View Full Version : what helicopter would you choose

whatsarunway
16th Oct 2000, 22:40
Ok you have just won a prize of any helicopter of your choice fuel maintenence and insurance all paid up!!! for one year and you have to give it back, which one would you choose??????????

I think id go for an ec155!

arm the floats
16th Oct 2000, 23:34
This one www.solotrek.com. (http://www.solotrek.com.) !!

piloteddy
17th Oct 2000, 01:06
MD Explorer

Just like the new London Air Ambulance

hover lover
17th Oct 2000, 01:27
Air Wolf - also known as Bell 222 - from the 1980's TV series. Was capable of supersonic flight.

heli lonestar
17th Oct 2000, 06:15
Umm, I'll have a S76C+ please. A brand spankin new one thanks.

[This message has been edited by heli lonestar (edited 17 October 2000).]

WhoNeedsRunways
17th Oct 2000, 10:40
Westland Scout. Ex-military 50's - 90's vintage single engined LOH equivalent, 140kt cruise, 2.5 hour endurance on 160gall tanks !! And £120/hr to run, £100,000 to buy.

Or something brand spanking new like an AH-64, failing that an AH-1.

Fortyodd
20th Oct 2000, 03:08
Have to agree with you Piloteddy. I sat in the new HEMS explorer at Gloucester a couple of weeks ago. Superb.

piloteddy
20th Oct 2000, 03:54
Hey Fortyodd,

Do you have any more info on the new HEMS, or for that matter the old one.

I saw it up at Denham the other day, and yep its fantastic!

Hydraulic Palm Tree
20th Oct 2000, 04:30
Has got to be a Chinook. How else do you carry around the Roll's and the Porka?

If you can't be bothered with the motors, get your friends along, 50 (or more)of them if you like!

HPT

HeliFlight
20th Oct 2000, 11:15
No doubt about it -- BA609 (a helicopter on steroids)

THE FUTURE IS AROUND THE CORNER!! :) :) :)

FlyAny
20th Oct 2000, 17:23
An IFR certified "G" model Cobra. No guns necessary for the first 11 months. Then arm it and let them try to get it back.

[This message has been edited by FlyAny (edited 20 October 2000).]

mriya225
21st Oct 2000, 03:27
I don't know what their reputation is for quality, but some of those newer Eurocopters are pretty!
I think I'd probably end up with a trusty Huey though (sure it's more than I would ever possibly need, but what the hell - I'm a woman http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif)

------------------
Patience is letting your motor idle when you feel like stripping your gears.

greenarrow
21st Oct 2000, 23:32
AS350B2 will give you every thing you need without the overheads and stacks of power to boot!

Fortyodd
22nd Oct 2000, 22:48
Piloteddy,
From a pilots point of view, the visibility is so good it's probably like flying a greenhouse. Every control and switch is within easy reach and there has obviously been a lot of thought gone into getting it right. The cabin is enormous given the overall size of the aircraft. Can't add much more other than, to the best of my knowledge, it's due to start work tomorrow, 23rd October.

B Sousa
27th Oct 2000, 22:54
FlyAny........Gs were great but the Mod S without the Flat Glass would be the ultimate RV.....Strip all the crap, wing stores to consist of Two extra fuel tanks and Two storage pods for Toys. Ammo Bay for misc stuff and you have a cross country machine that would be a kick in the pants. TSU with Camera hook up for the memories. Of Course a top of the line King Panel to get you there.....and a paint job that would get the gals shorts wet

Lu Zuckerman
27th Oct 2000, 23:32
Picking helicopters like the Apache and the Cobra sounds great. In this fantasy, the operating expenses are being picked up. However if they weren't, most of you would pick the Sweizer 300 or the Rotorway. The Apache and the Cobra have some of the highest maintenance rates in the military fleet. (Read MMHFH) Maintenance Manhours/ Flight hour.

------------------
The Cat

solari
28th Oct 2000, 02:40
Lu - If it wasn't fantasy, obviously the new hydraulic R44 - a good, fast four-seater just made better by the great Frank Robinson who has allowed us non-millionaires to experience the delights of rotary flight.

B Sousa
28th Oct 2000, 07:28
Lu, Its a dream world......There are only a handful that can afford them.. When it comes to reality one would have to fly the junk you mentioned.. Its not fun and the ladies dont get Hard Nipples over Robbies or those other things......

Randy_g
11th Nov 2000, 10:19
Since we're talking dream worlds here; I think I'd take a Westland Lynx. Who can argue with superior speed (world record holder for speed) and room for a few friends, a cooler for beer, and a bar-b-que so you can go fishing. A Whiskey model Cobra would be alright as well, but can only take one friend, and no room to haul the b.b.q. A guy needs some comforts in life. ;)

If we're talking real-world here, well that changes things a little. For a light single it would be an R44. It's a good, honest, and inexpensive machine with decent performance. If someone elses nipples don't get hard, who cares. Those pilots who don't like it usually haven't flown it. (so there!!! pffft ;) ) Besides 15 gals/hr vs 25 makes a big statement. For a light single turbine machine, I would want a 520 notar. Lovely handling characteristics, with a little speed. Mind you the EC 120 looks good too, but I'll wait until the bugs are worked out of it. For a light twin I would have an MD Explorer. And for those times when 8 seats aren't enough, I think either a Mil Mi26 or a Bell 214 ST. The Mi26 because there is no substitute for sheer size. We're talking C-130 Hercules size here folks. The 214 for no other reason than it makes the most noise of any helicopter in the world. Nothing beats the sound of rotors with a chord of almost 1 meter. Well thats my list, if you agree then great if you don't well you are entitled to your opinion, and whatever makes you happy.

offshoreigor
11th Nov 2000, 10:49
For fun, the Bell 609

For real work, S92.

Cheers,

OffshoreIgor http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

Flying Lawyer
13th Nov 2000, 01:34
Which helicopter?

Well, during the quieter moments in court when there are a few moments to daydream, it's wig off, helmet on and ...

http://www.gkn-whl.co.uk/images/index_ani.gif

[This message has been edited by Flying Lawyer (edited 12 November 2000).]

Vulture
13th Nov 2000, 02:22
Having flown only a few in my time I would say the Westland Scout rates down there with the R22. Nasty, unreliable piece of work. Lynx was OK but a little frightening at times. Chinook Mk2...well there's a shaggin wagon. Space for the sports car, motor boat, motorbike, bed etc. A delight to IF, sprightly enough handling at low-level, 145 kts cruise, big enough/noisy enough for the most enlarged ego and more power than you can shake a stick at (so long as you don't strap another Chinook underneath). Only problem is that you have to take at least two friends with you to push the cb's back in and read the hyd gauges down the back. For just me and my woman on a sunny day down to the beach...I'll have a Gazelle please. Old but perfectly formed.

Ewan Whosearmy
13th Nov 2000, 22:14
Hughes 5ooE.

The 500E is one sexy mutha, much better than those fat ar*e NOTAR jobbies...

yogibear
14th Nov 2000, 00:10
What helo ?????

Umm I think a cute little BK117....nice twin with enuff space for the boys and the beer...and not to mention a fair bit of grunt...specially when you see the size of some of my friends......hehehe....limited power take-off at sea level...

the bear..

------------------
..AD ASTRA PER NOSTRUM..
(Dont pick your nose on finals)

Desert Rat
14th Nov 2000, 00:13
You boys (and girls) have not read up about your toys!!!! This is a FREE helo....

CH53 Super Stallion

ONE MEAN MOTHER FIRKA OF A HELO!!!!!!!

______D-Rat___________-

Size does count!!!!! Especially when its FREEEEEEEEE....

oleloggerhead
14th Nov 2000, 08:31
I will glady take the Bell 214 ST anyday! Smooth ride at 140 knots and good range! Take the seats out and you can have a party!
returning to lurking,

oleloggerhead

mlec
14th Nov 2000, 11:10
does anyone here have any feedback on the schweizer 330 Im looking to upgrade from a 300C and have been watching the development of the 330 for some time but the sales do not seem to have taken off

offshoreigor
14th Nov 2000, 17:44
Hey Oleloggerhead:

214 ST is great,......until ya have an electrical failure.......ouch! Remember Okanagan!!!!!! 2 fine crews lost and the rest of the fleet grounded. The thing about BELL is they have'nt had an original thought since 1947.

Cheers, OffshoreIgor http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

HeloTeacher
14th Nov 2000, 23:36
For me it would be an R44 or a B206, easy to fly, small enough to land on a secluded little beach, carry the family, and not have to worry about the innumerable systems glitches that stop you from launching on a beautiful day!!

IFR is for work, who wants a 4 hour endurance anyway, and the more gadgets you have, the more of them that can break!

But that's just me :-)

Lu Zuckerman
15th Nov 2000, 08:44
If I knew how to fly it I would pick the Bell J2 Ranger as that was the last good helicopter made by Bell.

------------------
The Cat

rotormatic
16th Nov 2000, 07:03
Soloy Hiller 12E....

Just to putt around in...no pressure to make money or make a boss happy.....

[This message has been edited by rotormatic (edited 16 November 2000).]

Hoverboy
16th Nov 2000, 15:05
If I re-read the original note in this thread, I'm stumped as to why anyone would chose a single engine aircraft.
Also, I must have better engineers than the ones that Heloteacher deals with because I do not find any higher level of unseviceability with the twins I've been flying the last 12 years. You just need sharp engineers and more spares!
Give me redundancy or give me my freedom!
An S61 maintained by the terrific engineers of CHC... take a gander at the looks on the faces of the people when you land just off the shoreline at the cottage and throw out an anchor or taxi up onto the beach... room to party and reliability that keeps them in demand onshore and offshore to this day.
You still only need a double sized tennis court to land in and you've got room for all the neighbours!
You know, an S-64 has those nifty little modules... is it too late to change my vote?
Mr. Sikorsky, you make great helicopters!

offshoreigor
16th Nov 2000, 15:23
HoverBoy, Now yer talkin!

That's pure HEAVY METAL!!!!! There's nothin better than the ole 61 to stir up some fun. The '61 is the Love of my Helicopter Life! You always fall in luvvvvvv with the first one!

Forget the double-size tennis court, just plop her down on a nice secluded lake and throw out the sea anchor!

AARRHHHH!

Cheers, OffshoreIgor http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

PS CHC Engineers are #1!!!!

[This message has been edited by offshoreigor (edited 16 November 2000).]

430 driver
26th Nov 2000, 02:46
As much as I like Sikorsky, I have never flown a smoother helicopter than the 430. For IFR - it's tough to beat (granted - I do prefer the 76's 4 axis autopilot).

seismicpilot
26th Nov 2000, 05:22
DesertRat,
obviously you have Not done your homework!
yes, SIZE does count (says this lady ;)

I claim the Boeing HLH :) although never put into production, it dwarfs all others. My second would be Mil-26...as long as the fuel is free, or I keep flying for Russia...(not on their wages http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

I know one thing for sure, it certainly Would NOT be one of those rediculous, stupid looking tinkertoy p.o.s. robinsons!!!
Hey Fellas! Robby's are NOT a turn-on to the ladies :rolleyes:
so, get manly and fly a real machine, will ya?

until then...
keep the greasy side down!
-SeismicPilot

Cadfael
26th Nov 2000, 13:33
I'll settle for something that keeps going when the terrain beneath the chin bubble sez 'can't land here'..something that doesn't let in more water thru the 'lectric panel over yer head than what's streaming past the window, something that starts when your sitting in the bush at 30 below or 45 above and no-one around for zillion miles, something that has more oil in the engine than leaking out of it. I don't care who makes it or where it comes from, I just want to see the sun rise tomorrow mornin'........ bless you

rotorque
26th Nov 2000, 14:20
What ever happened to the good old CESSNA Heilcopter.

WIREPILOT
29th Nov 2000, 08:15
LOckheed L-86,Please.