PDA

View Full Version : For Sunfish - Re ACFT Inbound from Brighton

CAVOK Pilot
26th Aug 2005, 23:06
Hi Sunfish, saw the other post was closed so adding this here.

Another case that concerns me - aircraft inbound for YMMB from Brighton when runway 31L or 35L is in use for outbound aircraft heading northwest. Outbound, One instructor sees no problem, an examiner on the other hand asks for a climb to 2000 ft ASAP to avoid the possibility of a head on.
I understand your concern, I share it as I also call YMMB home. Now I'm only a newbie myself but as I see it arriving ACFT *should* descend to 1000 by 3NM MB (unless ATC says otherwise) and as you are climbing out you should be well and truly above 1000 before leaving the CTRL Zone @ 3NM heading north, so the examiner is on the right track I'd say. Always good to climb as high as C LL for safety anyway.

Absolutely right about the regs, they can't teach you how to apply that knowledge to everyday situations. I find picking other more experienced pilots brains helps me (and drives them crazy). :D

flyforfun
27th Aug 2005, 11:53
Sunfish you said
"I know I am demonstrating my absolute lack of knowledge to a wide audience here, but I'm sick and tired of textbooks that don't give answers to simple questions and references to rules and regulations that are drafted in obscure legalese."

There is no one answer to lots of questions that aviation raises,
however, there is one thing that will get you safely through most of you concerns, AIRMANSHIP, oh and a little common sense helps as well.

If you are looking for someone to hold your hand through-out your flying life you are engaged in the wrong pass time. Being able to say " I am pilot in command of this aircraft" brings along with it the certain obligations, one of which, is the responsibility to make command decisions.

Sunfish
28th Aug 2005, 11:49
FlyingFF, I agree whole heartedly otherwise I wouldn't be there.

Trouble is, I know (i think) how to do whats right for me. My concern is doing something that I think is right for me that screws things up for other aircraft.

Translation : Many many moons ago before GFPT I saw a twin really, really, close as I was "joining the circuit downwind".

I have since realised that despite reading the visual flight guide about three or more times, things are incredibly more fluid in three dimensions than in two.

To someone who is used to controlling things in two dimensions, and the rules that go along with them, it takes a little getting used to.

To put it another way, the rules for three dimensions aren't as clear cut as the rules for two. Furthermore, there doesn't seem to be as much analysis of these situations because pilots self censor things.

To put it another way: I'm satisfied that I can meet the legal requirements, trouble is I'm not sure that the requirements are sufficient, and to be prudent, I have to assume they aren't. Currently trying to inviegle an ex Ansett pilot mate into coming flying to get a few pointers - his view is that there is always something new to learn.

Capt Fathom
28th Aug 2005, 12:46
Sunfish,
You seem intent on turning something which is quite straight forward (aviation), into something more complex!
Chill out. It's not that hard! Just fly and enjoy it for what it is. Otherwise, why bother!

hadagutful
28th Aug 2005, 13:36
Sunfish,

Getting back to your original curiosity on the twin's sudden return, bit surprised the tower (assuming twr hrs) didn't ask if ops were normal and all OK or even out of their curiosity what the problem was.

Surely a request for an immediate return and straight in approach would have prompted a question from ATC?

Super Cecil
29th Aug 2005, 07:21
Is YMMB dying like every other Airfield round OZ? if it's anything like YSBK there would only be 10% of the Aircraft there was 20 years ago. You can fly into BK now weekdays and be the only Aircraft in the circuit.