PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain!!!

Miss World
30th Aug 2005, 15:22
Ive just bought a laptop to use while im away with work (Toshiba Satellite M30), just waiting for it to be delivered and just wondering something about the spec. It says - No Bluetooth and - No Wireless Lan. I dont really understand what this wireless internet is all about. So could someone explain to someone that doesnt know much about computers.

Ive been told I can go to PC world or somewhere and get wireless installed, is that right? also any idea of cost?

Thank-you!!

ExGrunt
30th Aug 2005, 15:54
Back in the past mobile computing meant lugging around a big bag of cables to connect things together. To save all the hassle and weight, several wireless systems were designed:

Bluetooth:

This is a short range system designed to connect bits of electrical/computer gear together. eg PC to laptop, laptop to mobile phone, mobile phone to headset etc etc. In 'theory' you bring the two pieces of equipment together tell each one about the other and they start working together. What they can do depends on each piece of equipment.

WLAN same as WiFi same as 802.11 plus letter:

(Huge simplification): If you talk to someone you communicate by making noises. What the noises mean is a language eg English/French. In computer networking 'ethernet' is the equivalent of the noise and TCP/IP is the language. WiFi is a type of ethernet.

Dotted all over the place are WiFi access points. If your laptop has a WiFi adapter you can connect to these access points and surf the net / send email pretty much as you do at home.

As a diva of the cart sent here, there and everywhere, I suspect the latter is of more use to you.

Hope this helps

EG

SyllogismCheck
30th Aug 2005, 17:40
In real laymans terms. ie. mine, and much as ExGrunt said but even simpler and the only things I've found useful....

Bluetooth: Means you can get all those photos off your phone and onto your computer without the need for a lead. Likewise put MP3s on your phone from your compuer without a lead.
And, at a pinch, connect your computer to the internet through your mobile, again without a lead... at great expense mind you, £3 a megabyte might sound reasonable enough... I assure you, a megabyte is nothing, you can use an awful lot of them before you get the first bill since you started messing with the possibilities and learn your lesson. :ouch:

Wireless LAN: Means you dont need a wire from your computer to the phone line/modem. Lets you sit in the garden drinking beer while wasting hours on the internet.... two birds, one stone. A sure fire winner. Also allows you to sit in Starbucks, airport depatrure lounges, outside offices and houses etc with unsecure networks and get on the net. A bit like plugging into their connection by radio. Very handy... but again a good way to lose hours when you should be doing more important things, or work. :suspect:

Wireless installation is simply a matter of buying a card for the laptop. £35 or so. That'll let your laptop 'see' and connect to wireless networks when your in range of one that's publically accessible.
If you want to use it at home you'd need the other end of the setup to plug into the phone line/modem to 'talk' to the card in your laptop. Like the second one of a pair of walkie-talkies. Numerous ways of doing this end of the setup depending on how you connect to the internet at home currently. Starting from £60 upwards.

Oh yes, I should have said, by 'install' we're talking about plugging the card into the hole in the side of the laptop, no screws, no skills. XP should do the rest software wise. Those people you mentioned would most likely try and charge you for this 'installation'. :*
Mind you, to them it may be some major technological undertaking. :rolleyes:

Awaits slap for Barbiesque explanation. ;)

willby
30th Aug 2005, 17:51
Excellent explanation for the uninitiated and exactly what MW was looking for I suspect.

SyllogismCheck
30th Aug 2005, 18:48
There's a great unintentional joke in there somewhere willby.... probably at my expense. :D

willby
30th Aug 2005, 19:26
Hi Syllo,
On re-reading my earlier reply I can see where my contribution might be misinterpreted but no fun intended. I had tried to reply to MW myself but failed to compose an easily understood explanation so I deleted it. When I read yours I thought it was excellent.
Regards
Willby

SyllogismCheck
30th Aug 2005, 19:42
Sorry, a misunderstanding, my turn for inadequate explanations it seems.

The joke that struck me generated by your words would only have meaning to she and I, perhaps not even to her, but I expect so. Something of a private joke really.
It just saw it and I couldn't help but comment... damn sense of humour, maybe I can have it removed. :ugh:

Absolutely no offence taken, many smiles caused. :ok: