PDA

View Full Version : Rum Rat Heaven?

SoftTop
27th Aug 2005, 18:11
Not long now (a couple of months) before I sample the delights (accompanied by the better half) of the Grenadines.

Just wondering if there's any advice (sage or otherwise) on sampling the rums out there. My idea of a good rum is one that makes your eyes water but you can still smile (voluntarily) afterwards!!

All suggestions welcome. We'll have a couple of weeks to "rate" them, will that be enough time?

Cheers

ST

crack up
29th Aug 2005, 15:42
"Caribbean" dark and light, 'bout as smooth as it gets.
Cuello's Distilleries, Belize

They also have some products that have a distintive Jet-A after taste, classic rot gut.

They do get the "Caribbean" rum right though.

VeRmiLLioN
1st Sep 2005, 10:47
Mount Gay Rum from Barbados is a fine choice as well.

:cool:

malagajohn
1st Sep 2005, 17:40
Can't beat English Harbour XO from Antigua

-

SoftTop
1st Sep 2005, 17:41
We'll be in BGI land at the start and finish of the trip so that open the field up a wee bit I reckon.

Thanks both for the initial pointers.

Not long before we start counting down the days :cool:

ST

Malagajohn - you just beat me to it. I\'ll add the name to the list.

Cheers. :ok:

malagajohn
1st Sep 2005, 20:54
Soft Top
have you tried the vintages?

Only available in select outlets

If i could guarantee supply i'd give up single malts:O :O

tropical wave
2nd Sep 2005, 00:24
Try Angostura 1919 Premium Rum.......aged 8 years

SoftTop
2nd Sep 2005, 06:05
... and the list grows.

I just hope I'm able to remember the trip afterwards!!

I hadn't considered that there might be "vintage" rum. Does that mean it was made in a particular year, or that it's X years old (like whisky)?

Thanks folks.

ST

nungry
2nd Sep 2005, 13:33
You can't pass through the Grenadines and not try St Vincent Very Strong Rum. It's as smooth as paint thinners, will take oil off the driveway, and legend has it, was once used as an alternate fuel to get a 206 out of trouble. Good stuff that.

yardman
2nd Sep 2005, 14:13
Not sure if it's available in the Grenadines but you'll want to try Jamaican Appleton 21 year old rum. Another good choice is Appleton VX which is aged for 12 years.

SoftTop
5th Jan 2006, 20:47
All, thanks for the advice. It was a great trip and I don't think I'll be able to stay away now. Only managed a couple of rum types - got suckered into the rum punches (best one was in the Gingerbread, Bequia).

The highlight of the trip was the return leg when we bounced through Union Island - what a SHORT runway.:uhoh: The hill on short final doesn't help:eek:

Cheers all

ST

Captain Stable
6th Jan 2006, 11:17
ALL the runways in the Grenadines are interesting - turbulence on final to Bequia, hills all around Mustique, short rough strip with hills either side in Canouan, and, as you say, that lump on final into Union Island.

But not much beats St. Barts.