View Full Version : Plane crash video

Farrell
29th Aug 2005, 00:43
This is the latest offering from big-boys

Were folks killed in this accident?

http://media4.big-boys.com/content/oldplanecrash.wmv

ehwatezedoing
29th Aug 2005, 01:03
Don't have the detail but if I remember well, they might just have forgotten to remove a control lock !

:(

Farrell
29th Aug 2005, 01:06
My God that's so sad.

Ozzy
29th Aug 2005, 01:09
Christ, what is your point of showing this? People died. I guess that's enough for me.

Ozzy

Onan the Clumsy
29th Aug 2005, 01:28
Were folks killed in this accident? I would imagine so :( would it be possible to think otherwise?

Farrell
29th Aug 2005, 03:41
It's just that someone else said that it looked staged - but i don't know
i'm going to delete the post i think

Onan the Clumsy
29th Aug 2005, 04:09
There's a cut after it goes in.

I checked NTSB for the date (13 years ago yesterday :bored: ) but didn't see anything.

Buster Hyman
29th Aug 2005, 04:23
Found a discussion about it on Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/2297994/). 3 crew died.

pigboat
29th Aug 2005, 04:29
The airplane is a DHC-4 Caribou. If you have the link to the accident database Onan, look up DHC-4 accidents from 1992. I seem to remember something like an aircraft came off a major inspection and the ailerons had been connected in reverse. I don't remember if it was a Caribou though.

That happened to a friend of mine in a Do-28. The airplane had been repainted, and the ailerons were removed for balancing. On re-assembly, they were connected in reverse. He walked away from the ensuing crash with a few scrapes.

ehwatezedoing
29th Aug 2005, 06:03
Not quite Pigboat but same ending result.

Digged from an Air Safety seminar:

The Caribou crew who took off without confirming the control gust locks were disengaged and who took off without completing the required six-point check to ensure free movement of the flight controls. :(

BOFH
29th Aug 2005, 06:28
Pigboat
ailerons had been connected in reverse.

That was the Avro Tudor(?) which claimed Chadwick, I think. Too awful to contemplate.

Your friend bought a lottery ticket afterwards, I hope.

Please don't delete the post, Farrell. It might remind someone to check, then check, and check.

BOFH

Konkordski
29th Aug 2005, 09:25
Details, for those who want to know:

This accident ironically occurred in Manitoba, at Gimli – the site of the Air Canada 767 fuel-exhaustion incident.

The aircraft involved was an experimental, modified version of the Caribou which had undergone conversion to turbine power, and was being tested to check fuel and hydraulic systems on the date of the crash, 27 August 1992.

Although the aircraft apparently rotates and climbs normally, photographic evidence indicates that control-surface movement was minimal, suggesting that the gust-locks were engaged.

While there was elevator movement upon rotation, the elevators returned to the neutral position and remained there. This is in line with the operation of the gust-lock – if the control surfaces are not in the neutral position when the lock is engaged, movement of the surfaces through neutral will engage it.

In addition to preventing control-surface movement, the gust-lock lever is supposed to inhibit the power levers to prevent the pilot from applying take-off power. It was found that the aircraft’s take-off distance was 20% longer than expected.

Wreckage analysis determined that the rudder lock was fully engaged and the aileron lock had only been disengaged at the moment of impact, supporting the conclusion that the gust-lock system had not been fully disengaged ahead of the flight, and that at least some of the locks had engaged after take-off.

Moral of the story: Check you have complete, free movement of all your control surfaces before you go anywhere.

TheFlyingSquirrel
29th Aug 2005, 10:30
You'll now never forget to check the control locks will you? Fly safe !

Farrell
29th Aug 2005, 19:37
Ok I'll leave the post here........subject to moderator's approval of course

Farrell

AntiCrash
29th Aug 2005, 20:54
That was Perry Niforos the son of the fellow that owned NewCal Aviation in Newcastle Delaware USA. They were fitting turbines to the Caribou to make a better ship of it. A horrible tragedy it was.

Back at that time we were looking at the Buffalo as a freighter for some work in Africa. I had spoken to them on the phone a few times about parts. They were the largest Caribou parts supplier there was.

pigboat
30th Aug 2005, 04:04
BOFH - ehwatz, my friend rolled it right after lift-off. The Doink usually flew at about 50 kt, and the wind was right right down the street at 20 or so. The airplane picked up a wing and just kept on rolling when Al tried to correct. He immediately realized what was happening and chopped both engines. The right wing and the lower stub wing and engine bore most of the impact, and the since Dornier was built like a brick shitehouse and he was wearing the shoulder harness and lap belt he got lucky.

AC, I have a friend who lives in Gimli - flies the CL215 dropping water on fires. I'll ask him if he remembers that accident the next time I talk to him.

piperboy84
30th Aug 2005, 04:27
same thing happened at Santa Monica (SMO) guy in an Aerostar going on a hot date, to busy to do run up/pre flight checks, did not remove yoke lock , straight of end of runway, was unable to rotate. both on board broon breed

LowNSlow
30th Aug 2005, 07:43
Didn't the Dan Dare HS748 (1984 ish) go off the runway at Sumburgh for the same reason?