PDA

View Full Version : Fog at Cape Town

Goldfish Jack
27th Aug 2005, 09:11
Just a quick word to all the crews, who went around, or who were put in holds, were slowed down etc on Thurs am when the fog unexpectedly arrived and the ILS was CAT1.

Sorry for the delays, but the dear old ILS was unreliable so we downgraded it pending an investigation as to the cause of the problem.

Nothing like having a bit of extra pressure when you are getting your annual check-out!!!!

Thanks for the understanding and patience. Glad to see you were all able to get in OK, albeit sometimes on the second attempt!

ILS has been fixed - was a faulty connection in a switch box or something like that and it is now back to CAT3.

Now for the next question - anyone know when the SAAF are going to repair the Robben Island VOR???

1st prize is a trip to Robben Island, 2nd prize is a night on Robben Island.................

nugpot
27th Aug 2005, 12:33
Hello Goldfish aka "Mr 5 iron"

Speaking of RIV. Can you ask your colleagues to rather give us non-standard departures off 19 to WDH & WVB instead of KODES. I feel like such a ^%$ to query the departure.

Cheers

beechbum
27th Aug 2005, 15:56
And also a non -standard missed approach instead of us always asking!!!! As you said the other day G.J. as per the VOR/DME missed approach. Short and sweet!!!!

Goldfish Jack
28th Aug 2005, 10:24
Nugpot, CAA (and ATNS requirements) require you to fly a SID off an instrument runway, where there is one, unless it is not possible due to navaid defiiciency, wx related issues etc.

There is no harm in asking for one, but chances you will get it are not very good, in part due to the increase in traffic, as well as above-mentioned issues. We are aware of a few shortcomings on the SIDs and STARs and we are trying to address them, but some people insist on flying them as well!

You are never going to be able to satisfy everyone all the time, but we are trying and besides many operators enjoy flying them off runway 19 when the weather is nice, as you can check the Pens out!!!!!!!! (Pity you cant see the babes at Clifton!!)

Gunship
28th Aug 2005, 10:44
Oh fog ... can not trust you guys when I leave you alone ;)

Goldfish Jack
28th Aug 2005, 21:28
Sorry guns

I promise to behave myself.
I promise to behave myself
I promise to behave myself
i promise to
i promise
i
ag lets have another dop

anyone seen elvis recently - need him parade around here and sing to us on why they huey is such a problem

Gunship
29th Aug 2005, 18:17
Oh fog - I am not serious - except - please take a dop on me and my poor partner (think he is alcoholic as he even drinks milk filled with nuts after 4 days here).

PS: Elvis - eischhh heard some lovely stories from the oke's at Waterfront. Wish I can actually meet the oke ;)

Oh fog :E