PDA

View Full Version : What went wong with Glen Macraths ashes prediction?

Pin Head
29th Aug 2005, 11:18
He said it would be a whitewash 5 - 0 to the visitors? Why was his prediction wrong?

Transition Layer
29th Aug 2005, 11:24
Because the man in question has been injured...pretty simple really.

Plus selectors have persisted with Hayden and Martyn, both of whom are past their best. Langer is just hanging in by a thread.

TL

InTransit
29th Aug 2005, 11:30
Okay...so not quite the 5-0 whitewash that a lot of people (not just oh ah glen mcgrath) were predicting.

Mind you, if the aussies used substitute fielders half as much as the english, then the injury toll might have been very different! ;)

Been good to see a couple of blinders, but, the aussies will THRASH england in the fifth test! :ok:

haughtney1
29th Aug 2005, 13:04
Quite simply..out thought..and out played.

Glenn McGrath...fantastic cricketer..but also..fantastically arrogant, and utterly wrong. Why was he wrong?...his injury...the Oz top order being out of sorts..Gillespe being exposed for the chump he is on helpful wickets, and Ponting being tatically inept.

Man for man (other than Warne) the english are more than a match for the aussies at the moment.

5th test prediction...Draw or English win.

:ok:

MOR
29th Aug 2005, 13:45
Agree absolutely.

For me, the Aussie mindset was graphically illustrated by Ponting yesterday. Loses his wicket, and embarks on a petulant rant about substitute fielders. Never mind that the run wasn't on in the first place. At least he lost 75% of his match fee.

Self-absorbed when they win, and childishly blaming the rules when they lose... and that, gentlemen, is not cricket.

England will no doubt put them in their place next week.

Excellent! :ok:

AIRWAY
29th Aug 2005, 14:16
Hmmm, england had the edge yesterday and previously, but i don't think they have the ability to win a game by a good margin, they haven't proved that yet, it's always a close call, i still think Australia will win the last game.

:}

Pin Head
29th Aug 2005, 17:38
Thanks people. I will be at the victory party in Trafalger Square. Hope to see you all there.

:ok: :ok: :ok:

Super Cecil
29th Aug 2005, 20:02
Why is it when the Poms win it's "only just" or "only by 4 wickets" where as when the Arrogant ones go close it's a "Valiant win by 1 wicket" or "well fought draw"?

At least the game's watchable now, lets hope the Poms win the next one and cricket will be watchable for the next 5 years or so.

kiwiman
30th Aug 2005, 04:35
Don't get me wrong - I am usually quite keen on a bit of McGrath bashing - but I think the press have manipulated his words a little bit.

McGrath was asked before the series started for a prediction. He said that the Aussies are always very positive and go into each match believing that they will win it, and therefore he said, on that basis he was looking at a 5-0 result.

Splitting hairs? Maybe, but I don't think in its full context, it was quite as arogant as what is being made out - and that's from a Kiwi!

HEALY
30th Aug 2005, 05:42
My 2 cents worth

- The Aussies have been unsettled right from day one. Scandals with Andrew Symonds and Warnie would surely have taken its toll. However just like an AFL team which has a large issue like new coaches or injuries they always go out and win the next week purely as a cover to prove nothing is wrong...this can not be sustained. First test at Lords is a perfect example.

- It was certainly bad luck with McGraths injury but it was just like putting stones in a run up bay....asking for trouble. Leaving balls on the ground playing rugby is just plain negligence.

- The English team did away with older players mentally scarred from previous ashes series and replaced with new younger players who have a f##k y## approach to the aussies. They have not been intimidated and not afraid to hang in.

Plus they have played better cricket

George Tower
1st Sep 2005, 06:20
Fortunately for us poms Glenn's prediction hasn't come true, partly based on the fact that I think it was just a bit of gamesmanship and secondly his injury.

I think a fully fit McGrath could have got stuck into the England top order in a way that the other seamers haven't been able to.

Hayden had proved himself to be a bit of a chump and Martyn seems to have no heart. Can't understand why Hussey isn't in your test team as he looks the part. And if England with all our conservative ways can opt for a guy like Peterson, then I can't understand why you don't go in with a guy like Symonds. Both supposedly one day players with very healthy first class averages.

I think Michael Vaughan has played it exactly right - I recall at the start of the series Ponting was trying to be very matey, and oh so concerned about the spirit of the game. I'm sure previous generations of English sides may have fallen for that. I can't help but give a wry smile about all the whinging coming out of the Australian camp right now.

Hope the Ashes come home as it's been a long wait.