PDA

View Full Version : A fluffy post..req for help..

ex_matelot
28th Aug 2005, 11:10
Im up shit creek negative paddle...

Bird due back from being away 2000 tonight, I said I'd cook her a meal, I have aquired a large shoulder of lamb.The only dealings with lamb I have had before have been with the self-cooking variety that gets brought to you already plated up by a lovely lady.

I dont have a clue how to cook it,temps/time etc.

I have at my disposal all manner of veg/herbs/garlic etc..

Any idea/advice??

Want to do something a little fancy,not just bog standard roast.

Potentially lots of brownie points available for me here if I manage to pull it off-free license top go to the pub whenever for at least a week!!

Ta!

TheFlyingSquirrel
28th Aug 2005, 11:36
we can see who pulls your f***** strings mate !

ex_matelot
28th Aug 2005, 11:39
No!..she pulls something else!!

The rewards from this-if sucessful coulkd be immense!!

Rollingthunder
28th Aug 2005, 11:44
Chef: Deborah Pitter
Your late night cook.

You need:
1 trimmed leg of lamb
1 clove of garlic
Fresh rosemary
I tablespoon olive oil
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Selected vegetables (eg.4 red skinned potatoes, 4 parsnips, 4 carrots, 4 roma tomatoes, 4 onions, 1 red capsicum)
1 cup wine

Method:
Preheat oven to 220C. Make incisions into lamb and insert garlic. Rub meat with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place lamb directly on rack with potatoes or on a rack in an oven tray. Place vegetables of choice in vegetable dish below lamb in oven. Toss with a little olive oil and plenty of rosemary.

Roast lamb for about 1 hour, depending on size. Test with tongs. Rest covered in foil for 15 minutes. When vegetables are tender and golden brown, remove to a warm plate. Pour fat from baking dish and deglaze with wine or balsamic vinegar. Pour pan juices and wine over meat

CarltonBrowne the FO
28th Aug 2005, 11:50
Note: leg and shoulder are very different joints, shoulder having a much higher fat content. Try rubbing the shoulder with a cut clove of garlic and sitting the joint on several sprigs of fresh rosemary and thyme. It will need a longer, slightly cooler cooking time than leg to ensure the excess fat cooks out and it remains tender. Turn the joint over halfway through.

tall and tasty
28th Aug 2005, 11:55
ex_matelot

Have you got time to go out and purchase a good cook book?
Nigella Lawson or Jamie Oliver are not the best but easy to follow and taste.

If not then I love lamb the way the Greeks cook it with loads of Roesemary and roast potatoes or try the one at the bottom:

But

Lamb with an outside layer of fat requires more cooking time than that with little or no fat.

Boned or rolled roasts require more cooking time time per gram (pound) than roasts with bone in.

Lamb should be cooked at low, moderate temperature not higher than 160 C (325 F). Slow cooking ensures a tender, juicy, evenly coloured and delicious final product.

Frozen lamb does not need to be thawed before cooking, but will require approximately 1.5 times the recommended cooking time.

Roast leg, loin, and shoulder cuts at 150 - 190 C (300 - 375 F), rib roasts at 175 - 190 C (350 - 375 F).

Braise frozen thick chops, shanks, and neck slices only slightly longer than comparable defrosted cuts.

Frozen chops and patties should be broiled further from the heat to ensure that the meat does not brown on the outside before it is fully cooked. The time required varies depending on thickness and broiling temperatures.

Marinated Lamb

1 leg lamb, boned
1 large bunch mint, roughly chopped
1 large bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled
17 1/2 ounces (500 grams) natural yoghurt
1/2 (14-ounce/400 gram) can chickpeas, drained and mashed
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon, juiced

Tray Roasted Vegetables:
Baby carrots
Quartered fennel, with its own leafy tops
Quartered red onions
Whole baby turnips
Butternut squash, cut into chunks
Jerusalem artichokes, scrubbed and halved
1/2 (14-ounce/400 gram) can chick peas, drained
Ground cumin
Coriander seeds
Nutmeg
Olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Lamb: Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
Bash up the coriander and mint and mix with the yoghurt, garlic, and seasoning. Reserve half to use as a sauce once the lamb is cooked.
Score the lamb pieces, season with the salt and pepper and mix with half the marinade and the chickpeas, so it is all coated.
Transfer the marinade and lamb to a plastic bag and seal. Place in the refrigerator until required.
To cook, place the meat directly on the oven shelf above the tray of vegetables for approximately 45 minutes.
Vegetables: Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Place all the vegetables in a roasting tray, add the chickpeas, cumin, coriander seeds, nutmeg, sea salt, pepper, and olive oil and toss together.
Cook in the preheated oven for 20 minutes then remove the foil and continue roasting for 20 to 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender and golden.
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 1 to 24 hours
Cook Time: 50 minutes

TnT

airship
28th Aug 2005, 12:01
Well, if you've got any tandoori spice mix handy, I could suggest the following alternative to yer standard roast:

1) Proceed as if you're going to do a normal roast with potatoes in a single pan.
2) Take say 2-3 dessert-spoonfulls of the tandoori spice mixture and if you've got a sweet-tooth like me, a couple of dessert-spoonfulls of sugar, 8-10 cloves of crushed garlic and some salt (DO NOT add any yogurt - it makes everything but especially the spuds go soggy...), make numerous slits about 1cm deep all over (pretend you're the main feature in Nightmare on Elm Street or something...), then rub in the mixture.
3) Pour in a little cooking oil (lamb has quite a lot of fat anyway)and the mix the lot together including the spuds (you want to coat the spuds too).
4) Bung it in the oven on a medium setting (because of the incisions, the lamb will cook a little faster than normal).
5) Turnover once every 15-20 mins. After about 1hr 20m (depending on whether the spuds are ready), turn up the temp. to high for about 10 minutes or so to nicely brown everything.

Enjoy! It also tastes just as great cold in case you need to renew yer energy resources a little later on... :E

tony draper
28th Aug 2005, 12:01
Stick it in a roasting tin,bung it in the oven at gas mark 6/7, forra couple of hours,when its brown its done when its black its fecked, any man should be able to soft boil a egg , iron a shirt ,cook a steak and roast a joint of meat, it int rocket science.
:uhoh: :rolleyes:

M.Mouse
28th Aug 2005, 12:18
Bin the lamb and replace girlfriend.

Buster Hyman
28th Aug 2005, 12:20
How well do you know her? Are you sure she isn't vegetarisn?

tall and tasty
28th Aug 2005, 12:32
If a veggie and likes fish (yes some do)

Salmon Fillet Wrapped in Prosciutto with Herby Lentils, Spinach and Yoghurt

9 ounces lentils
4 (8-ounce) salmon fillets, skinned and pin-boned
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 slices of prosciutto
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 lemon, juiced
2 good handfuls mixed herbs (flat-leaf parsley, basil, and mint), chopped
3 large handfuls spinach, chopped
7 ounces plain yoghurt, lightly seasoned with salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Put the lentils into a pan, cover with water, bring to a boil and simmer until tender. Season the salmon fillets with a little pepper before wrapping them in the prosciutto slices. Leave some of the flesh exposed. Drizzle with olive oil and roast in the oven for around 10 minutes until the prosciutto is golden. Feel free to cook the salmon for less time if pinker is to your liking. Drain away most of the water from the lentils and season carefully with salt, pepper, the lemon juice and olive oil. Just before serving, stir the herbs and spinach into the lentils on a high heat, until wilted. Place on plates with the salmon and finish with a drizzle of lightly seasoned yoghurt.

Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes

I like adding a little JD(Jack Daniels) to the salmon fillets and a tiny graded zest of lemon before wrapping them. Make sure the JD is only a very small amount or things go soggy

TnT

Onan the Clumsy
28th Aug 2005, 12:43
Get her a puppy instead.

then when she falls in love with the puppy, tell her it ate the lamb :ok:

In Japan you can rent pets for a brief amount of time.

ex_matelot
28th Aug 2005, 15:05
Cheers everyone...am doing something which involves the use of red wine which is cool!!

Salmon in proscuitto...like thst idea...off to sainsburys whillst its all cookin!

ta!

Jerricho
28th Aug 2005, 15:13
In Japan you can rent pets for a brief amount of time.

Bet they come out of vending machines as well.

Konkordski
28th Aug 2005, 15:39
Use the lamb joint to club your bird over the head when she comes home, then just bang it in the oven, cook it up, nothing fancy, then offer it to the cops for dinner while you're giving them your alibi.*

*with acknowledgement to Roald Dahl :E

gas path
28th Aug 2005, 15:53
Oh for goodness sake, just take 'er for a bigmac and fries:E

saves on the washing up too...or you could get her to do it whilst you put yer feet up and watch the telly :}

Mind you the end result would probably be:ouch: :ouch:

Secret Squire
28th Aug 2005, 16:55
get a curry in, tis the only chouice

airship
28th Aug 2005, 16:59
Cheers everyone...am doing something which involves the use of red wine which is cool!! A lamb stew...with a dash of red wine?! How uhmmm, original...?! :}

Jerricho
28th Aug 2005, 17:12
Involving red wine?

You gonna get her pissed first?