PDA

View Full Version : BA, CX or CV?

on the run
29th Aug 2005, 17:37
Have been offered BA FO on long haul, CX SO based in HKG, and CV FO.

What do you think is the best?

Would like to live in Europe for many reasons which are not important here.

With BA long haul roster is ok for the moment, but later down the road one upgrades to the short haul fleet, and has to move to the UK?

With CX a few years in HKG as SO. And as FO come to Europe, is that possible with low seniority as FO in CX? When the upgrade to CMD comes, back to HKG?

With CV, always based in Europe, but you work a lot, more than the other carriers. Maybe the new CWA will give more time off?

What do you think?

Hand Solo
29th Aug 2005, 17:48
Who's CV?

No need to live in the UK as a BA shorthaul captain. There are guys lving in Ireland and the Netherlands as far as I know, plus countless commuters from Scotland and Northern Ireland, which to all intents and purposes is little different to commuting from the nearer parts of Europe. Lots of short haul cabin crew commuting from all parts of europe too.

flite idol
29th Aug 2005, 18:58
If you had truly been interviewed by these airlines and had job offers from them you should know the answers yourself!

AIRWAY
29th Aug 2005, 19:04
I am also curious like HS to know who "CV" is... :O

Using Rsv fuel
29th Aug 2005, 19:05
I'm facing the same problem concerning Cargolux... Staying where I am, having decent rosters with plenty of days off and getting an upgrade soon on the A320 or going there to fly the 400 worldwide in a financially solid airline, but be away from home a lot.

I was hoping for an improvement of the conditions at CV (more days at home), but I've been told from a good friend flying there that they just received a letter from the management saying that they can't afford to reduce the pilot's productivity...

Maybe some insiders can give us their point of view.

Riker
30th Aug 2005, 02:23
Depends on where you want to live in my book. CV has a horrible schedule but it will allow you to fly the venerable 400 if that is what you desire.

CX is great and will allow you to fly the 400 (cruise pilot at first), but you will likely have to live in Hong Kong initially as an SO I believe. I know that a LHR base exists for CX but I don't know if SO newhires can bid it at the beginning. You would get great exposure to Asia obviously.

BA longhaul probably means 777 FO. I have heard it is a great airplane although you will likely be on reserve and fly many Transatlantic or ME flights for the first 3 years or so, you will be able to live in Europe if that is your preference.

I think CV would be great if the schedule were not so bad because the opportunity to fly the 400 worldwide would be great if it weren't so exhausting with so many days gone...

Good luck and let us know which you choose...

on the run
30th Aug 2005, 07:32
CV is Cargolux, if it is still unclear to some.

I have no reason to lie about been offered these three jobs. Am a captain on a medium in Europe at the moment. And further to flite idol's reply, I really don't know the answer after been offered these jobs. It sounds so obvious to you, so what would you say?

BA is FO on 777, CX is SO on 744 or 340 (not decided yet), and CV is FO on 744.

I've seen that letter from CV management about productivity, and it seems like it might take somewhat longer time to get better rosters.

There are many things I don't like about CX and BA, among others just being a number in a hugh organisation. But yet, they are nice companies. But in the future ahead, I thing BA will suffer most, and also CX will be faced with difficult competition in SE Asia with many new low cost around (even long haul).

Maybe sound like I favour CV, but even them has few disadvantages.

Within two weeks I know the answer.

Please, has anyone else around here made a choice between these airlines, or maybe just between two of them?

Khaosai
30th Aug 2005, 12:31
Hi, nice situation to be in. I would go for Cathay first, but as a current skipper would you be prepared to go and do the second officer bit for a few years. BA would be my second choice, but time to widebody command would need to be addressed. That leaves Cargolux in third spot due to what has already been mentioned regarding the long trips. Shame they cannot come up with month on, month off or similar, because that would change all of the above personally. I am guessing, but financially, same order as above. Good luck and enjoy. Rgds.

corporal klinger
30th Aug 2005, 12:53
what did they tell you about time to command at CV ?

I am with CX , freight around 4-7 years, pax 8+.

I heard that New Joiners at CV are looking at a VERY long time in the right seat..

Riker
30th Aug 2005, 13:54
Flying the 400 for CV would be nice, but I've heard you can be away from base as much as 21 days per month.... Not the best QOL unless you enjoy hotel rooms.

BA sounds like a better bet if you want to stay in Europe.

flite idol
30th Aug 2005, 18:38
Settle down mate, your a better man than me if you can pass two or three of the toughest selection courses in the biz! I would not have a snowball`s chance in hell. Congrats anyway but why would you consider going from captain on a medium (737/A320 ?) type to second officer in HK? They usually offer 744 fo on the freighter fleet to folks with your level of experience. BA would be my choice if I were still in my 20`s (which I`m not!) are you? The best of luck with your decision and keep us informed!

coded_messages
30th Aug 2005, 19:57
CX is not so much of a good idea! Have you tried VS?

flyA380
31st Aug 2005, 07:38
If you plan to commute, the B777 sector at BA is absolutely ok: most of the flights leave after noon and come back (two nights later) before or around noon.

What is maybe worth asking is this: can one pass right hand seat to left hand seat in a BA long haul airliner without having to pass via the A320? 'Cause then commuting would be more challenging...

mile.high
1st Sep 2005, 07:39
had a similar dilema a couple of years ago but it was with EK and CV, in the end went for CV and am very happy here, as is the family, and as we all know if they're happy then so are you:O
Fact of the matter is, is that like "ALL" airlines CV has a few unresolved issue's in rostering dept, but then in a calender year, u will have aprox 6 months off here. Because we are not a self loading cargo carrier, we do trips that may range from short haul to very long haul, i.e. from 20mins to being away 17 days....but that's an extreme, on average about 5-7 days at a time, with some exellent flying, to place's you'll never go with the "big boys" landing at aiport's from !013 right up to 9300', with some partying thrown in, and time at any particular destination ranging from min rest to 5 days down route.
In all, I have mates with CX(f) BA, VS and EK, and most of them love where they are but all are agreed that if it's a variaty for flying then CV is definatley the best choice so you pay's your money, you take your chance's....
Good luck.
let us know where u go!!!

ETOPS
1st Sep 2005, 08:00
can one pass right hand seat to left hand seat in a BA long haul airliner without having to pass via the A320?

Yes, but plan on a few years waiting time. Current estimates vary from around 10 to 15 years. All speculation of course.........

Riker
1st Sep 2005, 13:35
Mile.high,

Thanks for your comments regarding CV. Can you confirm that many CV pilots are spending in upwards of 21 days per month on the road? Is that misinformation from other threads on this forum or is that typical? Clearly, if CV had a decent schedule then it would be a very attractive career choice - but a number of questions remain related to how good or how bad the schedule can be for newhires and senior pilots....

Appreciate any clarification about "typical" days away from base per month...

mile.high
1st Sep 2005, 15:34
Riker,
if you want to pm me, i will give you all the info u want, plus my rosters for the last 2 years.... so u can see for yourself, if you look at it this way the guys are always complaining but never leave......;) wonder why?
I've also got a mate in CXf who could help u if you require.

Cheers off for a beer

Milehigh

Riker
3rd Sep 2005, 02:24
mile.high,

Check your PM. Cheers

on the run
6th Sep 2005, 07:26
Some of you earlier asked for what I finally decided.

Well, the decision was made a few days ago, and it was not easy, but I went for CV.

Many reasons, and all of them are very personal. I mean, what's important for me isn't necessary important for the next person.

(If someone is really interested they can PM me. Also abt the selection process.)

One very important factor is that CV is a relatively small company, abt 350 pilots.

If any of you have been through the same luxurious dilemma, you know it's not easy. What is good for you today, but also in ten and 20 years?

Good luck all!

flite idol
6th Sep 2005, 13:25
Never a truer word spoken (or written). You really dont` know for a decade if you made the correct decision. OTR, congrats on the decision you made and that was an amazing accomplishment to have concurrent job offers from three world class airlines! I could do that only in my dreams...................

klink
6th Sep 2005, 13:57
Great news!
What month will you start?
BTW, for those who asked; At the current rate of upgrades, retirements etc. You're looking at around 13 years to command at CV. But 13 years is an awfully long time in aviation, in which anything can happen.

Riker
7th Sep 2005, 16:08
on the run,

Great news! Difficult decision given many great choices. Regardless, you will now get to see the world and fly the venerable 400 - I am sure many people out there would take that opportunity at the drop of a hat.

Let us know what you think when you get there...

CR2
12th Sep 2005, 14:08
on the run: if you want any tips/advice on LUX, drop me a line. Have been with CV since '89.
Just saw this thread now. By the way, welcome!.