PDA

View Full Version : ATPL at Oxford Aviation

Bored-teacher
26th Aug 2005, 19:52
Advice needed please.

After being accepted at Oxford Aviation on their ATPL APP Integrated scheme do any of you currently 'in the know' and not connected in any way to this organisation feel that I will at 37 years of age with extensive management skills developed in teaching get a decent job at the end of it to pay back all that money?

Help!!

Blighty Pilot
27th Aug 2005, 10:08
Don't wish to put a downer on things but I would imagine you will find it difficult to get your first job. On average (certainly over the past few years anyway) it takes approximatly 15-24 months to get your first lucky break - but the industry is changing at the moment and there is a lot of expansion planned for the next few years.

I can imagine someone like yourself would be best to achieve as high a grade as you possibly can at OATS and then target airlines such as flybe, Eastern Airways or some of the smaller turboprop operators (being paid roughly £19-28k per year). This will be a good way to build your hours and experience and the company is likely to invest in you as the training risk/costs are not as high as working for a jet operator. Once you have gained this experience you shouldn't have any problem with moving onto a bigger airline. When you do move onto a bigger airline/ jet operator you then have to choose carefully as you will probably be close to 45 and you will be sat in the right hand seat for a period of time - depending on merit and seniorority - before taking the leap and significant payrise to the left hand seat.

I don't know what teachers get paid but what I can say is unless your extreamly lucky it will be a while before your earning big bucks - but at the end of the day if it's something you've always wanted to do you have to go out and do it otherwise you will regret it in the years to come.

All the best,
BP

devokeuk
27th Aug 2005, 11:30
Hi there,

What blighty pilot says makes sence. I decided to embark on my professional training at the age of 31. However, before I chose to start my modular course with OATS, I completed my PPL whilst working in my old job. The reason for this was to ensure that it really was what I wanted to do for the rest of my career without having to pay out a huge sum of money.

I have witnessed two integrated students actually drop out in the mid stages of single engine phase of the course. I think they pretty much threw 25 grand down the toilet before they realised that it was not for them.

I think once you are under no illusion that you will be making shed loads of money and are prepared to have a massive loan for a long long time, then go for it. I was very lucky and managed to get a job flying jets straight away. I have another 6 years of loan repayments of £400 pcm. For me it was never about the money but the lifestyle change. I probably end up with the same amount of cash in my pocket now as I did in my previous job ie .. not very much, but I now love going to work. I have just had two weeks leave and can't wait to go flying on Monday. I never would have dreamed of thinking like this in my old job.

My advise to you is this. Once you make the decision to change your life, stick to it. Be focused and driven towards each goal. Most guys and girls will tell you that this course is all about hoop jumping. Put to bed any personal issues that you may have in the background before you start the course as it will make life a lot easier for you in the long run. Don't worry about the age thing. Blighty Pilot has made some really good points. My feeling is, if you really want it, go for it. Who knows what lies around the corner in ones life. Sure, there are some risks when making such a massive life changing decision but I believe that it is a calculated one. Its up to you . Best of luck what ever you decide and I hope this post has helped you .

:ok:

ptangyangkipperbang
28th Aug 2005, 18:04
Started flying at 37. Integrated course. Instructed. Got a job on 50 seat turboprop two months before 39th birthday.

All written in the above posts is correct.

Doesn't make any financial sense to do what you're thinking or what I did.

Best thing I ever did though.

acbus1
29th Aug 2005, 06:48
Extensive management skills, you say?

No chance with bmi, then. You just wouldn't fit in.....especially at so-called-management level.

As for 37, that's getting on for being too old to change to another company with thousands of jet hours, never mind get a first job with zero.

However, lets face it, if most of us had thought about the money side when we started out, none of us would have moved from our dull jobs into flying. I don't regret the leap (though I do regret, bitterly, the shambles of an airline I spent too much of my career with due to stagnant pilot markets etc)

Never say never, as the previous post demonstrates.

All the best! ;)

adwjenk
29th Aug 2005, 19:07
Bored-teacher check ur PMs

I.C.Nosignal
30th Aug 2005, 09:50
At least the bmi management had the gumption to get rid of the deadwood wouldn`t you agree ac bus1 ?

Flap43
1st Sep 2005, 20:43
after going through oxford, and around 30 other friends of mine. i would NOT reccommend them at all. if I were you i would not listen to their hype and all of their marketing. it is very good, but once they have your money you have had it. go to Jerez in spain. far better. they have their faults too, but they are not going to rip you off!
if you want to know more, pm me.
good luck, but pls dont do it!!!!!
(+ve, GR UP!:ok: )

John Green
1st Sep 2005, 22:08
Hello,

I believe I can be of more help than the people earlier. What a load of rubbish 15-24 months to get you first break, This happened for the unfortunate people who trained after 9/11. The problem was Oxford and the student were in a very difficult situation. Oxford have changed a huge amount, much more student orientated, to keep in with the modern way airline students are training. These people who bitch about Oxford are bitter because they were the unlucky people who chose to train around or after 9/11.

The APP student have an average `get a job rate` of about 5-6 months, that’s all. I myself was an APP graduate 3 months ago and start my type rating for BACX on Monday. Nearly all of my course are either waiting to start employment or going thought the process. APP is doing very well, look at there website to see the figures, and they now offer Thomas cook and Excel Sponsorships, which is a high recommendation to Oxford and its APP product.

I know a few APP student who are in employment with JET2, Astraeus, GB Airways, BACX and FLYBE who are in there late 30's.

Don’t believe all what you read on the bitching networks! but follow what you believe is right for you. There isn’t a better chance in my opinion to train and get aviation jobs now, the market is very good.

But as im sure your aware, there are a lot of people who the airlines have `missed out`, the people just after 9/11 until about 1 year ago, its a shame buts that’s the nature of the beast.

I enjoyed every second at Oxford, and knowing what I know now, I would do it all again, no hesitations at all. Very helpful staff and a fantastic environment where everyone is so eager to help, and learn. Its inspiring. My opinion is that the APP is the way forward, even places like CTC had to follow the APP's example and do the `wings` thing!

But this is my opinion from a very satisfied Oxford Customer

Good luck with the decision

John