PDA

View Full Version : Irish atc's at FACT!!??

captainsomeday
28th Aug 2005, 07:31
Was flying into Cape Town earlier this week and was met with a strange accent on the approach freq.Not really strange but different (ie not South African).To satisfy my curiosity I asked around and found out that there are actually 2 Irish controllers there.I also found out that there are 2 other Irish controllers in PE.Is this how the Irish are planning to take over the world?!!Next thing is Air Lingus will start taking over SAA's routes!!Hide the Guinness,at least before they go on duty!!!Anyways welcome to SA.

28th Aug 2005, 07:35
The Irish got a mention here. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=169838&highlight=irish+atc)

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Aug 2005, 08:03
The only thing that would tempt me to fly SAA would be if they began serving a decent beer on board. Fortunately, that's not likely to happen.....:rolleyes:

Hope the Goldfish has his spare liver on standby to cope with the craic.:ok:

Goldfish Jack
28th Aug 2005, 10:12
Aye you are right - we do have 2 x Irish controllers on approach. Fitted in well and seem to be having a good time - don't like the SA guiness at all - say it tastes kinda &^^%%$

And you might be lucky enough to hear them in the tower one of these days...!!

THey are not taking it over yet - there is still a rumour that Scare Lingus will be flying here one of these days!

PS LTU will be bringing back their Dublin flight in a few weeks so we might even get a few more Irish down here .............anything beats a Pom! Gosh aren't they arrogant after their display in the cricket!

MarkD
28th Aug 2005, 12:19
Lots of articles in the Irish rags about how cheap SA property is, especially since most of the cheap Spanish and Porto property is already gone!

Expect EI 330s as soon as they start getting real with the crewing requirement. However, if it does start, DUB is not an easy airport to transfer flights (have to go landside and back again) but it does have US pre-clearance if you're going there.

Radar Pete
28th Aug 2005, 17:03
With the sudden decrease of APP staff at the big JIA it is only a matter of time you will hear more funny accents. The ATC's from procedural APP units is also a bit slim. When is ATNS going to work their way out of the pickle they have got themselves into? Since inception they have been short of ATC's. The reason, where does one start. Slowly things have improved but they still have a long way to go to even consider themselves a "Preferred Provider" or even a leader. I will admit, they have got some things right but the model they use to determine staffing is archaic to say the least. All the model does is prove to outsiders that they have enough staff. In the real world they should double what they have and add 10% for good measure. ATNS started on the wrong foot many years ago and with increased traffic, AA Laws and dodgy staff models will take a long time to rectify.

Out of interest, the return of SA expats in the middle east would have solved there problem years ago had they gone about it in a professional manner, not the "come back and we might give you a job" attitude.

TAVLA Northbound
30th Aug 2005, 01:19
Yep. And that is why Jo'burg and Cape Town are going to be the United Nations of the ATC world for a long time to come. I doubt, however, if you guys will ever get anyone from Scandinavia again. But the crazy mix of people sure makes for a great work environment eh?:ok: