PDA

View Full Version : CPL Exams

Erte
28th Aug 2005, 09:42
What should one do to pass these comm exams??? I've done about 400 questions for each subject , is there any way of getting more questions somewhere?!?!

Stayinalive
28th Aug 2005, 09:54
Study?...otherwise more study. No other way

mach decimal 83
28th Aug 2005, 17:58
Hi Erte

My advise to you will be not just not just to study and to do questions, but to actually UNDERSTAND what you are busy studying and answering.

Best of luck and hope everything goes well!!!!

Erte
28th Aug 2005, 18:12
You see I'm doing self studying while I'm working, so I can't find evenig classes or weekend classes. I understand most of the work, but only got 70% for all my subjects the last time 2 times I wrote, so somewhere I'm missing something ......

But thanks for the advise!!!

mach decimal 83
28th Aug 2005, 18:35
Ooooo, okay. ja, that is not the ideal scenario to be in. tell you what I did when I was studying
for my ATPL subjects. I was also flying, pretty much 7 days on, one day off. came back in the evenings,tired and not in the mood to study at all. it is then when you have to force yourself, even it is
just for an hour a day, just to go and sit down and study. that carried on for about 4 months and then I took 2 weeks leave. one to go and write and the one before that, just to study and go over everything again.

wishin you the best the luck

Erte
28th Aug 2005, 18:43
What helps me is that I'm working in an aviation enviroment since I started my PPL and Comm, so the aircrew helps me alot, but still you need to do all the studying.

It's true, you just have to keep in the studying loop, because where I went wrong in the past is that I wrote, waited 6 months to write again, and then you loose some of that practice and quick thinking..... so we'll see how it goes this time round.

Thanks for the boost in confidence... Needed it !!!!

Happy Landings!!!

ANVAK
28th Aug 2005, 18:49
Unfortunately the success rate is directly proportionate to the amount of time spent on your backside in front of the books. And actual hours and experience does help - so if you should be a reasonably low time PPL I would suggest that you take time off to study and find help on the stuff that makes you miss the pass mark. I've done many years of lecturing both ATP and CPL and remain astounded at the lack of knowledge on basic stuff, which was clearly not explained during PPL training. Work at it and good luck! :D

Recuperator
28th Aug 2005, 20:58
Not sure how many subject for comm now, but for my ATPL, years ago, I initially wrote only 4 exams, as we had to pass 3 to carry the subjects. I passed 3, then took a month to study 2 more and wrote, passed both, then studied a month, passed the last 2 and that was all of them in the bag.

This way, it took a lot off pressure off trying to study for all of them at the same time and I saved a lot of time and money. Small chunks also helped keep the motivation up, as it wasn't a mountain of studies all at the same time. Nothing is more disheartening and demoralising than failing subjects time after time.

But I really put the hours in and worked off a study schedule, which I religiously stuck too.

I studied as much as possible at work for 3 weeks and nights too, then took a week off and studied from 0800 - 1000, 1030 - 1230, an hour’s break for lunch and then 1330 - 1530, 1600 - 1800, alternating the subjects, from morning to afternoon, to avoid getting bored. Evenings were available to get to mates to explain stuff. Thus it was all self study.

But as the fellow aviators pointed out in the tread, it is a combination of many hours studying, doing lots of questions and understanding what you’re studying. It sometimes takes time to figure some things out for yourself, but it definitely broadens your understanding and simplifies matters in the exams when they throw you a curveball. As I said with the really difficult stuff, I made notes of the stuff I did not grasp initially and I consulted mates at night if I really could not figure it out.

Then all you need to pull it all off is motivation, mix it all together and you should find yourself qualified in a sought after and very fun environment.:ok:

Another important issue, ASAP after getting your Comm subjects, write your Instructors exams and then get some hours and do your ATPL exams. It keeps the info fresh in your mind and ATPL is mostly an extension on CPL info.

Companies like to hear you have done your ATPL exams even if short of the hours, as it demonstrates that you are a self motivated person and worth while spending the money on for that twin rating. Companies do not like begging pilot’s to get their ATPL and with the competition for work getting stiffer everyday, I’d much rather hire a guy I know has already done his ATPL exams.

Good luck! It’s hard work but well worth the effort in the end.
:cool:

Erte
29th Aug 2005, 05:20
Recuperator,

Thanks for the advise. Will try that scedule of yours. Sounds like the winning plan!!!

SpootNICK
29th Aug 2005, 05:40
Chin up,

Ive completed all my exams a few months ago, and I self-studied for all of them, and passed them all first time too........:ok:

Here's how I did it,

Focus youre studying on one subject at a time, try and work through a new subject each day (this helps avoid bordom :yuk: ). Then two weeks prior to the exams, schedule a few hours with a ground school instructor for each subject, to help you with those anoyingly difficult questions.....this was my saving grace - as the 2/3 hours instruction for each subject realy helped 'iron out' any potential problems.

I made use of CFA at Grand Central. There are a couple of really good ground instructors who are willing to help you out.....Rate is around R200/hour. They have computer based exams too, which you can work on......

Best of Luck,

Sipho
29th Aug 2005, 09:29
Erte,

Try Wings and Things in Lanseria for questions software with demo questions for CPL. Helped me! I think they are just over R200 per disk.

Good luck!

S.

contraxdog
31st Aug 2005, 01:33
As always I tend to disagree when it comes to advice on passing this hurdle. And before I start a storm in a teacup let me explain.
The fact that the exams are flawed is widely acknowledged. Any multiple choice exam that has an option for remark, means the exams are flawed, for one of a couple of reasons.
1. The invigilator that compiled the exam didnt take the time to do the questions himself, to get the correct answer, to make sure that each question has a correct answer, or only one correct answer.
2. He did did take the time to do the question and got it wrong, thus none of the answers were correct to start of with, or more than one.

I have been told that there was an offer to do all the questions, by an outside invigilators, in the data base, thus correcting the flaw , for a fee, but the offer was declined graciously by CAA. (The offerer informed me of this).

Here is my method. It worked 100%

I collected all the questions I could lay my hands on, bought, borrowed and copied them. CFA had a fair number of up to date questions in their data base.
I did a course for some, self studied for some.
I proceeded to work through the questions a couple of times until I could recognise a question right away and remember the method to get to the right answer. This gives you the edge of trying to work out what they are asking, thus saving time.
I booked 7 subjects the first week but only studied to write 4.
I wrote 7 passed 3 in the high 80's and asked for a remark on every subject I failed above 70%.
I waited to hear the result of the remark for a week. While I waited I studied for the 4 remaining ones as if I was going to fail the remark, by redoing the questions again and again 12hrs per day. I passed two of the four in the high 80's on the remark. The moment I got the results I booked for the remaining two wrote it and failed scoring 70%. I again asked for a remark. I studied a week longer on the remaining two as if I was going to fail the remark. I got the result of the remark, after a week, and passed with 86%, and 87%
Seven in the bag. Average passmark 86.5%
So utilise the remark function that is available.I bugeted for it, I used it and it paid for me.
Remember we arent all rocket scientists, but we dont have to be stupid.
Plan, buget, exercise, then execute using all recourses, but have a backup ready.
Dont see it as an academic endevour because it isnt.
Its a hurdle that you must get over.
The only thing you must remember is how much does it hurt not having yet passed the hurdle. That will motivate you!
I agree with one of the previous posts. The moment you have passed this hurdle tackle the next one, ALTP, because you would only need half the excercise. It would make sence dont you think?
That is what that hurdle is all about.
Give it stick.

Exhaust Manifold
2nd Sep 2005, 06:42
Good idea to do ATP soon after comm, made it alot easier for me to pass especially since I was working then.

For my comm and ATP I concentrated on studying 2 subjects a day. Like Recuperator I took a couple of breaks between studying. Don't wear yourself out by studying non stop have a few breaks or else your brain stops learning after a while.

Good luck :ok:

Stayinalive
3rd Sep 2005, 04:39
Doesnt this bring back memories....agree about the 90 odd % of the ATP subject matter thats identical to Comm thats senseless anyway. Now they try and trick u with clever little things like...if A to B is at a bearing of XXX...bla bla bla ....then what is the relative bearing of C from A.....oh yeah easy to turn a simple question around. And clever.....
This Notam is of an efemeral nature...what the hell is EFEMERAL??......simple in Afrikaans...Tydlike..why not just say temporary?
At least in the States they ask directly what they want...so in return they get what they want with simplicity.
Point is simple...keep people in aviation thinking the same way...ATC and Pilots alike...
What did ATC say George?....
Not sure Capn......
WHOOP WHOOP...BANG!!!!

south coast
3rd Sep 2005, 13:23
once again mr contraxdog, a great posting.

just shows you how much of a joke the whole process is when you can initially fail an exam, and then on a remark pass it, and pass it by quite a margin...(no offence to you old boy)

how can the sacaa charge for this when it is so badly flawed as previously mentioned!

the sacaa should aslo stop trying to make money and perhaps adopt a set up such as in the european licence where you do the ppl and straigjht after that one set of atpl exams, why should you do 2 sets, ie. cpl then atpl, when the atpl seems to be mostly cpl anyway.

all just more exams for you to fail and for them to make money!

anyway, i would nt even bother, redo them and whatever you get, as cd says, ask for a remark and i am sure you will suddenly pass!

bit of a joke, but hey, whatever it takes to get the licence...

contraxdog
3rd Sep 2005, 20:35
Thank you for the compliment old man, coming from you ....
I just remembered..after all being said there is always the financial method to pass the exams.
Buy the papers!
This is Africa after all, everthing has a price nowadays....
Its been tried and tested AND found to be successful!
The hard part would be to keep it quiet afterward, because you might feel tempted to recoup the capital expenditure, utilize your entrepeneural skills and sell them to ,10 other, end users, at half price,who might want to do the same et al.
All these decisions! All these possibilities!

Erte
5th Sep 2005, 11:38
And another thing........ If the SACAA says that "eish....you are using the wrong formula and notes bubba" then why do they not bring out their own set of notes??????? Got that reply when I wrote Flight Planning and questioned a formula for Max Weight calculation.

BUPPMFFEL
6th Sep 2005, 19:09
I wrote my cpl exams in Feb this year. What worked for me was going through all the subjects at least 4 times and doing as many questions as possible. I studied on average 10-13 hours a day for 1 and a half months, and did nothing else. Treat your cpl like a matric exam and put maximum effort. I advise writing all in one week, if you can manage it. It also allows get them over with quickly, you'll have knowledge from all subjects at your disposal and you'll feel great when you pass all at the end of the week! As for questions I found the Central Flying Academy Q & A books very good. In all combined with Aeronav I did around 5000 questions before writing. There is also a C.D floating around that has notes and questions from the old FTC from grand central that is excellent. Do your ATP as soon as you get your comm lic. I know everyone is eager to go into flying immediately, but take the time and get the frozen ATP. Everyone tells me that it will stand you in good stead later on, also there is only about 30% more stuff than cpl so its best to do them when cpl knowledge is fresh. The subjects are valid for 5 years so you'll have plenty time to get 1500hrs. Hope this helps, now get back to work.

Erte
6th Sep 2005, 19:18
Look, time is my problem. I work (not fly) 8 to 10 hrs a day. The spare time I use to study, but someway I'm not getting their. Strike all around the 70% mark, but short that extra 5% somewhere. Any idea where someone can get hold of that CD? I've got about 400 to 500 questions on each subject, so I know the answer before I've done the question !!:yuk:

Gooneybird
8th Sep 2005, 05:23
In the waiting room before you sit an exam, there used to be adverts for private tutors. I used Willy Marais, he had his own notes, and was an excellent tutor. That was 4 years ago though.

zssp
8th Sep 2005, 20:17
erte where u bassed i have a ftc cd if u intrested

ou Trek dronkie
8th Sep 2005, 21:48
I'ts not the questions, it's the answers wot counts !

oTd

Deskjocky
9th Sep 2005, 13:33
zssp,

Im writing in October, any chance you can see your way through to letting me have a copy too?

EladElap
13th Sep 2005, 10:10
I'm also writing end of October, if anyone has some Comm questions on CD please get in touch with me, don't mind shelling outa bit for them too. Mail me at [email protected]

thanks

Ekiam
14th Nov 2005, 11:29
Just read through the posts... you said that you wrote in October. And? How did it go? Passed any? Just wondering cause I might have to take them as well one day. Can you recommend anything (besides studying)? Any suggestions? Want to share any insight/wisdom?

joshuaw
14th Nov 2005, 16:25
You can find the CD's for at least 4 of the subjects from an instructor who instructs at CFA, SAA A340 pilot. Call them and ask for the contact numbers. Great CD and definetly worth it.

Deskjocky
16th Nov 2005, 12:09
I wrote in early October- signed up for 4 and passed 3.

I made the mistake of going for 2 exams a day over 2 days- its much better to write only one per day if you can- if only to avoid the boring wait between sessions.

I took a lot of the advice given on this thread and can only agree with a lot of what has been said- the CFA questions and answers were excellent and were a real help- although a bit on the expensive side but the sheer number of questions on each subject really makes them worthwhile. Thanks guys!!

I flunked the last exam as I ran out of time due to doing all the exams over such a short time- lesson learned!!

Im writing again in early Dec and again in Jan- hopefully that will wrap it up! My advice would be to anybody doing this is to do it in stages- aim to get 3 in your first session so that you carry and then do the rest at a pace that suits you and your shedule- although in saying this there were a number of full time 43 air school guys doing all 8 in one week- so I suppose it comes down to how much time you have to prepare.

Flyer14
16th Nov 2005, 19:21
Gentlemen! (and ladies) Well done to all the people who passed! Good luck for the rest of them. I also wrote at the CAA in the 1st week of October, so I may have met some of you. I wrote my 7 ATP sub and thank goodness passed all! True those CFA questions are good for com and atp. Seriously though when you get your 'blou boekie' study and get get those atp subs out the way. Its so much like com. As for writing all in one go, well thats a personal choice which suited me. Its not for everyone though (some days i was studyin 15 hours a day which is really, really not fun). Even out of all the 43 guys who wrote all in my sitting only one actually passed all, and this after a 3-4 month full-time ground school. So really it depends on your personal ability and preference. But don't leave things too long, there's a guy at my flight school who took 4 years to pass his subjects! Ridiculous. Anyway good luck to everyone! Now if I could just find someone to hire a 270 hour pilot.........