PDA

View Full Version : 2nd most dangerous job?

rotornut
29th Aug 2005, 10:17
http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/26/pf/jobs_jeopardy/index.htm

Konkordski
29th Aug 2005, 10:34
Aircraft pilots matched that death rate of 92.4 and 109 of them died on the job. Many of these were in the general aviation category, small aircraft manned by bush pilots, air-taxi pilots, and crop-dusters.

Not commercial pilots, in other words.

So you'll have to find another way of impressing birds, because your stories of being in a "death-defying" profession ain't gonna wash... ;)

Complex_Type
29th Aug 2005, 11:17
Not commercial pilots, in other words.

Yes, commercial pilots in any words.

These people using GA aircraft to fly for their jobs are as commercial as anyone else, the law requires them to be.

I think you might have meant not airline pilots in other words.

Kaptin M
29th Aug 2005, 12:37
"Many of these were in the general aviation category, small aircraft manned by bush pilots, air-taxi pilots, and crop-dusters."

That's the path that just about 100% of us HAD to tread, and survive - in the world of COMMERCIAL AVIATION, before moving on to other fields, such as airlines.
Many of US elected to remain in those previously mentioned areas of COMMERCIAL aviation, because that is where THEIR passion and/or field of COMMERCIAL AVIATION EXPERTISE lies.

Envious "konkordski"??
Or just another, "can't quite make it" wannabe?? :}

Pilots do it HIGHER (and the birds love it!!) :p

Konkordski
29th Aug 2005, 13:31
Pedantics aside, when you're firebombing a forest in a converted WWII-era tin bucket which should have retired 10 years ago, performing a low-level night-strike in enemy territory, or trying to balance a chopper in a gale during a sea rescue, then you'll impress me. Crop-spraying might earn you a bit of kudos too.

Outside of extreme circumstances, I'd argue that aviation tends to get dangerous only when someone isn't doing their job properly, or doesn't follow the rules and precautions.

Tell you what...go work down a Chinese mine, walk high steel, operate a TV camera in a war zone, go trawler fishing in the North Atlantic, patrol Iraq...then come back and talk about dangerous jobs. :suspect:

BossEyed
29th Aug 2005, 14:00
Who was trying to impress you, Konkordski?

A310GUY
29th Aug 2005, 14:28
Being hungry and nothing to eat but a crew meal!
Now that is dangerous.

kooyheier
29th Aug 2005, 14:35
You said it A310Guy; Not the first time someone has had food posioning from the lovely food we eat on board.
And I have first hand experience on that:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :ugh:

Anyway, back to the Thread

cheerio:cool:

Jerricho
29th Aug 2005, 14:47
I'd argue that aviation tends to get dangerous only when...........

Konko me old, I think you had better add a few more to that list. A thunderstorm might be a good place to start ;)

Sleeve Wing
29th Aug 2005, 14:49
Come on, guys.
Don't be drawn by Konkordski.
Read his profile.
He shouldn't even be here ..........unless there are commercial radio control modellers.........and he's even a wannabee in that sphere !!

:yuk:

Gerhardt
29th Aug 2005, 14:56
Just read his profile. Gourmet cooking? Could that be Gate Gourmet by any chance?

delta-golf
29th Aug 2005, 15:03
Perhaps PPrune needs a new forum entitled "impressing Konkordski " !!

Oh sorry, didn't realise that wasn't rotornuts intention when he posted ;)

Jerricho
29th Aug 2005, 15:45
Now, now, you guys leave my friend Konko alone.

He can whip up a mean Aeroplane jelly ;) :p

pilotbear
29th Aug 2005, 16:18
AS a 'Commercial Pilot' I have done floatplane flying in the high alpine mountains of BC Canada and low level Forestry Fire patrol and it is F***ing dangerous. Anyone with any comments to the contrary has never done it or is lying.

Bigmouth
29th Aug 2005, 17:13
I have had two friends and several colleagues, from general aviation to major airline, go to work one day and not come back.
If you haven't, you're very lucky and should count your blessings instead of making flippant and ignorant remarks on this site.

Konkordski
29th Aug 2005, 17:13
Jerricho old son, I think a thunderstorm still counts as extreme circumstances...but I take your point. Wasn't an exhaustive list ;)

The rest of you...if you can't work out what I said, it's not worth explaining. I'll just go back to me jelly... :rolleyes:

Flintstone
30th Aug 2005, 00:08
Konkordski.

If you despise pilots so much why do you come here?

I too have lost friends who went out to do a normal days work and never came home. Might I suggest you take your own advice and refrain from commenting on something until you've had first hand experience?

Until that (unlikely) day, wind your neck in.

multime
30th Aug 2005, 04:47
Aerial spraying cotton under wires at night count ?.
Perhaps fire bombing in the snowy mountains last summer in Australia,s heat!.
Guess we do it for a reason?
ENJOY YOUR LUNCH ? - THANK AN AG PILOT !!
multi:E

currawong
30th Aug 2005, 09:30
Big words for a cone head.

All talk and no trousers, methinks.

Still, being a Chinese miner, walking high steel, Tv cameraman in a war zone, trawlerman in north Atlantic Iraq patrolling electrical engineer does make you somewhat of a hero.

Or have I misunderstood and you don't do these things, just talk about others.

Makes you a bit of a 10%er, doesn't it?

Kalium Chloride
30th Aug 2005, 09:56
Can't see what the fuss is about. Konko was clearly talking about airline pilots (thread didn't start in the Ag Flying forum) and suggested that they don't have a particularly dangerous job. Pussonally I think he's right. The airline safety figures bear that out and between Russian mining and a cosy Airbus cockpit I know which would be safer for me.

He didn't say anything about other types of flying, and from what I read he acknowledges and respect pilots in the really dodgy jobs. Where does he say he despises pilots?????

Sounds like some of you took a lighthearted comment about crap statistics way too seriously and are getting off on giving someone a hard time. Why? Because he's a cook? Way to go.

Super Cecil
30th Aug 2005, 10:44
Currawong and Multitime, you blokes know how dangerous flying can be, constant updates and all that paperwork, I've had 2 papercuts so far this year. :8

Jerricho
30th Aug 2005, 19:45
Because he's a cook?

Ever seen Under Siege??? ;) :p

PorcoRosso
30th Aug 2005, 23:43
a thunderstorm still counts as extreme circumstances

That's not only an extreme circumstance, it's occuring quite often, actually, and can make life interesting ...possibly dangerous . ;)

ground to fly
31st Aug 2005, 12:50
Konkordski,
Air-taxi, Cropdusters, charter pilots are commercial pilots. In other words, you need a CPL to have any hope of even getting one of these jobs. Not an easy or inexpensive feat. Half the airline guys in this country were in those jobs only a few years ago. Anyway, see ya:ok:

Konkordski
31st Aug 2005, 15:42
Air-taxi, Cropdusters, charter pilots are commercial pilots.

I understand perfectly, and I'm not disagreeing. But where I come from the term 'commercial pilot' is taken to mean 'airline pilot' - too much for some here to work out, hence the brickbats about my original comment.

Still, what do I know? Gotta get my pies out of the oven...

Flintstone
31st Aug 2005, 16:25
But where I come from the term 'commercial pilot' is taken to mean 'airline pilot'

Maybe in your kitchen but I think the general British public know that airlines aren't the only commercial pilots.

As for...
too much for some here to work out some might take that as the comments of a troll. Not me though.

North Shore
22nd Sep 2005, 17:15
Maybe in your kitchen but I think the general British public know that airlines aren't the only commercial pilots

I doubt that the general public is that much more aware of aviation semantics in the UK than Canada; I've lost count of the times that I've been asked at parties "are you going to go commercial soon?" Commercial, in this case, being a synonym for airline.

That being said, I wonder how 'flight safety' is calculated? Flying hours is one way - and makes flying look safe, while #'s of takeoffs/landings could be another (given that most accidents are caused by people hitting the ground, and not other in-flight aircraft.) I suspect that if airlines were looked at in this manner, they would be somewhat less safe than they are....

AT502
22nd Sep 2005, 21:19
KOnkordski or whatever your name is.............

your welcome to come and spend a night with me this coming cotton season.

I wonder if flying around under powelines at night time dodging storms will cause you to break into a sweat?

You don't know what you're talking about.

AT502:}

ginjockey
27th Sep 2005, 03:30
Based on the way you guys carry on, there's a few of you posting here who would benefit aviation in general if you helped "up" those statistics ..............

tinpis
27th Sep 2005, 04:11
:hmm: ...Avy covered in aeroplane jelly.....

Complex_Type
28th Sep 2005, 18:29
But where I come from the term 'commercial pilot' is taken to mean 'airline pilot'

OK, when you are conversing with people 'where you come' then your use of the term is fair enough.

However, your post was on pprune where those very commercial pilots flying GA aircraft frequent.