PDA

View Full Version : World's richest man can't stop kowtowing

Alpha Leader
27th Aug 2005, 09:40
Microsoft's MSN web site in China has - at the request of the Chinese government - banned terms such as "democracy".

It's good to see an upstanding American like Bill Gates abandoning core American values for a Yuan or two :yuk:

What next..... getting butt:mad: on stage by Hu Jintao?

tony draper
27th Aug 2005, 09:59
Softlee softlee catchee monkey. :E

Alpha Leader
27th Aug 2005, 14:19
So who is the monkey in this scenario, Drapes?

tony draper
27th Aug 2005, 15:06
Well, its not meant in any racist way Mr Alpha, it's the motto of the Scotland Yard Flying Squad, it also means, if you wish to change or accomplish something, get yer foot in the door as it were, go about it in a quiet way.
One likes the Chinese.
:rolleyes:

Capn Notarious
27th Aug 2005, 19:45
That when the chimney sweep disappeared up the chinese chimney, the little boy was heard to say.

Flue man chew.

Alpha Leader
28th Aug 2005, 02:38
Drapes, you must have misunderstood..... I could not see any racist undertone in your comment (and living as a non-Indian in India, let me tell you I am exposed to racism on a daily basis :mad: ).

I was just wondering whether you saw Bill Gates being the monkey to be caught or vice-versa :ok:

gatfield
28th Aug 2005, 03:33
It's ok Alpha Leader,

America only pays lip service to democracy anyway.

Maxflyer
28th Aug 2005, 07:37
Sounds like a sensible corporate decision to enable the company to get into the world's most lucrative burgeoning marketplace.

airship
28th Aug 2005, 14:54
I'd kowtow for a few million! :O I'd even do the whole monkey act complete with sound effects and scratching one's armpits...for another $500k, I'd stick my finger up me :mad: and sniff it then pretend to faint as well... :)

Unwell_Raptor
28th Aug 2005, 19:23
This is the same idea that Murdoch had when he pulled BBC News off his Star satellite to suck up to the Chinese. Just after Tiananmen Square.

Yuck.

Blacksheep
29th Aug 2005, 04:55
Change comes in many different ways and softly, softly really does work. Tiananmen Square was an atrocity in itself but it triggered a softly, softly revolution. Anyone who thinks differently hasn't been to China lately.

Words can be dangerous and "Democracy" is one of the worst offenders - it has too many definitions to mean anything but trouble.

Alpha Leader
30th Aug 2005, 03:22
Well, one of the fundamentals underlying US foreing policy is spreading democracy, and we all can see how seriously this is taken when it comes to Iraq. Anyone disagreeing is branded unpatriotic by the Bush administration.

So it will Bill Gates be branded unpatriotic for not towing the government line of spreading freedom and democracy? Will we even see him singled out as a traitor for undermining the ideals of the American way of life?

gatfield
30th Aug 2005, 04:25
Alpha Leader,

Haven't you figured out yet,

It's just rhetoric.