View Full Version : Value of jump flying?

10000FT
27th Aug 2005, 01:51
A lot of pilots seem to think that jump flying isn't really a flying job, and i can understand where they are coming from. But i think there are a lot of good points to jump flying. For one the amount of landing practice that a jump pilot gets in all kinds of conditions, must be worth something.
Also there are great opportunities for jump pilots to get onto bigger and better a/c, a lot sooner than you are able to in charter. I know jump pilots that have gotten onto caravans with 200hrsTT and walked away with 1500 turbine experience from less than 2000hrsTT. I know of one pilot who only every flew jumpers and then was taken by an airline.
There is possiblities for s/e and m/e piston and turbine flying, sometimes even without an instrument rating.
I think too we are only going to see more and more s/e turboprops coming into GA more many things not to mention taking over the role of many of the older twin pistons.
i think turbine experience will become more valuable and its really not that hard to get, just by jump flying.

i'm interested to know peoples opinions on this.

drshmoo
27th Aug 2005, 01:58
You make some good points but at some stage before you get into an airline carrying passengers you probably need some A to B flying and some IFR planned and actual IMC approaches. Sitting in the right hand seat of an airline is not the place to be learning how to shoot and NDB/VOR in anger. But very good way to get onto a turbine earlier and when you couple that with some charter time then it would be good.
Any flying experience is good for you and any diversity of flying is good for you. The more differents types of flying (parachute flying, instructing, charter etc) you have done the more feathers in your cap.

elemenohpee
27th Aug 2005, 05:29
solid post drshmoo a good way to start of get into a turbine fairly early however variety is the spice, all the best!:ok:

Contract Con
27th Aug 2005, 06:18
Gday,

Good experience to be had for sure. Just fly as accurately and smoothly at all times and stay disciplined. The jumpers will notice the difference. Nothing like being IMC at F160 with 8 blokes hanging off the side!

Have fun and get out before you get bored, i stayed too long and began to create my own excitement, not a good idea.

Cheers,

Contract Con:ok:

P.s before we all start bangin on about the "imc" bit, calm down!

GeeBeeZee
30th Aug 2005, 02:59
10000ft check your pm's

flyby_kiwi
30th Aug 2005, 04:35
Yep in my opinion its all worthwhile, certainally compared to other first jobs such as ab-initio instructing, vrf scenic in light singles )C172etc) - Not that im bagging those avenues at all.

Depending on who you work for you will get to fly some good jump a/c such as a 750xl, cresco etc. Some also use various twins aswell. Also, if you work at a busy organisation (at least in NZ) you can earn some real good $$$ albeit seasonal.

You will more than likley fly more hours per year on a jump plane than instructing which can help in the long run.

VMC TO IMC
1st Sep 2005, 07:16
Is there such a thing as too many jump hours?

Especially if most of the time is on a 182.

flyby_kiwi
2nd Sep 2005, 00:53
Yep, but depending on your long term goals you can have to much time on anything.