PDA

View Full Version : 12 is the magic number

146 reasons not to
27th Aug 2005, 00:47
My 6 year old come home from school the other day and asked me to ask him his 4 times table we went through it no probs untill we got to 4 times 11 he's wise enough to know the answer but struggled with 4 times twelve his sister who is 8 pipes up "we only have to learn to times ten".
Now this is another example of Euro madness here comes the next generation who cant navigate because 12 is not taught anymore.
Think about it 360 degrees in a circle 30 when you divide by 12
36 if you divide by 10 .12 lunar cycles in a year 1 a month by twelve 1 every 1.2 months by 10.
Mr Harrison went a long way to work out how far west or east we were from Greenwhich based on twelve, all our engineers work in quarters eighths sixteenths and 32nd's based on 12 inches in a foot .
the Schuller pendulum which keeps your IN platform vertical works on the fact it takes 420 seconds for one cycle
and nautical miles use twelve a well .
Old Julie Ceaser had his 10 month calender but that was wrong
For the future of correct navigation we must ignore Metric and teach our kid's the twelve times table and if any Eurocrats read this I know it's above your head but think if there was 120 pennies in the pound then that's 20 p more you could claim on your next lunch (and for Euro Mp' s there is 720 feet in a cable divisible by 12 and at the end is an anchor with a W)

Jerricho
27th Aug 2005, 01:54
12 beers to get the party started................or to coerce Mrs J into jiggy jiggy.

Onan the Clumsy
27th Aug 2005, 02:42
...at which point out comes the mighty twelve inches...

...or is it the more modern ten centimetres?

:}

cyclicmicky
27th Aug 2005, 08:09
One only has 3 inches (a quarter of the mighty twelve),
one has been told that some ladies like it that wide!!:E :E :E
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-035.gif

Erwin Schroedinger
27th Aug 2005, 08:26
(146 reasons not to) / 12 = 123.16666' reasons not to :rolleyes:

Totally agree though.

Take their calculators and computers away and young adults, never mind young kids, are lost! :ooh:

Grainger
27th Aug 2005, 09:12
Having a bit of fun with the decimal point are we, Mr Schroedinger ? ;)

Flypuppy
27th Aug 2005, 10:26
Now this is another example of Euro madness here comes the next generation who cant navigate because 12 is not taught anymore.

OK, you will have to excuse me, I am oviously hard of thinking. What the fcuk has Europe got to do with this?

My wife is a primary school teacher in Holland and she teaches the times table up to n x 15 (this is to the age groups 8-10). Neither I or my missus is aware of any european regulations regarding the teaching of mathematics. If you really are worried about this, speak first to your children's teachers. If you still have no satisfaction following those meetings organise a meeting with the school's head teacher. If that still brings no satisfaction contact your local education authority and write a letter to the Department for Education and Skills.

You can contact the Department via e-mail [email protected] or call them on 0870 000 2288.

You never know it might have more effect than having a europhobic rant on an aviation related bulletin board. :rolleyes:

SASless
27th Aug 2005, 10:54
Ooooooh touchy....touchy.....stepped on some digits....did he?

:uhoh:

http://www.polar.sunynassau.edu/~dozenal/intro.pdf

Takes a minute or so to load....must be counting in tens....for 32 bit data.

rhythm method
27th Aug 2005, 10:58
But Mrs Flypuppy only teaches up to 10 year olds... not 12!

Send Clowns
27th Aug 2005, 11:17
Flypup

It is not directly related to Europe, but it is related to decimalisation, which itself is related to Europe. It isn't a great leap to make the connection! Personally I think it is caused by very lazy thinking that is going through certain areas of education.

Flypuppy
27th Aug 2005, 15:02
It is not directly related to Europe, but it is related to decimalisation, which itself is related to Europe. It isn't a great leap to make the connection!

I suppose it isn't too much of a leap if you have a bizarre twisted way of thinking. A bit like jumping to the conclusion that an innocent man deserved to die, eh Clowns? :hmm:

WE Branch Fanatic
27th Aug 2005, 15:06
Surely instead of learning tables of by heart, they would be better of learning how to work it out?

Jerricho
27th Aug 2005, 16:23
Surely instead of learning tables of by heart, they would be better of learning how to work it out?

Why? Works for me with ATC :p

ComJam
27th Aug 2005, 16:40
Probably explains why not one of my last batch of Flying Scholarship Cadets (C1996) was able to tell me how long it would take to travel 9 nautical miles at a Groundspeed 90 kts without asking if they could refer to their calculator! It would seem they have no basic grounding in Arithmetic anymore.

Nice to see the GCSE pass levels are rising every year! :rolleyes:

con-pilot
27th Aug 2005, 19:36
There are 24 (12+12) bottles of beer in a case.

There are 24 (12+12) hours in a day.

Coincidence? I think NOT! :suspect:

CUNIM
27th Aug 2005, 20:03
I'll drink to that, Hic

Onan the Clumsy
28th Aug 2005, 04:24
Surely instead of learning tables of by heart, they would be better of learning how to work it out? I'd disagree. I think rote learning of basic building blocks is quite valuable. THe ability to work a problem out is also useful, but tables are well suited to rote learning.

Once that's accomplished, then the patterns they make can be examined.

Ultralights
28th Aug 2005, 04:32
think of it this way, which generation invented the calculator? and which generation is dumbing down the current education systems and teaching it to our kids ??