PDA

View Full Version : Quit Smoking, yeah... but how?

GearDown&Locked
30th Aug 2005, 11:49
It is time to all of you anti-smoking people to help the community quit the smoking habit. If you know how we the smokerís gang can quit smoking, please tell us how.

Itís your golden chance to be useful to all mankind, and Iím sure St. Peter will take your good deeds into account .

So, if you know a good way to help someone quit smoking, a real good one, please help us out here. Tell us how did you managed to quit. Was it hard, what we should know and do, et ceatera.

Donít even bother to go through all that rhetoric ďjust quitĒ BS. We need good examples, feasible ones. The smoking gang will thank you immensely Iím sure.

GD&L

flynverted
30th Aug 2005, 12:03
I've talked to several people who have claimed that hypnosis/acupuncture/quitting cold turkey/patches/whatever/ worked for them. But what it really boils down to is, how bad do you want to quit? If you don't have the desire to quit, then nothing will help you quit. If you truely want to quit, then decide what best would help you quit. Most people choose the patches.

I have a mate back in the states who quit cold turkey a few mionths ago. This is what he told me that helped him to quit:

Just tap the brakes every now and then my friend ....

to be sure that you are the one running the show .....

When you determine that you are not ....

ask yourself how you like slavery ....

Good luck.
:ok:

Echo Zulu Yankee
30th Aug 2005, 12:04
I had a friend who tried everything to quit over about a 2 year period and he just couldn't do it.

In the end the solution came from around a table in a pub with a group of, suitably refreshed, gentlemen. The said smoker was lighting a Fag and burst out with "Oh I wish I could just quit!"

A very refreshed member of the group suggested that instead of having a ciggy whenever he got the craving, he should nip off to the lav and have a quick...session of self gratification.

He gave it a go and within 2 months he had quit smoking, 4 years later and he hasn't had a ciggy since that night!

Not suggesting that its for everyone but what works for one could work for another!

EzY

Beagle-eye
30th Aug 2005, 12:11
Guy I used to work with used acupuncture. He had a session and they (apparently) left a small piece of needle in his ear. All he had to do was massage his ear when he had a craving. The first three days he dismissed it as a waste of money. After that, however, it really started to work and his cravings disappeared. He has not smoked since.

doubleu-anker
30th Aug 2005, 12:23
Yes, you must want to stop. When you have decided to stop, pick a night go down to the pub and smoke as many as you can. The next morning you should feel really sick. Then go to a hospital and ask to see a lung cancer operation. If they won't let you, ask to see the chunks of removed lung. If that doesn't put you off smoking I really don't know what will?

Alternatively you can keep on smoking. When you are diagnosed with lung cancer or any other disease associated with smoking and the doctors tell you they won't treat you until you quit. Quit you will for sure but a bit too late, don't you think.

High Wing Drifter
30th Aug 2005, 12:28
Well I found quitting relatively easy. I was desperate to have a car to match my new license. I couldn't afford both so the fags got the heave-ho. Everyday I would drive my car and think how great it was. Then one day, two weeks later I stopped thinking about ciggies too. Bit of a bonus.

Bewarned, eighteen months later, out of the blue for no apparent reason, the cravings were back. I guess Austin Princesses just don't have lasting appeal :\

GETA
30th Aug 2005, 12:39
You could try to quit gradually, go from a pack a day to 10 ciggies a day for a month, 5, until the cravings have diminished. By the time you're down to 2 a day it's much easier to end it.

Ontariotech
30th Aug 2005, 12:42
Smoked for 15 years, wanted to become a police officer, took Zyban (dunno if they have it in the UK).

Stopped for 5 years now, never wanted another.

The SSK
30th Aug 2005, 12:53
I stopped six and a half years ago (25 a day) with the help of patches, although I had to give up on them after about 10 days with some scary skin reactions.

Apart from that, I relied a lot on what you might call self-image. I convinced myself beforehand that smoking wasnít just stupid, it looked stupid. Take the time to look at the puffers huddled around building entrances, or who light up within 30 seconds of walking out of the supermarket, and tell yourself how pathetic they look. Or the people who canít manage without a cigarette between the courses of a meal.

After two or three weeks, youíll notice something else Ė how much smokers stink, not when they are smoking, but in the bus, or the shop. It really comes as a shock to realise you used to smell like that.

Don't [email protected] around with cutting down gradually, or 'waiting for the right moment'. Try a diet change to go with it - become a fruit junkie maybe. In any case you may need to do something about weight control.

RiskyRossco
30th Aug 2005, 13:08
flynverted has it in one.

How badly do you want out? The secret, in most cases ( I simply went cold turkey, 2 days later the sight and smell of an ashtray made me gag) is to replace the old habit with a good one .
Sure, self-gratification is a bit . . . extreme, presenting some interesting social dilemmas. Since it's a generally oral fixation then s/thing of an oral replacement works for some. Gum is the easiest - and cheapest. Even chewing on a toothpick.
Mostly, changing the 'ritual' of cigs, like stopping the coffee or drink that accompanies, also goes a long way to reducing the craving. In the end, what you're doing is allowing the body to purge the chemical saturation that cigs have caused. Normally, 3-4 months for the body to return to pre-smoking chemical-free system.

Hope it helps. Good luck! :ok:

Oh yeah, what desk jockey says. Your sense of taste means 1) you appreciate food but 2) avoid eating more, smokers normally gain 6-12 lbs.

UniFoxOs
30th Aug 2005, 13:10
I stopped about 15 years ago, using some tablets called, IIRC, Nicobrevin. They seemed to give me the feeling that I had just had a fag about 10 minutes before and wouldn't be ready for one for a little while yet. They cost a bit - about the equivalent of a fortnight's fags for a month's course, but I ended up with half left as I didn't need them after two weeks. I still fancy one occasionally, but have always managed to conquer the desire.

Best of luck,
UFO

Antoninus
30th Aug 2005, 13:32
Yes, you must want to stop. When you have decided to stop, pick a night go down to the pub and smoke as many as you can. The next morning you should feel really sick. Then go to a hospital and ask to see a lung cancer operation. If they won't let you, ask to see the chunks of removed lung. If that doesn't put you off smoking I really don't know what will?

What is f:mad: g wrong with you?
Why do you hate people like that? Is it because you hate your own life?
There are people here who ask for methods to quit smoking. I do not think they want to hear about your wishes to see them "really sick" or "see the chunks of removed lung".
It's not about f:mad: g redemption it's about quitting smoking!
Your way of thinking is definitely far more repulsive than a cancer. It reminds me of a couple of mollahs seen recently on TV.
Come to think of it, I think you are a cancer.
I suggest a psychotheray. Seriously. You really are a sick person.
As for "you must want to stop"...
Actually I hadn't realized that . You actually must WANT to stop?
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo? really?
Get outta here, you're useless.
Now for help: My dad quit cold turkey. He smoked two packs a day and a couple of pipes. One day he had an argument with my mother who told him he had no will power. So he quit smoking just to show her about will power.
Incidentally he died of Alzheimer's disease at age 57..
A warning about cold turkey: it may cause mild heart problems.
My best friend is onto patches and nicotine chewing gum after two packs a day for the last twenty years. Seems to be working.. He is getting fat though.
Lollipops are a good substitute too if you don't mind sucking on those things in public.
If you have the time and the money: go to a place where the nearest tobacco vendor is a hundred miles away and stay there a week. I know of several people who did it going to Wyoming on a dude ranch in the middle of nowhere. Maybe they didn't stop but it was at least a break, and the demonstration that one can actually survive a week without tobacco. It is a start.
BTW: Hitler was a vegetarian and couldn't stand smokers..
And if you don't want to quit well.. Don't.
Just try not to blow your smoke in my face.. :D

Brit312
30th Aug 2005, 13:59
The way I stopped was to cut down to 10 a day then 5 a day over many months. Then one day decided to stop all together,but deliberately told no one so people did not keep asking

Two years on I still have not returned to the old habit, but that does not mean I have not had the odd yearings for the nicotine, which do get easier to overcome. Now fighting the weight problem, but there what would life be without a challenge.

Mind you if you do manage to stop never call yourself a non smoker but rather someone who has stopped. I say this as about 25 years ago I gave up smoking for 11 years and then had one and was back on the habit within the month

Anyway only do it when you want to not when others tell you

Best of luck

Kalium Chloride
30th Aug 2005, 14:21
How to stop smoking in three steps:

1) Have a sudden and unexpected pain in your chest that starts you sweating.

2) On seeing a doctor about said pains, have him tell you in a stern voice that you're on the verge of a heart attack unless you give up.

3) Upon receiving said advice, stop putting cigarettes in your mouth and lighting them.

Worked for my dad.

TheFlyingSquirrel
30th Aug 2005, 14:36
Took many, many, and many more attempts at giving up. It is EXTREMELY addictive and anyone giving or attempting to give up should be applauded. I NEVER EVER EVER think of smoking now and have turned into that monsterous being, the hateful and revengeful ex-smoker. I will not have friends who are smokers and never eat out in smoke-filled places. Thank God the yanks and the Irish have had the sense to ban it in public places. I gave up using the Nicorette inhalator. Extremely effective by making you feel like shit if you decide to light up while under its duress. Good luck all - I've just done a 5 mile run and feel great - still can feel the areobic loss of capactity due to my 13 smokers years though !!

TFS

Biggles Flies Undone
30th Aug 2005, 14:56
GD&L you're looking for the Universal Panacea that doesn't exist.

Smoking is addictive and you aren't going to find an easy, palliative way to stop.

The huge mound of scientific evidence built up over scores of years proves that if you smoke your life will be shorter. How much shorter depends on your genes, type of fix you get and how your body handles it. But it will be SHORTER.

Maybe you prefer to live life in the fast lane, have fun while you're young and stuff old age. You won't hear me critiscising you if you do. I've made my choice (in fact I made it when I was in my early teens) but 'each to their own'.

Bottom line is, if you REALLY want to stop, you will.

dwshimoda
30th Aug 2005, 15:50
I stopped smoking on January 17th 2004, as did my wife. I read a book by Alan Carr called "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" - it doesn't tell you why you should stop, it tells you why you do smoke. I spent a week reading the book, then stopped. Neither of us ever felt a craving or a loss, and my former life as a smoker seems very weird and a long time ago.

However, I do know of people who have read it and it hasn't worked for them. I believe there is a method that works for everyone - you just need to keep trying them until you find the one that works for you. I think I just got lucky and got the right way the first time.

I would say though that I also bought the book for my brother and a colleague at work - both of them are now non-smokers.

You need to want to stop, and once you do after a few months you feel so much better!

Good luck and keep trying - if I remember rightly, the book cost about the same as 1 1/2 packets of Marlboro lights - so you haven't really got much to lose!

DW

BOFH
30th Aug 2005, 16:03
I'm with DW - the Allen Carr book is probably the most convincing way to persuade yourself to stop - and it worked for me a couple of times. :O

BOFH

Stoney X
30th Aug 2005, 16:04
Kalium Chloride's chest pain method worked for me, except it wasn't a heart attack but a lung collapse. Rather painful to say the least. Whilst not directly caused by smoking it was certainly a wake up call. That was 9 years ago now. I think the lasting impression of the experience was the doctor telling me to hold onto his business card cause if I didn't give up he'll be able to make money out of me in the future.:\

Regards
Stoneyx

doubleu-anker
30th Aug 2005, 16:10
Hello Antoninus

Now that was quiet a rant. I feel I am making progress with your illness (advanced as it is) as you haven't addressed me as a friend again. For this I am eternally grateful. Just keep taking the pills and you will soon discover that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

One needs to use the fear factor, whether it be to try and help people stop smoking, children going near snakes, etc., etc. Even you have been taught by fear. EG, as you have been reduced to name-calling and the use of obscenities, as your vocabulary is limited. On the obscenities you haven't spelt out the full words, for FEAR of being banned from this site or you can't spell, which wouldn't surprise me in the least

AIRWAY
30th Aug 2005, 16:32
I smoked twice about 3 years ago, haven't smoked since...

TheFlyingSquirrel
30th Aug 2005, 16:59
Or as the old joke goes - I'm good at giving up, just crap at starting again !

TFS

GearDown&Locked
30th Aug 2005, 17:38
@Biggles
you're looking for the Universal Panacea that doesn't exist.

I'm trying to find a method that I haven't tried yet. I've tried cold turkey, patches, the works but although I have made up my mind about quitting my body doesnít seem too happy following my orders. I have to admit my weakness: So far what Iíve accomplished is reducing from 2 packs a day to 1 for the last 2 years. Last month Iíve tried cold turkey again, Iíve hold it for 2 painful days but ended up smoking again.

Yes, there is no Miracle cure for this addiction, but it doesnít hurt trying new methods. I was told about the book previously referred and the person who told me so, stopped smoking ďjust like thatĒ, and he smoked 2 packs a day. Just cutting the number of cig's per day just won't do it either 'cos I keep forgetting and busting the "plafond".

F:mad: ing Nicotine

tall and tasty
30th Aug 2005, 17:48
I don't smoke but would have never believed this if not seen it. One of our receptionist went to the docs to have a chest xray at the hosp. , she was asked to take it to the docs for him to tell her about the diagnosis. This is 12 yrs ago. She bought into the vets surgery and asked a vet what was wrong.

He looked at the film, shook his head and said TAR!!!!!

What she cried , the bottom of her lungs thick shadows creeping up the sides

:yuk: :yuk: I don't believe you she cried. He explained to her what happens to the lungs. She took out the box of cigarettes and binned them there and then She was a 40 a day smoker. In 4 weeks xrays showed a considerable decrease in her tar in the lungs giving her more energy.

She is a non smoker still and recommends any one who wants to give up look at their lungs

TnT

Chacha
30th Aug 2005, 18:04
I have tried time and time again but still can't quit .. Going to try again .. I too was asked to read the Allan Carr book but just not got hold of it yet! .. Will get it! .. :sad:

Ozzy
30th Aug 2005, 19:55
Stopped cold turkey, BUT I had set a date for when I was going to do so. So when the day came, that was it. Smoked the last of the packet and went on from there. Just keep telling yourself you are not a smoker, you no longer smoke. That was over 3 years ago and I don't miss em one bit.

I have heard however that at 7 years after quitting a lot of folk take up the habit again. Maybe just anectodal.

Ozzy

G-DESK
30th Aug 2005, 21:43
I quit recently after several failed attempts in the past. It sounds obvious, but the advice about REALLY wanting to give up is sound - cravings are so vicious, even with patches etc, you have to be 100% committed to get through them. I did a few things differently this time which seem to have made the difference.

Firstly I attended an NHS stop smoking group, which I thought would be a bit weird but was actually just a bunch of nice people who wanted to stop smoking. Going through it with others and having someone to talk to who really understood was invaluable.

Secondly, and probably most importantly to me, I spent three weeks consciously preparing to give up. I made a note of every single cigarette I smoked during that time and how it made me feel. It didn't take long to notice how forgettable the majority of cigarettes are and how few I even slightly enjoyed once I was being brutally honest with myself. I stopped smoking in the car two weeks beforehand and cleaned it from top to bottom to put me off. I have never smoked in my house, but stopped having certain cigarattes, like the after dinner one, at their usual time to start breaking the habit 10 days before. Then a week before I stopped going for cigarette breaks at work. By the time I actually stopped smoking, I had already broken several of the major habits which made it a lot easier.

Finally I planned some things to do to occupy my mind and take up my time so I wouldn't be sitting at home thinking about smoking. New classes at the gym, a big project at work I'd been meaning to tackle for a while and spending more time with non-smoking friends have all helped me.

That said, going through the process of quitting smoking really sucks and is probably one of the most challenging things I've ever done. I used patches to stave off the worst of the cravings, but that didn't stop my mind trying to tell me that 'just one' would be fine, or that maybe now wasn't the best time, or any number of other excuses. The only way I have managed to get through all that is by expecting it in advance and being really prepared for it. Without wanting to sound like a born-again smoker, it is worth it, I feel better and am also a darn sight better off already!

TheFlyingSquirrel
31st Aug 2005, 00:37
I actually picked up a pair of smokers lungs at the Bodyworlds exhibition. ( a touch exhibit !! ) They had been plasticised and were amzinging light. The ' doner ' had been a life long smoker and the habit had finished him off. The tar deposition throughout his lungs was staggering. I estimate that 75% of the lung surface was as black as your hat - scary stuff !! Please give up people - it's just not worth it and you just do not miss it at all when you've quit !!

TFS

Nani
31st Aug 2005, 04:32
F ing Nicotine

GearDown&Locked,

There's your first step,you obviously really want to quit if you find yourself cursing the nicotine.

Once,long ago,I took up smoking socially with card playing Turkish ladies. Bought a pack of smoke on the days for gathering days but the day when I bought a pack out of blue was the day when I gave up and put on my pair of running shoes. At the end of 300 yards,I was out of breath and quite blue on the face. Never lit up one after that. I gave up our bridge parties with the ladies since the atmosphere created or fueled the habit.

How about making a date for quitting and join a gym with a private trainer who could supervise your activity level for few months as you rid your lungs from tar then take up power walking or running?
Every time you get the urge for reaching for a butt,go for a run around the block few times or few miles.

In any case,I wish you the best of luck and a strength to fight the nicotine habit.

BlueDiamond
31st Aug 2005, 05:43
It's not easy at all but I did it by using the patches and the Nicorette inhaler. The inhaler does the same as the chewing gum ... allows a little nicotine to dissolve in the mouth but doesn't have the taste of the gum. It also gives your hands something to fiddle with which is also a part of the smoking habit.

One of the recommended things is to plan for a date when you will give up. This should not be too soon as you need to get yourself into the mind set. Make it about two or three weeks and spend that time getting all your "ammunition" together. Quit Kits are available from various sources and are full of all sorts of little motivational items as well as important information, hints and tips.

The night before your set date, smoke as many cigarettes as you want until you feel thoroughly sick of them. If you can "time" it so that only one or two remain in the packet by bedtime, so much the better. You can just crumble those into the bin.

Interestingly, I found that all those adverts on TV which had little effect on causing me to give up, were great as a reinforcer. Where they had not done anything for me before, they now served as a great device for confirming that I was doing the right thing. The other thing that kept me on track was knowing that if I went back, I would have put myself through all that sh!t for nothing.

Everyone is different, but I hope you find whatever will work for you. There is no doubt you will feel a lot better even though there will still be times when you would love to have a cigarette again. That does become easier with time though. It's been well over two years for me now and I won't go back to it. Best of luck.

Blacksheep
31st Aug 2005, 05:45
My name is Blacksheep and I'm a smoker. I haven't smoked a cigarette for twenty one years. I still occasionally get the feeling that I fancy a cigarette though.

To give up you first need to want to. Then you need a friend to help you. In my case I was on a course at Big Airways - no smoking in the classroom. I was lighting up after lunch when my friend Pete said "You just had a smoke on the way over here, so what do want another one for?" I thought about it and he was right. So, Pete took my cigarette packet away and told me that he'd give me one anytime I liked, but I'd have to ask him for it. After a few days of arguing with him during lesson breaks and resisting the temptation to buy another packet at the hotel shop in the evening I had it cracked.

Positive encouragement is what it takes.

Pete offered me my packet of cigarettes back two years later.
He'd hung on to them just in case.

As an aside, my Dad was at the hospital recently for some tests. The doctor asked him if he smoked, to which he replied that he'd given it up. "When?" asked the doc. "1946" says Dad - there's no answer to that. Once a smoker, always a smoker.

Hobgoblin
31st Aug 2005, 08:42
Good for you GearDown&Locked!

You've taken the most important step - you want to STOP smoking.

Now don't let anyone fool you into thinking you're "giving up smoking". Ask yourself what exactly will you be giving up?

You are going to stop smoking. (A small point but a very important one)

Secondly, why would you want to replace one form of Nicotine addiction with another (i.e. patches)? The mind boggles.

Thirdly, why oh why, would you want to put yourself through the agony of "cutting down" your nicotine intake? Just imagine you manage to cut out one cigarette per day of your normal 10 or 20. Pretty soon you're going to be down to one per day. Great.

How important do you think that one cigarette is going to be to you?

I struggled with the evil weed (not that one!) for 20 years. For a very large part of that time I had convinced myself I actually like it. Every time I tried one or other method of "giving up" I always caved in after 2 weeks at most. I was beginning to think that I will die smelling like an old ashtray.

Then I ran across a book written by a man called Allen Carr. It crystallised my thinking because instead of trying to scare you into stopping or trying to make you feel guilty about smoking he actually presents a well thought out and lucid argument about smoking and what keeps you coming back for more.

I read the book in 8 hours during two sittings. (Smoking away merrily while I was reading)

I have never had a craving again and can confidently say I will never smoke again. Funny thing was it was really easy to stop with his help.

I won't say good luck because you don't need it. You just need to use good sense in investing the money for the next two packs of cigarettes.

Quote from Flynverted:

Just tap the brakes every now and then my friend ....

to be sure that you are the one running the show .....

When you determine that you are not ....

ask yourself how you like slavery ....

Says it all really...

GearDown&Locked
1st Sep 2005, 11:24
Thanks a lot to all your wonderful replies.:ok: :ok:

I will try a combination of some of the methods posted here i.e. I'm setting a date to quit: the 18th of September, a couple of weeks ahead.Meanwhile I'll try to find here in Lisbon the Allen Carr book, or buy it from Amazon, and also try to prepare my mind for D Day by beggining to cut one or another cig break during worktime.

If someone reading this thread is thinking about breaking this habit, focus on the Sep 18th to quit too. Let's see how many guys/gals will become non-smokers after this.

GD&L

...on the countdown.

benhurr
1st Sep 2005, 11:53
GD&L

In a similar position - tried patches, inhalator, friends advice etc. I have also read the Allen Carr book. In fact I am going to read it again. I have been smoking for 20 years and maybe now is the the time to stop.

18th September sounds like quite a good date to give it a go.

VitaminGee
1st Sep 2005, 12:55
GD&L,

After over 30 years of 20+ a day I stopped in May this year - and, to the surprise and shock of those that know me, am still not smoking!! This is my third attempt but is different in the fact that this time I really wanted to stop . The advantage of aids like patches is that they reduce the narcotic withdrawal effects while you concentrate on the mental/habit side of things. The clinic I attended recommended staying on the max strength patches for 6-10 weeks and then go solo. The clinic's opinion was that the 14 and 7mg patches were a marketing ploy to keep you buying them.
Rewards - because temptation is always there, and it is sometimes difficult to identify any appreciable physical benefits (it takes a while for the cardio-vascular system to send you positive signals) find ways of rewarding yourself. For me, the cost of smoking was a major trigger in giving-up and so I put an equivalent amount of money away in an account to which NO ONE ELSE has access. I've promised myself a new set of golf-clubs - for starters!!

benhurr,

and maybe now is the the time to stop.
and
sounds like quite a good date

IMHO you need to be more positive and change "maybe" to "definitely" and "quite a" to "a very" and so on:ok:

Good Luck to all:D :D

VG

BlueDiamond
1st Sep 2005, 13:00
All the very best to you, mate ... and to anyone else who joins you in your venture. :ok:

Burnt Fishtrousers
1st Sep 2005, 14:12
Yep! my missus read Allan Carrs book and I did too on holiday. She gave up and I dont smoke but th ebook put a very interesting alternative spin on smoking.

She had her last tab at the airport coming home a month ago and has forgotten all about the habit....

The £5 a day shes saving by not smoking is going into a trust fund our daughters education and I'm matching her pound for pound
In 10 years time when shes 17 she could use the cash

Confabulous
1st Sep 2005, 19:34
Flynverted has it right all right - you have to want to stop. If the pleasure of smoking is more than the pleasure of giving up then don't - there are worse habits out there.

Being a hypnotherapist/NLP practitioner gives me a fair bit of experience in dealing with this. Self gratification is place of smoking is a VERY good idea - one I'll tell my clients about - I'm sure they'll take it up with enthusiasm!

I always get my best ideas from other people, so thanks :ok: :E

Confab

benhurr
1st Sep 2005, 19:49
O.K. point taken VG. 18th September is the date I will stop smoking.

But which year?

Nah, I am going to go for it, I have lost my copy of my book though but I do have time to get another copy.

But someone has got to promise me that I wont turn into one of those rabid antismokers who moan all the frickin time. I think the thought of that is what is putting me off more than anything - even smoking is not that antisocial.

Ozzy
2nd Sep 2005, 04:35
Humour on.

I have a friend who is so good at giving up smoking he's done it seven times:E

Ozzy

normal_nigel
2nd Sep 2005, 09:20
doubleu-anker

as said before.

Self righteous pompous idiot

Probably a wind up and smokes 60 day.

If not he'll probably get run over by a bus.

Won't be so smug then will we?

Must be Emirates.

Ah it all makes sense now.

SIGMET nil
2nd Sep 2005, 12:44
I quit a couple years ago with the help of Allen Carr's book. I didn't even buy it, instead I read it in the bestseller corner of my favourite bookstore in piecemeal fashion. You are even allowed to smoke during the period you read the book and you have to read it to the end. That is indeed important, I found out.
I suffered from withdrawal symptoms for about 9 days I seem to remember, but then the craving was gone altogether. I still don't mind somebody smoking in my vicinity and haven't become a militant non smoker at all.

doubleu-anker
2nd Sep 2005, 13:01
normal_nigel

Well who made you king??

Not guilty on 4 out of 5. Could get run over by a bus, who knows. With you driving it, probably.

You acuse me of being pompus. That's a bit rich coming from a BA t****r.

BOFH
2nd Sep 2005, 19:39
You are even allowed to smoke during the period you read the book

SIGMET , which bookstore is this? :p I seem to recall being allowed to smoke in the library at University. Superb for swotting sessions.

BOFH

aged
2nd Sep 2005, 22:29
As mentioned by a few, there is a huge difference between thinking you ought to stop and actually wanting to stop. We all know we should, we all know smoking is bad etc etc but that is not the same as wanting to stop.
I decided a couple of years ago I wanted to stop so went (with an open mind) for hypnosis. I wasn't convinced it would work but decided it might be an easy fix.
Had a fag on the doorstep, an hour later walked out and thought I ought to want another one now but didn't, wasn't sure why. In the pub later went for my fags but for some reason didn't feel like one. And so it went on. There was (is) a mental block put in place, no withdrawal symptoms, no suffering, no craving, just in an hour became an ex smoker.
Smoke doesn't bother me, I have no objection to others enjoying their right to cough.
Just make sure you get a good, recommended practitioner, the cheap con artists are a waste of space.

Saying all that though there is little worse than the self righteous ex smoker, they seem to think they have to convert the world.

fresh air aged (with a refreshed sense of smell)

hemac
2nd Sep 2005, 22:53
I had a £500 bet with a friend of mine. We both gave up the same day and if one of us started he had to give the other one £500.
My friend quit for about a week but it took me nearly 6 months before I caught him. That was about 5 years ago and I haven't smoked since, and don't believe I ever will.

The extra monkey was welcome though.

H.

JudyTTexas
2nd Sep 2005, 23:33
For a $36 investment, in Jan. '96 I was able to stop the habit...

Went to the local health food store. Bought a bottle of Tobacco Detox...(non addictive). Everytime I wanted a cig, put a tab sublingual under the tongue. Amazing how it took the craving away and settled the nicotine drive.

This was in combination of taking St. John's Wort 3 times a day at meal time. (helped with nausea, dizziness)

I was also told to drink lots of orange juice, as it flushes the nicotine out of your system.

Have never craved one since...

guccigal
3rd Sep 2005, 06:10
Hi my name's Gucci and I used to be a smoker for 3yrs. One day i was smoking and i realised it was total bullshit. I decided i didn't really like smoking and it was making me feel gross. I quit then and there, and haven't touched one since. That was 4 years ago. I am now super healthy and super fit and i love that.

Now i think smokers are gross (no offense). It's definitely an unattractive personality trait/weakness. I can always tell a smoker when i meet one, and the smell of someone smoking is totally yuck. I think you have to make up your mind to quit, and then it becomes a non-issue. But you have to really WANT to do it.

As for the physical addiction, i have heard that there is a powerful aversive therapy type drug you can get from your doctor. you take the drug and smoke for about a week, and thereafter everytime you smoke you feel sick as a dog. It's supposed to turn you off cigarettes for good.

Good luck to those who are wanting to quit. Make up your mind and DO IT!!!! Surround yourself with like-minded people and enjoy healthy living thereafter.

SIGMET nil
3rd Sep 2005, 06:24
@ BOFH

quote: SIGMET , which bookstore is this? I seem to recall being allowed to smoke in the library at University. Superb for swotting sessions.

I detected the ambiguity in my post shortly after posting and have been brooding over it for a while .. :O

Okay, of course I meant the author encourages you to smoke while reading the book, which is not true for the bookstore.

As you have Frankfurt listed as a part time location: it was the Munich-Marienplatz Hugendubel store. The chain also has a store in Frankfurt.

BOFH
3rd Sep 2005, 11:16
SIGMET

I couldn't help it - the image iof you sticking a bookmark inside 'your' copy, and merrily puffing away whilst reading it.

Yeah, Hugendubel is up towards the Alte Oper - their English-language selection is quite limited and awe-inspiringly expensive. I ordered Carr's book from Amazon, along with other requirement I had.

His organisation runs seminars here and there too (the website is a model of how _not_ to design a website). Reading this thread has reminded me of why I should stop - 25 years is long enough.

BOFH
(off-topic - I envy you, Sigmet - I shall miss the Oktoberfest for the first time in five years. Now _that's_ life-threatening!)

Dak Mechanic
5th Sep 2005, 10:27
Right, I stopped smoking last Friday (Sept 2nd).. Used a hypnotist and to be honest it's still not easy but I'm doing ok for now!

I've got some of the lowest level 7mg patches from a previous attempt that I'm using as a placebo...

Thumbs up for now.

J

effortless
5th Sep 2005, 11:32
I really do feel for you who wish to give up. You have a hard road to travel, most of you that is. Some lucky devils find it easy. I believe that some are addicts and some aren't. I know people who went cold turkey and never looked back. I know others who gave up, in one case forty years ago but who are, in effect, smokers in remission.

If you are serious about giving up you will find your own route but above all you must not leave a vacuum. You must find something to fill that cigarrette sized hole in your life. One of my friends bought himself a Harley. He reckons that the capital cost, amortised, plus running costs, are still less than he spent of tobacco.

Another point, that is worth noting, is that the kind of fag you smoke will have an effect on your success in giving up. Marlborough are really hard. It is worth changing to something like Silk Cut first.

Don't be fooled by Lights. They aren't any easier to give up and they are as dangerous. I am peripherally involved in lung cancer trials and there is a strong indication of an increase in deep lung cancers. This may be because people who smoke Lights tend to inhale deeper to get a hit.

Success in lung cancer treatment at the moment is about 9% survival at two years. Forty thousand people die of lung cancer per annum in the UK. New patients are about thirty five thousand per annum.

Quite a few of my friends have given up recently with mixed results. The big impetus was seeing someone we all loved dying at a very young age of lung cancer. She died angry and miserably having been diagnosed when she had a much waited for baby.

When giving keep telling yourself that your fags were paying Maggie Thatchers wages. They are also paying Ken Clarke's. Go to London and look at the people standing outside the Middlesex attached to Chemo drips while smoking. The woman in her fifties who smokes through a hole in her throat may still be there.

Most if you started smoking because you thought it was grown up and cool. Take a walk around the council estates or projects and look at all the "cool" people there with fags hanging out of their mouths. Look at the women pushing their brats around and screaming at them while squinting through the smoke. You look just as cool as they do.

If you fly, it will, most likely, be the fags which will ground you, if you are lucky later but most likely sooner.

Good luck to you all. Giving up smoking will be the best thing you will ever achieve. It just doesn't look that way to you at the moment.

BOFH
5th Sep 2005, 23:22
When giving keep telling yourself that your fags were paying Maggie Thatchers wages. They are also paying Ken Clarke's.

... and now the pensions of our bloated Civil Service. I appreciate that you are attempting to persuade people to stop, which is a good thing if they want to, but must we politicise everything?

Tobacco crosses class barriers - I have the smoking room in my club - and our CIO smokes, for example. What inferences should I draw from that?

Good luck, Dak Mechanic, I'm taking the Allen Carr seminar as a birthday present from my beloved, with frills on top if I stick it out. It's only 210 quid, and they give it back if you're still on the gaspers after three months.

I'll report back on the outcome.

BOFH

effortless
7th Sep 2005, 09:56
Heard today on't wireless; smokers are twice as likely to lose their sight as non smokers.

prospector
7th Sep 2005, 11:08
Only one way,

You must want to give up more than you want to smoke.

Dak Mechanic
7th Sep 2005, 11:14
So it's smoking that sends you blind and not w*nking then?

Thank god for that!

J

Ace Rimmer
7th Sep 2005, 12:57
Aged: Exactly my experience couple of years back with one small variation - about three days in for a about a further three days I found out what PMS was all about...for no reason at all I was just SO ANGRY....but like I say that passed after a couple of days... and I was a serious smoker for the best part of 25 years (16 to 40)...

Born again ex-smoker rant: Of course there are the tangeable health benefits at recent Medical BP really good (way better than my advancing years) and lung capacity up by about 30% - compared with before knocking the gaspers on the head. But I'd go with all the earlier comments if you don't WANT to give up you will fail - so don't put yourself through the grief...

Flip Flop Flyer
7th Sep 2005, 16:55
Must admit peeps, that this here thread has helped me over the cliff, so to speak.

My name is Flip Flop Flyer and I'm a 40 a day Marlboro addict, have been smoking for the better part of 22 years, and I'm sick and tired of being addicted to those stinking coffin nails.

I have therefore, right here on the spot, decided to join GDL and go non-smoking as of 19SEP05. No if, when or but. I'll bloody do it, and I will succeed!

So how about some mutual support GDL? I've got rather broad shoulders to cry on, in the most manly of senses obviously, and I can also deliver a right good bollocking - whatever is required to help you fight the craving.

PS
Sorry I'll be lacking behind you by a day, but realisticly speaking there is zero chance of me quitting smoking while vacationing in Greece! Will be back on the 19th, and therefore the 19th it'll be.

My name is Flip Flop Flyer, and in a week I'll be an ex-smoker. I've just promised my daughter it'll be so, and I have never broken a promise to her, nor have I any intention of ever doing so (hey, just trying to give myself all the motivation I can, ok?).

doubleu-anker
7th Sep 2005, 17:01
Flip Flop Flyer

Good for you sir.

I think we should all applaud those that are trying to give it up.

"Kick it, before it kicks you."

Binoculars
7th Sep 2005, 17:10
And my advice to the person counting down the days to the 18th of September is that you are doomed to failure.

Get your packet of cigarettes out right now, look at them, decide whether you REALLY want to stop, and if you do, rip every cigarette into pieces, turn your back and promise yourself you are never going to have another cigarette. Don't even have a final one for old time's sake. If you can do that, you are ready to give up. If you are not REALLY convinced that you want to give up, your time is not yet here.

GearDown&Locked
7th Sep 2005, 19:10
Binoculars , by setting a date on it I'm just preparing my mind for the "first jump"; Any rookie skydiver knows what I mean. Once out - deal with it ! :eek: :p

Flip Flop Flyer , we have a deal :ok: I had made the same promise to Ms GD&L (she's as sceptic as many in here btw) and to my baby girl although she's only 10 months old :)

Best regards

GD&L

Boney
12th Sep 2005, 03:42
G'day people

How is the non smoking going?

I'm 34 and have been smoking half my life now. I did actually not smoke at all for over 3 years (96-99).

The marriage broke down and out on a big night - you know how it works. Pathetic excuse I know.

Have decided for the thousandth time to give it another go (day 1 today) and am looking forward to a week or so of wondering if I am going mad? Have got the patches on - they help you stay sane but it is still a a difficult road.

From my vast experience in trying to give it away, these are the symptoms that I always experience -

Day 1, just feel really weird and abit on edge.

Day 2 - 5, feel quite sick. Sweaty palms (24hrs. a day) bad sleep or very little. During the day I will feel really enegetic for an hr. and then exhausted for an hr. - back and forth all day, every day. Feel anxious, stressed and basicly a slight case of insanity. I also get bad ulcers in my mouth

However, you will instantly feel better when you wake up each morning when you haven't blown 30 smokes the day before.

After about 5 days, the above symptoms decrease about 10% per day every day but it is about 2 weeks before you start to feel quite normal again.

I am currently between jobs and the other times I have tried to give it away have been on breaks from flying etc.

I wonder how many drivers today will be flying heavy metal down to mimima's feeling like the above 'cause they have not had a smoke for 3 days?

Not much fun, especially for the other crew member if you are half mental?

inmate
12th Sep 2005, 05:08
Regardless of all the options the most effective is still the jog of reality and the realization of the possible consequences if you do not take heed of the warning.
I was a 4 pack a day smoker, I could finish a pack before breakfast just drinking coffee and would wake up in the middle of the night to have a smoke. I suffered the normal hacking cough in the mornings and started to get a hint of shortness of breath during the early part of the day.
On the morning of the 27th Dec 1997 at 7.10 in the morning I got in my car to go and have coffee with my mates and lit a cig. This started the usual coughing spell however it progressed into a really hacking spasim that got so bad I only saw bright flashing lights and it scared the sh#t out of me.
I threw the cig out the car window, screwed up the fresh pack and tossed them. I have never touched another one since. Do I still think of having one? yes, it never goes away, the smell from a freshly opened pack of cigs still is okay to me, the smell of stale tobbaco is another matter and although I try and refrain from being a high and mighty non smoker, it is bad and until you quit you will not understand what people are complaining about.
My jog with reality was enough, I don't have a sure and fast answer to the question of "how do you quit" and I dont think anybody does. Different strokes for different folks, but it does help to surround yourself with non smokers and go to places that discouage smoking, each day can be a struggle yet if you can do it one day at a time then thats one more day than you did before, and even if you succome to the odd one yet still keep the long term goal in your mind thats also okay.
They say that the lungs are very adaptable and after about 5 years of non smoking they will return to their former selves. I consider myself lucky, not only in no longer smoking but thankfull I got the wakeup call before it was too late.
I wish anybody trying to quit the best of luck and remember if you don't stop maybe one day you will walk in for your annual physical and come out with a pink slip, that surely is something to think about???

mcluhan
12th Sep 2005, 06:19
i heard this interesting piece of advice :

" to quit smoking , simply pick a ciggy out of the fresh pack , stick it , filter first , up your fat friends arse and put it back in the pack. now , have another ciggy if you dare ":} :} :}

capt.cynical
12th Sep 2005, 09:00
I quit 3 years ago with the help of "Nicabate Lozenges" they worked well.
Unfortunately I am now addicted to the lozenges. :{
At least I can breathe a lot better.:rolleyes:

effortless
12th Sep 2005, 10:10
Well done all of you, ok that sounds patronising but I don't mean to be. This is the best thing that you have ever done. It just doesn't seem so yet.

I cannot overstress how much finding something else to do instead helps. Do not leave a cigarrette sized hole in your life! Fill it with summat else. My last girl friend took up sex. Lord I miss her.:{

Nani
4th Oct 2005, 05:50
GearDown&Locked ,

Have you manage to quit by your set date? If you haven't,don't get discouraged,just set a new date.

GearDown&Locked
4th Oct 2005, 10:19
I will be honest with you.

I didn't manage to quit on said date :( ... and I'm very p:mad: ed with myself. The best I could do, and still doing, is to reduce it to 4 or 5 per day. Still not enough.

I can't really understand why I'm still hooked on this bad habit, because if someone told me I would never touch alchool from this day on, it wouldn't be such a big deal and I would turn to orange juice on the same minute, and I do enjoy my beer and fine wines.

I'm still struggling to find a better way to leave this once and for all. The only positive side is that I'm only smoking 25% of what I used to.

Not enough.

GD&L

prospector
4th Oct 2005, 10:34
From someone who knocked off a number of times during a 40 year smoking history, I say again;

You must want to stop smoking more than you want to smoke.

Its the only way, must come from within, no doubts, no pills, no patches, just tell yourself I dont smoke.

Not easy, but cast your memory back to the first packet or two, was it easy starting to smoke, or did your system rebel with much coughing etc.

Prospector

feet dry
4th Oct 2005, 10:42
Morning all,

Do not be downhearted GD&L. I stopped in April of this year, the bit that ended up doing it for me was that Mrs Dry would advise me of what she could buy if I stopped smoking for 1/2/3 weeks etc. (i.e. £5 per day X 3 weeks = a rather nice chimnea - god I have turned into my parents!!)

Anywho, I stopped by saying that I would not buy another packet again. This for me was (and is) a tangible objective - keep the dosh in my pocket for the purposes of giving pleasure to Mrs Dry!!

Since stopping I put on about a stone in weight so to combat that I have returned to daily exercise and have never felt better/slept better etc etc etc.

(P.S. The month before I stopped I had bought a new motorbike so it somewhat brought things to head moneywise!!)

GearDown&Locked
5th Jun 2006, 17:40
Hello all,

I'll start by saying that finally I'm not smoking for the 5th day in a row. :)
Note that I did not say I'd quit smoking... I did not smoke and I will continue to do so, and in time will become a non-smoker.

It's hell, I'm drinking 5 liters of water per day, I have to take pills for anxiety to help me sleep, I'm not using any nicotine substitution patches or the like, just brute force will power :ouch:

But it is a big victory for me: it sounds stupid but for 20 years (yes 20!) I couldn't manage to pass a single day without 1 cigarrete. :eek:

Day 5, guys.
c'mon join me !! We'll make it :ok:

GD&L

EC Does It
5th Jun 2006, 19:02
The cunning ploy that I used to stop smoking was to not buy any cigarettes.

Worked a treat!!

Cheers, ECDI.

Tuba Mirum
5th Jun 2006, 19:04
Nice one, GD&L. Keep at it, it really is worth it in the end.
Don't be afraid of using whatever aids you need to - nicotine chewing gum helped me, until I was able to give that up in favour of ordinary chewing gum, and finally that too.
Be sure that everyone's rooting for you! The Dunnunda crowd are particularly enjoying the experience... :eek:

SoundBarrier
5th Jun 2006, 20:18
Right, seen this thread a few times and decided to add my tuppence.

I have been a non-smoker all my life but have always been surrounded by smokers. Over the past few years most of the smokers have given up cold turkey and some have been up to 5 years without a puff. They all used the same method and they all reported it to no be that hard.

I hope I can say the following, but there is an Author Allan Carr who authored a book, "Allan Carr's easy way to stop smoking". They all read the book and smoking is a thing of the past. I recently purchased the audiobook from Amazon in an attempt to help my sister who is unable to read. (only 4 pounds I think it was, and the book was 7 pounds)

If it succeeds, I will let you guys know.
:D to those trying, good luck!:ok:

Hobgoblin
5th Jun 2006, 20:23
Well done!
Hang in there GD&L. You'll be so glad you've stopped!
Little advice to hopefully help you. This was a mantra I used to help me quit. Every time you see someone with a cigarette say to yourself: "I am SO glad I don't smoke anymore"
Once again: Well done! You've freed yourself from the slavery of making a bunch of drug dealers rich.
Good luck and keep us updated.:ok:

allan907
6th Jun 2006, 03:16
Give up for an hour....then you can manage 2 hours
Give up for 2......................................... 4 hours
Give up for 4 .........................................8 hours

and so on

Give up for 5 days....then you can manage 10 days

Give up for 1 year .......then you can manage for 2 years

Break it down into manageable portions and build on what you know you have already been able to achieve.

....or try hypnotherapy.

Loose rivets
6th Jun 2006, 03:59
There's a lot more to this than getting the big one, and dying. That's just tough on the people that you leave behind.

There will always be the helpful dick-heads that will tell you that their XXX smoked all their lives and lived to 100. Good for them, but the odds are that it will be much worse for you than dying.

Hanging onto the furniture to help you get across the room. Looking at peoples winces as your lungs crackle so much that it makes them feel sick. Knowing that they really don't want you sitting at the meal table with them...but what can they do?

Seeing you families faces as they carry in the 02 bottles...for the third time that week. Then there's the Ventolin. Just see how you feel when your nebulizer busts, looking at all those vials lined up and no way to get the stuff into your lungs.

Wave your family goodby as they go on holiday...you won't be able to miss the other in-law that is included....the one with the SCUBA gear in his car. Fcuk him you'll say.

Years and years of wasted life, why won't the damn thing take you so that you can have some peace? They will, sometime soon after you notice lung tissue issuing out as you cough. Soon you will be drowning despite being in normal air.

computer jockey
6th Jun 2006, 11:29
Well done, GD&L! I was just going to say that we had both stopped on the same day, but I checked my diary and I have gone two weeks without a fag - sorry cigarette. Like a lot of people have said on this thread, you really have to want to stop smoking. I've tried to stop about 4 times in the last 30 years. It was only after a bad bout of bronchitis recently that I got fed up of coughing my lungs up every morning (I know it sounds horrible, but it was!). I felt it was time.

So I'm with you GD&L - let's do it together!

Cheers

cj

GearDown&Locked
6th Jun 2006, 16:59
Thanks all for the support!

Now I feel I can break this stupid habit for good!
I just hope this thread will help other people to quit smoking. Its not easy, but it can be done by anyone.

Just start ;)
I wish for those of you starting all the best, and we'll all meet on the healthier side of live.

GD&L:ok:

karrank
6th Jun 2006, 23:45
I had tried a number of times to "cut down a bit" but was never very successful at it. The West Australian Quit-line suggested it was a bad idea, coz that process of saying, "no... no... no... ah farkit, YES" does not lay a good foundation for when you are confronted by a situation that might have you saying "YES" after a year or two of saying "no..."

I believe a factor in starting smoking (for me & Mrs. K) was wanting to be like Mum & Dad who got through a carton each a week. Smoking was 'grown-up' stuff. As such, the happy thought I wanted to hang on to was I was determined that no kids of mine would ever get the same association by seeing me smoke.

My plan was:
:8 Actually want to give up - As above.
:8 Know what you have achieved - I gave up on Australia Day 1987, so any time I wanted to know how long I had been clean (particularly in the first few months) I could work it out. Failing meant I would have to wait for the next OZ Day, which helped with the resolve. New Year or a birthday (when you are pissed/hung over) is a crap day to pick.
:8 A short term target - The Quitline suggested that if you last 24 hours 90% of the crap is out of your system. If you achieve 24 hours you have achieved something. If you reach 30 days you have it beat and have achieved something. Keep a calender above your desk/whatever recording the progress of the first 24 hours, and the first month. And leave it there. Shout yourself something when you acheive your target.
:8 Do something else - Didn't think of wanking... For me it was chocolate bars & puzzles. As I smoked rollies it was important to do something with my hands. Get the urge peel & eat a bar or do a puzzle from a book in my pocket. Urge again in 10 minutes then do it again. Gained 10 KG in a month, lost it again in a year & have hated puzzles since. Seem to have put it on again now...

G-CPTN
7th Jun 2006, 01:56
Didn't think of wanking... For me it was chocolate bars & puzzles. As I smoked rollies it was important to do something with my hands. Get the urge peel & eat a bar or do a puzzle from a book in my pocket. Urge again in 10 minutes then do it again.
Think I'd have settled for the w4nk1ng . . .

ZFT
7th Jun 2006, 08:23
5 weeks ago after a Ďdisputeí with my Doctor walked out of the hospital, had a final cigarette and gave the remnants of the pack to the car park attendant Ė havenít had one since.
Really hadnít thought about quitting, but all it took was someone telling me I was too weak willed to stop at the wrong (right!) moment.
Will now concentrate on the other 2 vices to compensate.

10bob
7th Jun 2006, 09:25
GD&L,

I gave up the same day you did. Lets see who can keep going the longest?

:ok: