PDA

View Full Version : Beadwindow

terry walls
29th Aug 2005, 02:02
I have noticed the term 'beadwindow' used by military (UK) pilots to caution against 'indiscretions' in the forums when sensitive matters are being discussed.

I know what it means (by inference) but could someone please explain where the term comes from.

It has me quite interested.

TJW

Load Toad
29th Aug 2005, 03:08
Google is your friend:

http://www.tpub.com/content/istts/14226/css/14226_45.htm

Aeronut
29th Aug 2005, 11:36
Beadwindow, OUT.

norvenmunky
29th Aug 2005, 17:52
BEEFCURTAINS.......it certainly worked on many occasions, for some reason the hierarchy got a tad pi$$d off with it!

oldpinger
30th Aug 2005, 09:47
The Phrase "Ducks on the Pond" is also quite useful, used to signify someone important has just plugged into the aircraft intercom- avoids embarassment when the admirals wife is listening in.....
Loads of stories I'm sure of people getting caught out, like the time I didn't know the female maintainer was in fact connected to the intercom via a long lead during a ground run.....:O

Data-Lynx
30th Aug 2005, 15:38
Ah TJW, does ‘quite interested’ stretch to reading Allied Communications Publications (ACP)? Try the instructions on Beadwindow that covers disclosure of Essential Elements of Friendly Information (EEFI) in Radio Telephone Procedures at para 803 in ACP 125(F) (dated Sep 01): http://www.jcs.mil/j6/cceb/acps/acp125f.pdf

As for dropping my foot in it within the aircraft, oldpinger also offers a useful lesson in rotary crew co-operation: upset your crewman and he/she may not tell the front seats when a senior plugs in his own headset.

Pie Man
30th Aug 2005, 18:59
You must mean the BREADWINDOW system!

Explanation:

Late 80s at MPA and a call to tower: "Breadwindow3 MPA Tower" lots of strange callsigns down their so replied "Breadwindow3 MPA tower pass your message".

After some heated words an Army 2nd Lt came to the tower to complain we had been using aircraft types on the Storno and had we not heard of the Breadwindow system!

It kept us amused for some days!

PM