PDA

View Full Version : Aborigines and Assegais.

cavortingcheetah
28th Aug 2005, 19:39
;)

Some little time ago there was a post on Pprune asking about thongs on assegais.
I have been in touch with the War Museum in JHB which can throw no light on this subject.
But, and however, their research department did come up with the following rather amusing addendum to the tale:

The Aboriginal throwing stick:

It was a flat paddle like piece of wood tapered down to a
handle at one end rather like a primitive very thin cricket bat. At the
other was a small spike about one and a half inches long with a flattened
shaft. This shaft matched a small projection on the paddle, and was lashed
to it by a thong at the shaft end. You now have a paddle with a handle at
the top of which is a spike that hinges at the furthest end from your hand.
A spear with a hole drilled in the back was placed on the paddle with the
spike sticking into the end of the spear. When the paddle was swept through
a 180 degree throw from horizontal with the spike behind you to horizontal
with the spike at the far end away from you the spear supported on the
paddle point forward and held in place by the fingers holding the "handle".
This virtually whipped the spear with considerable force at your target.

He He He
:p

airship
28th Aug 2005, 20:12
Here's (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=185000&highlight=assegai) the thread you were looking for...yer lazy buggah (I mean feline) ;)

BTW, I stand a good chance of being called a scab by TIC now - you realise that don't you?! :{

cavortingcheetah
28th Aug 2005, 20:21
;)

Gott sie dank! ( I think.)

I suppose that cats can be buggahs. After all, they can be lesbians. What, after all, are sex shops for if not to purvey the necessary means for those so afflicted to compensate for their inferiority in the wonderful word of what should really be the divinely intended male dominated society!:p

Oh yes. One must remember that cheetahs are not cats!:D

tony draper
28th Aug 2005, 20:24
The throwing stick associated with spears of javelines has prolly been around for 50,000 years, tiz a simple engineering solution to the problem of gaining more range from arm and shoulder thrown projectiles, twas probably discovered independently by various cultures.
The thing that puzzles me is the so called paleolithic hand axe, this is a lump or rock fashioned into a broad axe head type shape,and according to the archeologist was held in the hand when in use, I once asked a archeologist why they thought people bright enough to make such a object were not bright enough have figured out that fitting this head to a shaft would increase its efficiency twenty fold,?
Of course the wooden shafts do not survive, so these objects are hand axes and that has become holy writ, they are hand axes end of story.
:cool: :rolleyes:

DishMan
28th Aug 2005, 21:45
I remember as a youngster making "Dutch arows" with my Dad.
3' lenght of 1/4" dowling with a lead pipe moulded around the pointy end and a notch in the aft end and heaving with a cord (knotted at one end and wrapped aound dowel to create "hitch" effect.....could launch a good 80-100metres..... only ever hit the ground mind you..:rolleyes:

Rollingthunder
29th Aug 2005, 02:42
(Oom-yacka-wurka, oom-yacka-wurka, oom-yacka-wurka)

In the bad backlands of Australia
Many years ago,
The aborigine tribes were meeting,
Having a big pow-wow.

(Oom-yacka-wurka, oom-yacka-wurka)

"We got a lot of trouble, Chief,
On account of your son Mack."
"My boy Mack? Why, what's wrong with him?"
Drake: My boomerang won't come back.
"Your boomerang won't come back?"

Drake: My boomerang won't come back,
My boomerang won't come back,
I've waved the thing all over the place,
Practised till I was black in the face,
I'm a big disgrace to the Aborigine race,
My boomerang won't come back.

Drake: I can ride a kangaroo (yeah yeah)
Make kinkajou stew (yeah yeah)
But I'm a big disgrace to the Aborigine race,

They banished him from the tribe then
And sent him on his way,
He had a backless boomerang
So here he could not stay.

(Outback animal noises.)

Drake: [Spoken] This is nice, innit? Getting banished at my time of life. What a way to spend an evening: sitting on a rock in the middle of the desert with me boomerang in me hand. I shall very likely get bushwhacked.

(An animal roars; Drake shrieks back.)

Drake: Get out of it! You nasty bushwhacking animal. Think I'll make a nice cup of tea. (Doing, doing, doing...) Good gracious! There goes a kangaroo. I must have a practice with me boomerang: hit him right behind the left earhole. Now then, slowly back.

[Gruff voice] If you throw that thing at me, I'll jump right on your head. (It chuckles and bounces away.)

Drake: Innit marvellous? Got a land full of kangaroos and I had to pick that one.

For three long months he sat there
Or maybe it was four,
Then an old old man in a kangaroo skin
Came a-knocking at his door.

"Well, I'm the local witch doctor, son,
They call me George Alfred Black.
Now tell me, what's your trouble, boy?"
Drake: My boomerang won't come back.
"Your boomerang won't come back?"

Drake: My boomerang won't come back,
My boomerang won't come back,
I've waved the thing all over the place,
Practised till I was black in the face,
I'm a big disgrace to the Aborigine race,

"Don't worry, boy, I know the trick,
And to you I'm gonna show it.
If you want your boomerang to come back,
Well first you've got to... throw it."

Drake: Ooh, yes! Never thought of that. Daddy will be pleased. Must have a go, nyuh-huh! Excuse me. Now then, slowly back... and throw.

(Boomerang whizzes away; a plane approaches and suddenly falls out of the sky.)

Drake: Ooh my God! I've hit the flying doctor. Eee-hee-hee! Can you do first aid?
Witch Doctor: Don't talk to me about first aid, boy, you owe me fourteen chickens, you know, when I learned you to throw the boomerang, you know, first things first.
Drake: Yes, I know that, but I mean, I think on this occasion, you know, you could be a bit more perspective...

Bloody stick.

OH410E
29th Aug 2005, 03:10
The Holden utility or Toyota Landcruiser is the preferred weapon of self mass destruction these days.

Arm out the window
29th Aug 2005, 06:33
Just for a bit of enlightenment for our hemispherically challenged friends, the thing the Australian aborigines used to chuck a spear a long way, as described above by the cheetah, is commonly known as a Woomera - just ask the moderators on the D&G forum.

chuks
29th Aug 2005, 09:23
Does anyone know how to get a javelina to come back, then?