PDA

View Full Version : Let's SKYPE

Kaptin M
27th Aug 2005, 12:05
It's free!
Register under your PPRuNe username - do a search for other PPRuNers who have regstered, and we can chat in REAL voice mode.
Any takers?

BRL
27th Aug 2005, 12:10
Hi. Most of us are doing this anyway, been doing it for ages now.

You didn't get your invitation...... Must be in the errm, post, maybe it will turn up soon....... ;)

(Door---------->)

Kaptin M
27th Aug 2005, 12:17
Really?
A few searches on several different names turned up 0.
There were 3 brl's, but their user profiles gave no indication that any of them were PPRuNe related. :confused:

BRL
27th Aug 2005, 12:36
Nah I was just kidding mate.

Good idea if everyone gets behind it. :ok:

Jerricho
27th Aug 2005, 15:28
Will this mean I'll be able to taunt you in real time Kapt?

Keygrip
27th Aug 2005, 15:35
I'm already there - "squeakmail"

But why would you want to talk to me?

If you ever do - take into account we are GMT -5.

timmcat
27th Aug 2005, 16:38
OK - I'm in as 'timmcat' - now just need to get a headset. :ooh:

Binoculars
27th Aug 2005, 16:52
Sounds like an interesting concept, though I have no idea what's involved at this stage. Are there a lot of faceless voices shouting at once? Just like JB only live? Are there private rooms? :E I don't want to be stuck with listening to Send Clowns banging on live about people missing his point and not understanding his argument. :rolleyes:

Oh well, I'll monitor the progress at a more suitable time than almost 3am, have a look at the software and make a decision then. :8

Keygrip
27th Aug 2005, 17:01
It's an easy concept - download the freebie software, plug in your headset (or, as in my case, speakers and a desk mic.) and then call each other.

It's just like "messaging" but using voice over internet. It's a free of charge telephone service between computers, a very cheap telephone service between a computer and a land line and, a convenient way of getting very cheap calls from a landline to your computer (internationally, if you wish).

Works great.

Jerricho
27th Aug 2005, 17:03
Works great

As you say Keygrip, when you leave your computer on and forget to set your status as away.......... and somebody forgets what time it is and tries to call you at 0315.

It does make a lovely ring noise!

SyllogismCheck
27th Aug 2005, 17:06
'Scuse me if I'm missing something here but you've been able to do real time voice messaging using messenger for years.

What's the difference? You still both have to be at your computers and everything right?... I'm not seeing it. :confused:

Binoculars
27th Aug 2005, 17:09
Who let you out of Agony Aunt, SC? Are they handing out weekend leave passes these days? :8

SyllogismCheck
27th Aug 2005, 17:12
Beggin' yer pardon, but I banned myself after a supposed working day got severely compromised on Thursday. It was all in the name of charity of course.... but charity won't pay the bills. :hmm:

Now, whassa difference? Anyone? :confused:

visibility3miles
27th Aug 2005, 18:18
I know people who use telephone over internet, with mixed results, and others who talk via AOL IM quite well.

I haven't tried using Skype, but have had a couple suggest it to me.

I also spoke with a stockbroker who thought it would make long-distance telephone providers do badly.

Keygrip
27th Aug 2005, 19:37
SG - I've wondered the same - what's the difference....although you don't have to have a computer at each end (as somebody said) - you can call a landline.

My favourite piece of communication software is "Trillian" - it allows you to run, and chat with, AOL IM, MSM Messenger, ICQ, IRC, Yahoo chat and more........all at the same time.

Farrell
27th Aug 2005, 20:19
Hey Keygrip

When I was at EFT, you gave me directions to Orlando using Mappy or something like that, but you had a really cool piece of kit that allowed you to access your own PC from outside......can you tell me what it was called.?

Cheers

Wayne

Josh10524
27th Aug 2005, 21:36
I'm on as Adam_Carolla. I'd use my Pprune name but I've been on Skype long before this thread.

Conan the Librarian
27th Aug 2005, 22:31
For general VoIP phone calls, I use Sipgate, where I get a geographically local phone number (and free) But for web based Yakkedy Yah, why not use MSN Messenger, Yahoo or any other (This is the daft bit - probably already installed) piece of IM flotsam?

Conan

Keygrip
28th Aug 2005, 00:51
Farrell/Wayne

www.gotomypc.com

Superb bit of kit that lets me log into my own PC from any internet connection site.

I can access all my own files, print stuff out locally (wherever I am in the World), copy files - everything.

There's another called PCAnywhere - but it requires software laoding on the remote machine as well as the you you have at home.

Farrell
28th Aug 2005, 01:49
Great! Thanks Keygrip.

Back out to Aviator in January so see you then I'm sure.

Wayne