay in anything extra. Bit of a shock retiring from £120K. So of course I'm having to pay max AVC's, which is a £7K pay cut in effect, so therefore you could say that pay is average and pension is average.

The trouble is that BA claims to be a World leading airline. I don't think anyone can honestly say that the new BA pension will lead to a comfortable retirement. Where BA's terms and cond's lead every other airline's follow.

All new joiners at BA should get a pension prediction if they haven't already, I got quite a shock.

PRNAV1
2nd Sep 2005, 15:18
i'm also headin for the assessment soon.

problem is i want 777 but i'm boarder line 1600hrs but nearly all wide body jet....would i be considerd for 777??

thanx:ok:

You Gimboid
3rd Sep 2005, 13:37
Easy ~ 95 block, BA ~ 78 block, Ryan ~ 1000 block per month!

Don't want to nitpick, but.....;)

My thinking regarding EZY working harder than FR is not flying hours but duty hours. Compare 900 hours with a stable, fixed pattern roster to 900 hours with a constantly changing one with min rest, multiple positioning sectors and taxi rides, moving goalposts and no flexibility. You might still be doing the same flying hours, but you are doing far more duty hours in EZY. That is called having to work harder.

If you're thinking purely in flying hours terms then you have got the wrong end of the stick altogether. In the cutthroat world of lo-cost, it's the meaningless, unnecessary work you do around flying duties that is the major contributing factor to fatigue.

So far, I've found BA to be vastly superior with regard to this issue.

Sir Richard
3rd Sep 2005, 14:40
ETOPS

If only that was true......Over the Hill by 49 :{

prob30
5th Sep 2005, 06:44
I can't seem to find BA listed on ppjn.com. Seems strange.... can someone point me in the right direction with a link or tell me the pay and benefits structure in more detail.
Thanks again!

Blue system
5th Sep 2005, 06:58
Hi.

Look at all fact files under Europe and you will find most of the carriers.

Blue sys.....

ETOPS
5th Sep 2005, 07:24
can someone point me in the right direction with a link or tell me the pay and benefits structure in more detail.

Join BALPA - all the info available there............

prob30
5th Sep 2005, 08:10
ETOPS, have been a memeber since the day after my IR! Will try them thanks.

Lost For Words
6th Sep 2005, 18:25
Prob 30

You sound worried by the prospect of 15 days away a month...

Remember that many of your intial B777 trips will be '3 days'. What that really means is: Day 1 report early afternoon(ish). Day 2 Away. Day 3 Land back at LHR fairly early in the morning. You might need a couple of hours sleep but the rest of the day is yours.

So a 3-day trip is actually about 48hrs away from base. One night in a nice hotel and another in the flight deck where you are 'encouraged to rest'. In practice you'll each get about an hour of shut-eye if things are quiet.

I don't have kids (yet) but I think it would be a great lifestyle as a dad.

Come on in, the water's lovely.

LFW

Hot Wings
6th Sep 2005, 18:48
On the 744 there are lots of high credit 3 day trips - with 3 crew - so its easy to get 17-18 days off every month.

prob30
7th Sep 2005, 15:33
lost for words

not worried about 15 days away at all! I only get 12 off in every 32 days at the moment so that is an improvement. I would be commuting from a country as yet undecided by my wife so it all looks almost too good to be true.

No more 25 min turna arounds and spotty dispatchers 4 times a day!

Just need to pass that interview.!

Cheers for the info

lost for words - check pm\'s....

Dozza2k
7th Sep 2005, 17:51
slightly off thread perhaps, but does anyone know the annual increment for the BA SSP's? and by how much it jumps after the 5 years on the reduced scale is up?

thank you

D2K:ok:

GS-Alpha
8th Sep 2005, 08:48
TEP (SSP) versus DEP basic salary:

TEP PP1 = 64% DEP PP1
TEP PP2 = 73% DEP PP2
TEP PP3 = 82% DEP PP3
TEP PP4 = 91% DEP PP4
TEP PP5 = 100% DEP PP5

All in all, over the first four years as a TEP, you will earn about 38k less than a standard short haul DEP.

You will end up in short haul or medium haul (on short haul basic). However if you transfer to Long haul (or medium haul from short haul) at any point in the first 5 years, you will go onto the appropriate percentage of the longhaul (or medium haul) pay scales. In other words, you will start on short haul pay, but if you transfer any time in the first five years, you go onto the appropriate fleet's payscale (factored for the TEP percentages).

ryr737
8th Sep 2005, 12:17
If flying long-haul, how many days off will you normally get in a row. Would it be possible to commute from another country?

GS-Alpha
8th Sep 2005, 16:04
When you start, you will more than likely be on blind lines most of the time. On the 777 this will pretty much mean you get MBTR (Min base turn around) between trips, which is 2 days for most trips. On the 747 you will get a minimum 2 days off, but because the trips are a bit longer, you can normally get three days off between trips, and sometimes 4, 5 or even 6 days.

You also need to remember that some of your trips will be late reports and early arrivals. Inbetween such trips, it would be easy to commute within Europe, even if you only had two days off.

FILTH
10th Sep 2005, 13:11
ryr737,

I'm ex-EZY, am now BA and have flown LGW 737 since 2001. OK, I left EZY in 97 so it's probably changed, but BA is much easier (no pun intended).

As for the 777, people seem to be getting off it ASAP in favour of the 400 so moves to the 777 from SH seem quite quick. 2-3 years.

Loads of people commute on LH. Lots do it on SH too but that seems a bit of a nightmare to me.

Noone seems to know what the retirement age change in 2006 will do to commands and fleet moves though.

Hope this helps.