PDA

View Full Version : Have yours or someones Actions Prevented a Potential Disaster?

tall and tasty
29th Aug 2005, 19:02
Just got back from a very pleasant Bank Holdisay outing with the children that could have ended in a nasty incident for one family.

The children were playing in a high children's playframe suspended above the ground and most of the parents who were sitting waiting for their little ones to get tired.

My youngest came racing over and grabbed me shouting my sis needs you now move mummy please.

I got up the urgency in a little ones voice was apparent and asked where she was. He pointed. She was hanging on to a 3 year old who had slipped and fallen through a hole in the netting that was running along a walk way suspended over the heads of parents who were not aware of what was happening above as the noise was so great. The youngester too frightened to cry or scream was hanging on to the ropes with my daughter trying to hold his wrists and talking to him trying to calm him down and hoping he would not let go. IF he did it was about a 20 foot drop to a hard floor and parents if he was lucky. I raced over to a group asked them to look up and raise their arms incase he fell. Then followed my youngest up through the maze hoping he would not let go. WE got there just as his little fingers were slipping, white from hanging on for grim death. My daughter crying so much by now just realising the situation when she saw me. We pulled him to safety just as his mother poor lady unaware that he had got into the situation, she was playing with her youngest in the pool pit behind, heard he little one cry.

All I could do was praise my daughter and son for their actions and the little boys mother bought them ice creams, that is all they wanted as a thank you. I have never seen a lady more grateful knowing what the consequences could have beem.

So has anyone got heroic stories they would like to share, where situations could have unfolded in a complete disaster if actions had not been taken?

TnT

Jerricho
29th Aug 2005, 19:12
I dragged a kid out of the surf one day at Noosa and had his parents start yelling at me for it.

He was on a boogie board and got sucked out further than he should have been. It was pretty choppy and the poor kid started panicking and couldn't get back on his board. I swam out, and got him back to shore. By this time the little guy was bawling his eyes out, and his parents showed up and started having a go at me. A couple of girls standing on the beach had seen what happened and backed up exactly what I was trying to tell the parents, yet they were still giving me grief for it.............. probably didn't help that I was giving them sh*t for not watching their child as well as they could. Oh well.

M.Mouse
29th Aug 2005, 22:13
TnT,

What an extraordinary story.

You must be very proud that your two children did the right thing and stopped a nasty accident. The poor little lad below must have been terrified.

Leezyjet
29th Aug 2005, 22:59
Followed a dodgy illegal minicab driver the other night who was trying to get this lone girl to go in his taxi with him (he was on foot at the time). She kept saying no and telling him to go away, but he kept following her and hassling her, so me and my mate pretended to be a couple of drunks (we were actually a bit tipsy but not ar$eholed) and staggered along behind so we could hear the converstion but didn't appear to be following. She went into a kebab shop and he followed her in and sat with her at a table with her pleading with him to leave her alone, so at that point I went in a politley asked him to :mad: Off and leave her alone - he tried to punch me in the face but as I leant back to avoid it, I fell on a table. Had a bag with 2 cans of coke in my hand, so clobbered him round the head with it before 4 kebab shop guys dragged him outside and took over.

The girl was pretty shaken up by it, so stayed with her until her friends came to collect her. The guy was so adament to try and get her into his car, even after she said no a million times -he could have just left and looked for another fare if his intentions were above board, but he did not. hate to think what would have happened to her if she had got in. Poor girl was only in the UK for a week before heading back to Oz.

Also had it happen the other way round where my actions kind of contributed to an accident.

Was driving towards a set of traffic lights, 3 lanes for straight on, cars lined up in inside and middle lanes but outside lane clear. Lights on red, so I was going to pull up in the outside lane, burn the other 2 guys off when the lights changed then cross back to the left lane, but at the last minute decided to go join the queue in the left lane as I wasn't in much of a rush. Woman started crossing just as light started to change. Car came past stationary traffic in clear outside lane as lights now on green, just as woman appered from behind a van at the front of the queue in the middle lane, straight into the path of the car, and bam he hit her. If I had gone into that third lane, I would already have been stationary when she started to cross the road, so would not have pulled away until she had crossed. Fortunately she was ok, but I did feel bad about it for a while afterwards.

:)

tall and tasty
29th Aug 2005, 23:13
M.Mouse

little lad below must have been terrified

he was and did not even recognise his mother at first. To be honest I was shaking after helping rescue him more than before just thinking about what may have happened

TnT

Richo77
30th Aug 2005, 00:23
Similar to Jerricho (its almost an aussie ritual isnt it?), i pulled a kid out of the surf at Manly one day, although i was the one with the boogie board and he had just been swimming. But with fins on i put him on the board and swam back in, he kept catching waves and dragging me along. By the time we got to shore he wanted to do it all again!, but his parents and the lifesavers did thank me, so that counts.

Dont know if this really follows the thread TNT, but was offered a ride with a friend one night from one pub to the next and declined. Her car was t-boned at a set of lights on the way and the passenger side was caved in to the gearshift. I should add she wasnt drinking and in fact never drank. Would have been fairly disastrous for me personally!. She was fine though, scratches and bruises.

R

Loose rivets
30th Aug 2005, 00:24
It’s wonderful when children show such responsibility at a young age…great effort.:ok:

planepsycho
30th Aug 2005, 03:17
Once I gave my daughter the heimlich maneuver when she was choking on an orange slice, it actually worked!:ok:

Lon More
30th Aug 2005, 03:39
Good for you TnT. Hear so much about what idiots kids are, nice to see some being brought up properly.

Clarence Oveur
30th Aug 2005, 03:41
Once I gave my daughter the heimlich maneuver when she was choking on an orange slice Did the same to a Captain once. Cost me 4 more years in the RH seat.

But as he was a true gentleman it was worth it.

Tarnished
30th Aug 2005, 03:54
Apparently so! Reference the subject that is.

Punched out of my stricken aircraft narrowly averting disaster of crashing into village (which could have been) packed with tourists, this was Borth, N Wales.

Me, I just wanted to make it to the coast but settled for second best which was the estuary. Trouble was estuary (being tidal) was only 6 inches deep when I planted myself in it!

Ouch, or double ouch as I had knackered my back leaving the jet.

Don't believe everything you read in the press.

Tarnished

Buster Hyman
30th Aug 2005, 04:08
Tarnished...that makes me think of an airshow where a Russian jet (I think) was in trouble & he rode it down to avoid the crowds. Does anyone recall it? The memory isn't what it used to be...anyway, that to, me is the definition of a hero.

SmilingKnifed
30th Aug 2005, 05:52
Never had cause to be a hero in the air or on the ground (touch wood).

Hats off to those who have though. Particularly at an age when they're not as equipped to do so. TnT, you can be justifiably proud!:ok:

RiskyRossco
30th Aug 2005, 09:03
Younger brother and self at home one day and he had his mate over visiting. This dopey galah drags down mother's carving knife and starts on the "Samurai act". My younger brother didn't like it and went to grab his mate's wrist.
Sod's law decided to intervene. The brother's mate pulls back enough for my brother's hand, unintentionally, to close around the blade. Then the mate pulls knife back.
Naturally it opened up the web of my brother's hand no trouble. The little yob drops knife and legs it.
There I was, probably 12 if I recall, with no 1st aid training and my brother in serious crisis and bawling from the shock. I grabbed his hand and squeezed the wound shut. Rummaged first for bandaids to at least keep it closed then, second, through mum's linen closet, tearing up the first thing that came to hand.
Wrapped it best I could then tore off on bike to find dad at work, about 10mins away. Walked into his office and barely managed "He's hurt!" before crumpling into tears.
Dad assumed s/thing was up and left to sort it out. Later on, after brother had everything stitched and wrapped, mum said the nurse was glad I'd acted quickly, otherwise the loss of blood would've been fatal. Mum forgave me for tearing up the best linen.

buster H , does this 'ere "oops" (http://www.aeronautics.ru/nws001/msnbc001.htm) look familiar?

BombayDuck
30th Aug 2005, 09:59
On the way home from school, chatting with a friend. He decides to continue the conversation while crossing the road. Only problem being he is looking at me (right to left), and in doing so looking the wrong way from traffic. I stopped, he didn't. I'd seen the road roller. Yanked him out of the way with his collar.

His reaction: "Oh. Thanks. As I was saying...."

:p

DirtyPierre
30th Aug 2005, 10:28
Yes! Twice!

1. Surfers Paradise beach - 1978. Putting on leg rope of my surfboard and checking out the surf at the same time. Saw a little girl about 7, caught in a rip and struggling to stay afloat. Jumped on the board, brought her in. She was so weak she could barely walk back to her parents who were searching for her. Unlike Jerricho I didn't wait around to be abused or thanked, just went back into the water to get amongst the waves.

2. Melbourne Xmas Eve 1983. On a tram going down Swanston St. Outside the town hall it suddenly slams it's breaks on and then the sound of a thump. Look out and a woman is unconcious on the ground with another woman over her shouting for help. I jump down and we begin CPR. I'm doing the chest inflations while the woman is doing the chest compressions. After about 3 minutes, we get her breathing and heart going. Ambulance arrives. They take over. I get back on the tram and go home.

All that training as a surf lifesaver and lifeguard finally got used. Just never had to use it when I was actually on patrol.

Go Smoke
30th Aug 2005, 11:21
Seem to have got caught up in a few situations. Think the one that shocked me most was about four years ago.
I was standing on the tube train platform in London catching one of the last trains home on a Saturday night.
There was an old (I’m guessing 75-80) parachute regiment (red beret) guy standing next to me who’d looked like he’d been at a re-union.
Anyway, the train was coming (big blast of wind and light down the tunnel) when this fat, pissed up bird bowls on to the platform at a rate of knots and in a flurry of black gothic flapping and tripping knocks the old para onto the rails.
As he went over the edge I was already moving towards him. I lay down and grabbed him by his trouser band and lifted him one handed back onto the platform just as the train entered the station.
Few seconds later and he would have been toast.
The adrenaline must have been surging as I’m not strong and normally wouldn’t have stood a chance of lifting him one handed especially as I had to lie down to reach him.

Amazing thing was eveybody else just stood looking!

Poor guy was so shocked and distressed and was grazed bumped and bruised.
Anyway, fat bird boards train without so much as a sorry.
Meanwhile the para is pegging out on me. He has heart problems and things don’t look good.

I asked underground staff to call an ambulance and asked if anybody on the, now refilling, platform was a doctor.
Get this, one guy said yes but I’ve got to catch the last train!

I found his heart pills in his pocket and gave him two which seemed to help a bit and stayed till the ambulance arrived.

The old para held my hand and said ‘thank you’ as they carted him off to hospital – I hope he was ok.

I’d seen a guy jump in front of a train about two weeks before on Pimlico station – it was pretty gory and I’d been a bit disturbed about it so that evening was quite emotive for me. I’m glad I was there to help.

Lived in Central London for 8 years.
Walking up Tottenham Court Road one night when I see two guys fighting. One guys stabs the other and runs. Stabbed guy is down on the pavement as I run up to him and rocking, holding his leg and calling out.
There was blood everywhere when I got to him. Checked his leg out and sure enough it was an arterial bleed. He’d taken the knife in the inside left thigh.
Thankfully the medical training kicks in. I stopped the blood flow by hand and subsequently ‘knee’ pressure (I was getting tired applying so much pressure)
Called an ambulance on the mobile and thankfully they were there within minutes (UCL was just round the corner)
Though knowing about arterial bleeds, I had never actually seen one before – the amount pumping out really is very frightening and goes everywhere.

Flintstone
30th Aug 2005, 12:23
Picture the scene.

We were in aircraft hurtling toward the ground. It looked like curtains for sure, I was convinced we were going to die. The windscreen was filling up with runway at an alarming rate. I could hear someone screaming, it turned out to be me.

Thoughts flashed through my head. Would my family ever know how much I loved them? What about all those things I wished I'd done? Would people remember me as a good man?

I never thought I would turn to religion but I, a devout atheist, began to pray.

Impact was a certainty and all I could do was sit there, frozen, awaiting the inevitable.

Time had slowed. I remember becoming mesmerised, like a rabbit in headlights, as the altimeter unwound. 100 feet, 50 feet, 20.......10......... I tensed for what was about to come and prepared to meet my maker...........................

Then my instructor said "I have control" and we flew another circuit :p

StudentInDebt
30th Aug 2005, 13:56
Swimming in the sea off Portugal with a body board, went out a bit further than I should have to discover a local chap with a rather portly build thrashing about and looking like he was going down for the last time. No idea how it came about that 30 seconds later I was swimming towards shore with Pedro just about hanging onto the board (I guess that scout swimming badge had its uses after all). Got into the shallows and dragged him out onto the beach when his family appeared and helped. He was breathless and very frightened but otherwise OK. I don't speak a word of Portugese and they didn't speak English but I guessed that they were pleased to have Dad back without 4 gallons of seawater in his lungs.

Retrieved the body board, went back into the sea and then got two injections of venom in my foot from a spinefish lying in the shallows. Who says good deeds don't get rewarded! :uhoh:

rubik101
30th Aug 2005, 15:31
If you ask, has something you've done prevented a potential disaster then the answer must be, I don't know, nor does anyone else. What you describe is an ongoing event which turned out well in the end. A potential disaster has yet to happen so maybe all of us have done something to prevent such an event in the past.
If you had set off for work five seconds earlier you might have hit the child chasing the ball across the road. As it is, you never even saw him.
These kind of non-events occur an unimaginable number of times every day simply because we all excersise our free will and make our own decisions about life.
When you meet someone from the past you say what a small world it is. How many times do you imagine that you just miss any number of people from your past as they get on a train two seconds before you get off it at the next carriage? Or they cross the road behind your car instead of in front of it?
Such are the imponderables of life!

Beagle-eye
30th Aug 2005, 15:47
Brother in Laws Labrador began choking on a piece of meat.. A quick look down its mouth (not pleasant) but couldn’t see anything. It was loosing the battle and getting that glassy, panicking look in its eyes so I tried the Heimlich manoeuvre. Probably looked a bit perverted but it did the trick and a lump of half chewed meat shot across the floor with impressive speed.

Ever since then the Heimlich manoeuvre has been rechristened the ‘doglick manoeuvre” :ok:

bigfatsweatysock
30th Aug 2005, 16:09
So many heros and not enough medals :ok:

Flintstone you are undoutably the most heroic, you missed the bit about wrestling manfully with the controls to avoid the handicapped orphan's school.

My life is a disaster so no stories of macho derringdo from me.

:bored:

Grainger
30th Aug 2005, 16:46
First on the scene of a head-on car smash once. Small car (could have been a Fiesta or similar) came across the central reservation and smacked into the guy in front of me, bringing both to an instant halt. Still don't know how I stopped in time !

Split-second decision time. On the face of it the guy from my side of the road may have seemed worst off - he was a real sight with blood everywhere . . . but he was going on about his insurance so I knew he wasn't badly hurt and left him to it.

The girl in the Fiesta, on the other hand was mighty quiet. At least I think it was a Fiesta - it was about half its original length (the spare tyre was on the passenger seat :eek: ). A few other cars had pulled up by now so I got someone to phone for an ambulance and set about clearing the debris off her.

She was badly trapped -- no way was I going to try and move her. Just sat for what seemed like ages holding her hand and telling her that everything was going to be OK, the ambulance was coming and so on. I don't know if she could hear me but I just kept telling her that over and over again.

Must have only been ten minutes but it felt like for ever. The ambulance crew arrived, got a drip into her and my role was over.

Sat shaking in a pub for a little while after that one.

Foss
30th Aug 2005, 18:47
Rescued a guy from a mountain once in an endurance/navigation competition. He was heavy. Fat people should be banned from mountain tops miles away from anyway.

But he'd had a bad fall, his mate had ABANDONED HIM, he couldn't walk and was blundering around in the pi5sing rain soaked, bleeding and it was getting dark. So me and a mate half carried him down. Even if he could have walked, he would still have been out overnight because he had no map, even if he had a map, he had no compass.

Took something like eight hours to get him down.
No mobiles then. And he drank all my water.

On another occaison found another poor guy, but he got a helicopter ride down, he was very dead. :(

Chacha
30th Aug 2005, 19:02
I used to teach swimming but had to give it up due to family commitments! .. This little girl in our club which was a competitive club got a fright, as she ran round the pool and fell in .. The mother took the girl out of the club for a few weeks but wanted her to return .. I said let me assess her .. she was not any further forward .. My two daughters who are competitive swimmers asked if they could try and get this girl back into the water .. Within half an hour that child was swimming like a fish .. Now she swims regularly and is diving of the first board, not bad for a six year old .. My two swam like fish by the age of three and are very water confident and I am so proud of them! .. They were the ones who got that child back into the pool when no other instructor could and I mean instructors who have pupils that swim in the Scottish Teams and travel all over .. :ok:

Its amazing what kids can do that adults can't! .. :{